Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Sweet mother of God, that was some gust just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

It's bee a decent 'un for sure, but to get my gold star ranking, there has to be a power cut here. That hasn't happened here in a wind storm since December 97' and before that December 93'. Time yet though.

Probably upgraded their pylons etc... since then, this is one serious storm, if this hit at full moon/high tide, we would be looking at serious flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭fran38

In east Clare. I've never experienced a storm this severe. This is what id imagine the 'three days of darkness' to be. The poor oul' dog hasn't a clue what's goin on...

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

This is quite scary and very violent storm and been at night makes it worse. The roof is creaking lots here, no a nice sound at all to hear.
    Location west of trim, co meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

9.3m waves off the south coast at Kinsale gas platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

They are turning parked planes in Dublin Airport to point "into the wind", so as not to be blown around; according to Dublin Airport Ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Mech1 wrote: »
    reposting

Wow. Never knew these were online! Internet is amazing.

Cork City sounds like an airport combined with a railway right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Weathering wrote: »
    02.00 reports in and once again highest gusts inland 50/65mp/h
    Highest gust recorded 67knots Sherkin Island

The highest gusts @ Dublin airport reached 60 knots earlier, it's a gale now with some gusts but not severe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

It could be the jars on me but I'm
    Sure I can see 2 aul lads chatting in the left corner of this pic on the rte story about the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Really? I have to disagree looking at met.ie lastest reports
    I know its set to get worse but remains to be seen

Dublin Air took a 120 km/hr during the 1998 storm, i think we could exceed that tonight, tomororw morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Paruparo

If you check this animation, it shows current conditions.

Click in the eye of the storm, you'll get a slow wind speed compared to clicking on the outer edges of the storm.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=353.04,45.02,653

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

cork taking a quare battering right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

cork taking a quare battering right now

Tell me about it, think I might sleep downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Wind subsides for a while and then builds up into a long howling crescendo.

Not the short gusts I'm used to.

Lights flickering occasionally here in Naas - local cables are underground, so guessing the flickering is down to the higher voltage lines being blown about, or the impact of smaller areas being knocked on/off the grid.

If this was hitting the country 25 years ago, think the impact would have been far more severe on phone/power infrastructure than it has been (thus far) - with that said, there are still thousands without power.

Stay safe folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

2 knots over the limit for the ryanair plane.
    Wonder if it will calm for him.

The GFS chart at 18z is the most sever i have EVER seen for Ireland.

Everybody take shelter. Do not go outside unless 100% necessary.

gfs-0-12.png?18?18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

It could be the jars on me but I'm
    Sure I can see 2 aul lads chatting in the left corner of this pic on the rte story about the storm
    It is the diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭fran38

I do not understand some of the posters revelling in this. There are homeless people out in that, isolated elderly and people who can ill afford structural repairs. please think about that before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Sep1961_hurricane-Debbie.pdf. Hurricane Debbie 1961 ,records set that day unlikely to be broken soon. 81 knots at Birr. 93 knots gust Shannon. That's incredible. Most wind records set that day still stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

fran38 wrote: »
    I do not understand some of the posters revelling in this. There are homeless people out in that, isolated elderly and people who can ill afford structural repairs. please think about that before you post.
    There is no one revelling in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

fran38 wrote: »

I understand why people get excited about severe weather - especially if they feel they're well prepared, I don't think they mean anything bad by it - it's the event itself that's of interest, not the consequences.

But it's sobering to think there are homeless people out on the streets tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Dublin Air took a 120 km/hr during the 1998 storm, i think we could exceed that tonight, tomororw morning.

Yeah fair enough but that's looking at it from a localized view in regards to worst storm for decades
    May well be for certain areas

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Just heard tiles smashing outside from my room I presume and other debris scraping the ground :( it's definitely getting worse in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Winds are at their strongest here so far. This is a good storm, but it's not quite up there with the two most severe storms I've experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Craigels wrote: »

Seems to have changed his mind.
    I hope he has plenty of fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

No revelling, just sheer awe at the power of Mother Nature

Yeah fair enough but that's looking at it from a localized view in regards to worst storm for decades
    May well be for certain areas
    This storm looks as if it will be the most severe storm since 1998.

Please those who have not already lost electricity. Do not drive, do not go outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sign ripped right off a shop just down the road from me. Tree across the road looks close to being uprooted with strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Tae laidir wrote: »
    Seems to have changed his mind.
    I hope he has plenty of fuel

Yep, moving in for another descent. I've a feeling it's a lost cause though.

• Advertisement

946.0 hPa @ 2am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement