Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Met Eireann @ midnight for Cork Airport was 35kn wind gusting to 57 kn

Now at 1 am reports is 32 kn wind gusting to 55 kn so it hasn't worsened in the last hour here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Belmullet down another 1 to 947. Lights flickered.

Where can you find out the pressure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Lights flickering on the southside of Cork City .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Shannon first non-coastal station to report a full gale at 37 kt (mean). Near contenders: Gurteen 31, Athenry 32, Claremorris 33.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I haven't experienced this wind since 1998, anyway try to get some sleep, some hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    A lot of the esb faults in cork dont have an estimated time of restore or else they say 15:00 to 16:00 27/12/2013. Is that a sign that the ESB don't know or are they waiting till morning.

Lights just flickered in the kitchen.

Probably expecting more to go out. I heard that the Tower and Blarney area lost power a couple of hours back. Unsafe to work now, so they'll wait til the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Lights flickering down here in Tomhaggard wexford, winds are defo picking up more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm half expecting to hear a window break. absolutely howling

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Went to a few pints in o Connor's was going to walk home but had to phone for a lift....its howling like never before
    Salthill car park is flooded completely... Reckon we are in the eye of the storm ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

What has the highest speed reached so far, I think Met Eireann predicted 120-150 km/h, has it managed to exceed the upper limit and if not, is the worst over yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Just had a massive gust in Bray.... the dogs were unusually anxious to get back in after their wee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Stormy Salthill
    Via Galway Advertiser
    Galway Harbour have also just reported 'ferocious conditions' and a 73knot gust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Things are calmish in cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Latest reports from Met.ie @ 01.00 confirms severe gusts at coastal stations.
    Gusts overland generally 50 to 65mp/h nothing exceptional but it set to get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Clamball wrote: »
    Met Eireann @ midnight for Cork Airport was 35kn wind gusting to 57 kn

Now at 1 am reports is 32 kn wind gusting to 55 kn so it hasn't worsened in the last hour here in Cork.

ha!!!!! sure feels like it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Went to a few pints in o Connor's was going to walk home but had to phone for a lift....its howling like never before
    Salthill car park is flooded completely... Reckon we are in the eye of the storm ATM

I reckon there's more to come.
    Power holding up here east of city, amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Night boardsies... stay safe..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

At least 25k homes without power at this point, and the strong winds are just coming in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

still no power here and lots of people out near the square. It's pretty bad out there, it remiknds me of 1997. I'm worried someone could get hurt out there.
    drink and storms don't mix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Lights still flickering here, gusts gaining in strength again, 50 - 70kph at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

liliq wrote: »
    First visit to weather! busy thread!
    How do I find my local info?
    I'm in dundrum. Thanks!

What you're experiencing now is pretty much what's going to continue for most of the night. Probably won't start easing off till sometime tomorrow morning\afternoon. That's according to the weather Pro app on my phone for Rathfarnham.
    This is a nation wide event so local weather won't be forthcoming.
    Hope that helps somewhat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Where can you find out the pressure ?

Met Eireann hourly reports.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Updated at roughly quarter past the hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The house is actually shaking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cdb wrote: »
    Blowy as fook tonight in Limerick

I love those Limerick ladieez.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A lovely gust of 72 kts at Sherkin on the 0100 reports. has been the windiest place for the past few hours. 947hpa at Belmullet, wont drop any lower than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

I reckon there's more to come.
    Power holding up here east of city, amazing!

Completely shocked that we haven't lost power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Currently measuring sustained winds in the mid-30km/hr range.

Gusting 50km/hr.

Recorded a 57km/hr gust.

Still a starry night here in West Limerick with horizontally driven rain.

Wind shifted to South Westerly.

Although I live in a sparsely populated and exposed location, there are a lot of vehicles travelling the various roads I can see from my elevated location including the local road. Vehicles on the local road travelling far too fast it they come across a tree or utility pole in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

What you're experiencing now is pretty much what's going to continue for most of the night. Probably won't start easing off till sometime tomorrow morning\afternoon. That's according to the weather Pro app on my phone for Rathfarnham.
    This is a nation wide event so local weather won't be forthcoming.
    Hope that helps somewhat.:)

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I should be in bed at this point but I'm just sitting here waiting for the power to go off... or the Steam flash sale to update at 2am, whichever comes first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Tactical wrote: »
    Currently meaduring sudysinef winds in theid-30km/hr range.

Gusting 50km/hr.

Recorded a 57km/hr gust.

Still a starry night here in West Limerick with horizontally driven rain.

Wind shifted to South Westerly.

Although I live in a sparsely populated and exposed location, there are a lot of vehicles travelling the varipus roafs I can see from my elevated location inclufing the local road. Vehicles on the local road travelling far too fast it they come across a tree or utility pole in the road.
    Have you flooding if they are travelling on the roofs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement