Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Lumi wrote: »
    Strongest winds of the night so far in Galway City

Current wind speed. 30.0 mph Wind direction WSW
    Wind Speed (gust) 57.0 mph
    Wind speed (avg) 28.0 mph

Barometer 956.76 hPa Falling very rapidly -1.87 hPa/hr

God, I'm surprised the highest gust is on 57mph. It sounds much worse. I can hear slates rattling on my roof for the first time ever.

When is the peak in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Winds should be peaking on the southwest coast over the next couple of hours. Peak winds across the country then around 3-6am, though it should stay windy for the north and east coast until closer to noon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The barometer part of an electronic clock is reading 936. Not sure whether to trust it or not. Near Gorey, Wexford.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

dharma200 wrote: »
    Lights flashing on and off tuam

You must be on a different network or something, because they not flickering here (Dublin Rd)

No sign of an increase in wind here the last hour or so. Blustery all the same.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sudden increase in winds in Castlebar now! wow! getting rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody having problems with upc broadband tonight?
    I am not with upc pad, but my eircom broadband always has full signal in stormy weather strangely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A couple of slates have launched of the neighbours' roofs in the last 10 minutes here in Galway city. Really blowing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Found a strong sleeping tablet...off to bed. Keep safe everyone. God bless x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Blowy as fook tonight in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Very wild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Getting battered in Ennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

God, I'm surprised the highest gust is on 57mph. It sounds much worse. I can hear slates rattling on my roof for the first time ever.

When is the peak in Galway?

The really damaging gusts are all missing the weather station :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

manutd wrote: »
    I'm out at Lavey, tree fell near Lavey GAA pitch, power turned off for fire fire fighters safety, according to my source in the esb. Power was off for around 30-40 minutes.

I'm out near Butlersbridge. Lights haven't flashed yet. Seems to have died down now. Hope your power stays on for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

greysides wrote: »
    The barometer part of an electronic clock is reading 936. Not sure whether to trust it or not. Near Gorey, Wexford.
    No, don't trust it. It's miles off. Oak Park in Carlow was showing 967 at 11pm, probably still around that now too.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Just got a huge gust that seemed to shake the house! Don't know if sleeping through it is a good or bad idea! Howth, n Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Okay nevermind the wind has gotten really rough here in Tramore!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

just lost 4 ridge tiles claregalway utter mental now no sleep tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

loubian wrote: »
    Just got a huge gust that seemed to shake the house! Don't know if sleeping through it is a good or bad idea! Howth, n Dublin

Just had a blast of it in Waterford too, house making some noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Coles wrote: »
    That pressure reading isn't accurate. Probably closer to 965.
    It is perfectly accurate.

Shows absolute pressure 130m ASL. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just got power back on, off for just over 2 hours, got a serious battering here in Dundalk for about 90 minutes, highest gust my station recorded so far has been 87kph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

L
    handbagmad wrote: »
    Found a strong sleeping tablet...off to bed. Keep safe everyone. God bless x

Isn't it his fault? Clearly angry or bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Getting blown left right and center, very wild here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

greysides wrote: »
    My Davis near Arklow is at 966.9 if that helps you recalibrate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

whats with the lack of lightening like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sudden increase in winds in Castlebar now! wow! getting rough.

Bloody anemometer has blown away, only got it yesterday as well as a present :mad: somewhere down the garden I hope, but not going out in that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Pretty frightening here in Fethard, Co Tipp - really picked up in last 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Gone quiet hear again (outside Kildare town) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

whats with the lack of lightening like?

Indeed, there has only been 3 strikes in over 3 hours and none for the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

just lost 4 ridge tiles claregalway utter mental now no sleep tonight

I would advise anybody NOT to go outside inspecting damage. Looking out from a window is as much as anyone should attempt.

A hit to the head from a ridge tile could easily prove fatal. That can be said for most flying objects...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

And we crashed it.....

Extremely busy on website tonight so some issues that required a refresh. Still not too happy with my host so will be getting onto them after the Xmas holidays.

After a brief lull winds have picked up again to 35km/h average 75km/h gusts. The next stage begins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement