Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Seems to be getting worse in Arklow. The windows are creaking and the roof tiles are dancing on the roof.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Strongest gusts of the night so far here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Im surprised that my power / internet / SKY have not had any outages tonight so far. The lights were flickering at around 8PM, but the supply has been steady since. Our power often goes during a bad storm (North Tipp / Lim border).

*touches wood*

Yes surprisingly enough we haven't had any outages either....yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

This might help those who are wondering when the weather is going to be at its worst in their area.
    Click the arrows to see predicted wind speeds over the next few hours:
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Scouser wrote: »
    first time to the weather forum

its fascinating!

i shall be back

You should be here when it snows :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

On the plus side I made it home.

On the negative my hat is probably 17 miles away flying like a balloon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Im surprised that my power / internet / SKY have not had any outages tonight so far. The lights were flickering at around 8PM, but the supply has been steady since. Our power often goes during a bad storm (North Tipp / Lim border).

*touches wood*

Look up esb power check and see how close the breakdowns in dublin, power gone here in enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

gufc21 wrote: »
    Ugh case of beer in car bout 35 yards from front door in Galway, worth it?
    Tactical wrote: »
    No.

A head shot from flying debris or roofing material could potentially be fatal.

Stay put.

Bah!

Run the gauntlet bro, run it

575286-run-the-gauntlet-amstrad-cpc-screenshot-loading-screen-s.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

leahyl wrote: »

I am going to keep the fire stocked through the night anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if we had no power in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

*touches wood*

i've been on egg shells since 9pm tonight when the lights started flickering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Chance of being hit slim, only 35 yards for a case of beer. often went further for less:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This is unreal, im getting a bit nervous here, would the wind be poweful enough to blow a roof off anyone know

Yes save the beer, you'll be gutted if your car blows away with beer in it. :D

Yes and your family will be gutted if you take a head shot from a slate etc and end up dead :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Seems to be getting worse in Arklow. The windows are creaking and the roof tiles are dancing on the roof.
    Yup 69mph gust

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »

shhhhh

sweet mother of god, i just felt the house move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Must... stay... awake...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This is unreal, im getting a bit nervous here, would the wind be poweful enough to blow a roof off anyone know
    If your roof does start to lift open the windows and doors on the leeward side of the building

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Coles wrote: »
    I'm happy to agree to disagree, but Mt Dillon in Roscommon is slowing 958 at the moment. Seems like a big difference over a very short distance.
    Google maps says there's no Mt Dillon in co. Roscommon. :o

Knock airport is the nearest weather station to me, but AFAIK may show slightly out of date information. ;)

And my weather station just went offline, so more than likely end of transmission. Let's go to bed. ziewem4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Put on a hard hat or visor but by God save that beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

From fb of Connacht Tribune - Connacht Sentinel - Galway City Tribune
    The Harbour Master has described conditions as "ferocious" ... a gust of 135km/h has just been recorded at Galway Docks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I live in a mobile home. This has just got serious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Had to put some ballast on some stuff around the garden, but no damage so far. Mightn't be at it's worst yet though, and I reckon my neighbours could be getting a late Xmas present of a trellis from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If your roof does start to lift open the windows and doors on the leeward side of the building

And exit through the window?

One roof was already reported blown off this evening.

It was thei roof from a dog house :eek:

CUH suffered structural damage this evening.

What sort of roof are you concerned about? House, farm building, garden shed etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Its suddenly got quite rough here in Limerick City (Ennis Road area).

It was like a dishwasher earlier, now like a train.

Thanks to all who have posted with details of the weather - our elder daughter is in Cork tonight and we have been very worried about her. The on the ground reports have been very helpful and reassuring!!

Good night all and stay safe. Hopefully and damage done will be minimal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

adam88 wrote: »
    I live in a mobile home. This has just got serious
    Bye bye hard stands. Silver linings, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

I am going to keep the fire stocked through the night anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if we had no power in the morning.
    I hope it is not a stove or back boiler depending on a circulating pump when the power goes out

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Strong gusts every 10 to 15 minutes on limerick clare border no power outages yet and sky hasn't been effected all night strangely enough

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

And exit through the window?

No, the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's pretty bad in salt hill. Glad i didn't go in for a look now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement