Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Have triple glazed windows in the apartment and thought they were about to be blown in there (Dublin 4) .. could clearly see them bending. Can't even imagine what it's like down on the south coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

I give up playing BF4, power keep cutting out and coming back, think i'll stick with you guys here, it's much more entertaining in here. Absolutely howling here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

North Clare: Anyone seeing lightening? Lights been flickering all evening which i put down to the wind. However, on the way to bed I saw two flashes behind the horizon, and I had a peek before pulling the curtains and saw a longer brighter one lasting a second. Either every power center nearby is shorting of there's lightening. No hits on detectors though. Looks like it's very high up actually and might be on the upper regions of the storm. Should still show up on detectors right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

Current Terminal air forecast (TAF) at Cork Airport (about 2 kms from me in Rochestown) is attached from an app called aeroweather.

Looks like the worst of it will be up to 5 am.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heading to bed I think. No more flickering here, winds sound just as bad though, and I don't want anything on the Steam flash sale. Night people, and take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just in from the local, Hope everybody is okay. getting constant gusts to 50kts, quite unreal to belive the worst is due @ 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Maquiladora, Incar29 & co. Where are ye guys, following ye last few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Sky signal going on and off here in the last few minutes, reckon we are at the peak of it here now for the next few hours - North Co. Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

It's bee a decent 'un for sure, but to get my gold star ranking, there has to be a power cut here. That hasn't happened here in a wind storm since December 97' and before that December 93'. Time yet though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sounds as if the winds are at their strongest here now compared to earlier in the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

There is a Ryanair flight inbound to Dublin at the moment, looks like it left Prestwick. Good look to them on the approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Gusts are there strongest at the moment in my location, Now know what people mean when they say its like a train passing outside the door, Power still holding but flickering, As much as i love this weather, any substantial increase will surely cause structural issues.
    South East Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Bsal wrote: »
    There is a Ryanair flight inbound to Dublin at the moment, looks like it left Prestwick. Good look to them on the approach.

Can you give us the link to that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Aimsir wrote: »
    Maquiladora, Incar29 & co. Where are ye guys, following ye last few weeks?

Im in south kilkenny at the moment. Windy but not as severe as earlier in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

GoneHome wrote: »
    Can you give us the link to that, thanks
    http://www.flightradar24.com/RYR943

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This is the most severe storm for decades. All please take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

I'm near trim in Meath, just been working up by this storm, holy fook it's bad. Very string gusts here and driving rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Lights flicking for the first time this evening, pretty much constant wind since 8.30pm
    Frequent hail showers
    North Ennis Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 froger

Just gone up a notch in Cork City. Sustained winds now really high, this based on the noise and amount the lights are flicking. This is on a par with xmas eve 97 storm for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Kinsale Energy 60 knots sustained. 4 knots below hurricane force.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Im in south kilkenny at the moment. Windy but not as severe as earlier in the evening.
    Thanks, very bad here Limerick at mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

02.00 reports in and once again highest gusts inland 50/65mp/h
    Highest gust recorded 67knots Sherkin Island

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

Grand again here... normal wind and rain but nothing too frightenin in the last hour... run of the mill stuff
    north co. Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

This is the most severe storm for decades. All please take care.

Really? I have to disagree looking at met.ie lastest reports
    I know its set to get worse but remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Yep one for the record books I think change of direction seems to be ok for my house in claregalway spent the whole day securing house thanks to mt and maq and weather check bed soon get a few hours kip hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Lights just flickered AGAIN in south Limerick City. :( The wind is very audible too, all of the pets are terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Kinsale Energy 60 knots sustained. 4 knots below hurricane force.
    This sensor is up quite high(c30m iirc), much higher than the standard land height of 10m or a buoy

This reference mentions 110m! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

I think the worst is over in Waterford, still very gusty, but the sustained winds between 7pm and 9pm were literally the worst I've experienced. Hope everyone will be ok through this storm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement