Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Calmed down a good bit in Belfast - I can even see the stars :)

Just waiting now for part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I've never seen the likes of those two "mini-eyes" to the west of Mayo. I don't know if there's any significance to them, and I doubt they're rotating independently, but I am wondering if there is any correlation to a possible sting jet forming.

Interesting image nontheless. Almost looks like an upside down moon!

286123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Quote from news 'weather conditions across cork reported as atrocious'
    To think that met eireann hummed and hawed whether to include cork
    Arghhhh is all I can say to whoever was on in glasnevin this morning

I'm about a 15 min (slow) walk form the Met Office, its not horrendous here, maybe they're just really, really localising things!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lost power here in south kerry for less than a minute. Reset the dvd player tho and herself watching Jane Austin.....Oh the humanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Any more lightening off the East Coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lucky woman from

Connacht Tribune

Galway Lifeboat has been stood down from a call to Galway Docks after a woman was blown into the water. She is safe and well. Well done to the emergency services who are out risking their lives tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I was out in the back garden in the last few minutes. All was fine!! Light wind - some rain - Togher on the southside of Cork City

you have some nice protection over on the southside. were getting battered up here on the northside

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I was out in the back garden in the last few minutes. All was fine!! Light wind - some rain - Togher on the southside of Cork City

I was just driving through there on my way home. There's a traffic light bent over on junction of Togher Road and Pouladuff Road.

The cover of a UPC junction box narrowly avoided my car as it flew across the road as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is there a reason why there has not been much lightning associated so far with this storm, we have just had one strike in the last 2 hours http://en.allmetsat.com/images/lightning-europe.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's very bad down here at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    you have some nice protection over on the southside. were getting battered up here on the northside
    Same here at Cork airport. House on exposed hill. We are getting battered. Hailstones hitting the front window.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

It's Oíche na Gaoithe Mór part deux!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

wideangle wrote: »
    Constant high wind's here last few minute's.Douglas cork.I wish I had a weather station.

It's on my birthday list I'm in rochestown at top of hill.....it's wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree with the first Arklow poster, light breeze and no more rain in Aughrim Co Wicklow
    to be fair,Aughrim is not Arklow,it has a 2000ft mtn sheltering it from most angles.It is also a good 10 miles inland.
    Wind is still howling here near the coast,not as bad as earlier but frequently above 40 mph.
    but do ya know what,that's very quiet compared to what wind may be coming later in the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'm just in from a walk, taking a break from work. Scattered cumulus clouds scudding along nicely and at great speed. Reminds me of the skies in the Quake 1 game!

Winds are high enough with some heavy gusts that appear to be quite localised, I could see trees bending over less than half a mile away, while it was almost calm where I was, and I could hear two or three gust areas around me. Definitely invigorating! No rain at this point.

(Castletroy, Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

TeaCup2 wrote: »
    It's Oíche na Gaoithe Mór part deux!

Or storm in a teacup2? :P

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Seriously windy in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

wind picking up big time around cork harbour again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is this the peak in the west ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rougies wrote: »
    Interesting image nontheless. Almost looks like an upside down moon!

286123.jpg
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=12rOJj2xHso7NM&tbnid=2EOLlFfaxvDD_M:&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemecrunch.com%2Fmeme%2FNAIK%2Fthat-s-no-super-moon%2Fimage.png&ei=4r68Ut-5BLLX7AaHlYHQCw&psig=AFQjCNFyUJIQsndhcPC7_gxJcu5FxYyuSQ&ust=1388187746137218

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Light wind???
    You kidding us mate

Reports from cork show varing wind sometimes quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

aisling86 wrote: »
    It's on my birthday list I'm in rochestown at top of hill.....it's wild

I'm halfway up a hill,with a few 50ft trees out back but wind is blowing away from back of house.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

The BBQ, steel prep table and the cover that were on them just went flying, I've had to put planters on them now to hold them down (hopefully) and they were against the gust line, mental never seen anything like this. Wind speeds had relaxed on my PWS back up to + 50 km/h now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Same here at Cork airport. House on exposed hill. We are getting battered. Hailstones hitting the front window.

hailstones?? just rain here. wouldn't want to be out there with hailstones blowing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jaysus, it's rough here in Tuam at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Melanoma wrote: »
    Reports from cork show varing wind sometimes quiet.

Very gusty here. Eventually something has to give with the power and internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Our house pressure barometer on our hall wall in Tralee has dropped to the lowest our Dad has ever seen in 40 years of it hanging there. Unsurprisingly, it's pointing to Stormy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Picking up again in Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Mars Bar wrote: »

I thought it was always rough in Tuam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Mars Bar wrote: »

What's the weather like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement