Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Gonna pop my phone on charge in case power goes so no updates from me from Galway for a bit.
    Stay safe everyone and please don't take foolish risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thanks for all the posts here, reassuring in a strange kinda way.

Be careful and don't put yourself in harms way to save things, that's what insurance is for !

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Shannon first non-coastal station to report a full gale at 37 kt (mean). Near contenders: Gurteen 31, Athenry 32, Claremorris 33.
    Both Casement and Dublin AP had full gale earlier
    Gale = 34kt = 39mph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Sucking diesel now in Wesht Limerick. Winds is howling and screeching out there. I'm amazed at the electricity staying on, normally a fart in donegal would have me in darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

WikiHow wrote: »
    Have you flooding if they are travelling on the roofs?

No. Cold fingers typing on a mobile phone.

Poor spelling corrected in my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i live in a 2-storey house and the contrast in conditions between the front of the house and the back is unreal.

Terrifying out the front!

but out the back is just like any other night, not a breath out there! I'm just after letting the dogs out for a run around the garden and not a bother to them.

There's not a hope in hell of me opening the front door!

(athlone)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

So far nothing here has matched the gusts from the front passing over earlier this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Tactical wrote: »
    No. Cold fingers typing on a mobile phone.

Poor spelling corrected in my post.
    OK, i guess the could be major flooding though?

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Sucking diesel now in Wesht Limerick. Winds is howling and screeching out there. I'm amazed at the electricity staying on, normally a fart in donegal would have me in darkness.

Esb Networks have undertaken a lot of upgrade work locally in West Limerick.

We took 4 brief hits earlier in the evening but have been stable since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Lightning here near Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Where is mt and maq? Superb as usual is it fair to say wind direction has changed in last hour seems worse now for my house in claregalway yet no damage since...

WikiHow wrote: »
    OK, i guess the could be major flooding though?

Not here at the moment.

Starry night. Seriously.

Some rain coming in horizontally from the South West but barely enough to wet you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Where is mt and maq? Superb as usual is it fair to say wind direction has changed in last hour seems worse now for my house in claregalway yet no damage since...

4 posts above you bro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DukeIE

What you're experiencing now is pretty much what's going to continue for most of the night. Probably won't start easing off till sometime tomorrow morning\afternoon. That's according to the weather Pro app on my phone for Rathfarnham.
    This is a nation wide event so local weather won't be forthcoming.
    Hope that helps somewhat.:)

cheers, not too far from there ( in friends ). Will it get much worse or just continue as is ? ( not driving anywhere anyway ).

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Windy here in north armagh but nothing spectacular.

Are we likely get the business end of this storm away up here at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

There is absolutly no let up / lull since this monster storm started here in Galway so violent anyone know whens the peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Strong gusts here in navan ...looking at some roof damage by the sound of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 EdwardCastle

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Went to a few pints in o Connor's was going to walk home but had to phone for a lift....its howling like never before
    Salthill car park is flooded completely... Reckon we are in the eye of the storm ATM

I thought the eye of a storm is always calm like those moments in 'The Perfect STorm' movie or is that BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

Hooter23 wrote: »
    There is absolutly no let up / lull since this monster storm started here in Galway so violent anyone know whens the peak?

Between 12-3am is the worst part of it they are saying.. Electricity is still here in castlegar just heard car alarms going off and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Airplane is on RTE 1. Also, I found a bottle of JD. Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Hooter23 wrote: »

Between now and 9am will be the worst of it in the Galway area.

So far nothing here has matched the gusts from the front passing over earlier this evening.

I've recorded a 57km/hr gust here. But generally spart from gusts, the sustained wind speeds are not exceptional or notably worse than earlier.

The shift in wind direction brings about new noises for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just home from work here in Donegal Town. It's CALM. People standing chatting on the streets outside pubs and clubs. Hardly a drop of wind. Are we expecting anything at all here as the night goes on ??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

The two Trawlers are just passing Aranmore now, maybe they will shelter in towards Greencastle

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Seany81

tornado like conditions here in kerry no let up

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DukeIE

missfemale wrote: »
    Between 12-3am is the worst part of it they are saying.. Electricity is still here in castlegar just heard car alarms going off and all

is that countrywide ?

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At 1.34am we matched the earlier gusts, over 90km/hr on both occasions, suppose if the anemometer was 20ft higher it would be 100km/hr plus.
    Average wind speed of 50km/hr also the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Getting very strong in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Alright that's nice to hear. Something metal just went flying here in north side of cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Be no bother to get it up tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement