Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

fran38 wrote: »
    I do not understand some of the posters revelling in this. There are homeless people out in that, isolated elderly and people who can ill afford structural repairs. please think about that before you post.

Is not that the equivalent of saying you can't enjoy an iPhone because some poor sods in China are living in misery making them?

Sorry for off topic mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

just cleared to land

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Seems the plane is. Going to try land good luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

pandaboy wrote: »
    Yep, moving in for another descent. I've a feeling it's a lost cause though.

s/he's going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Sep1961_hurricane-Debbie.pdf. Hurricane Debbie 1961 ,records set that day unlikely to be broken soon. 81 knots at Birr. 93 knots gust Shannon. That's incredible. Most wind records set that day still stand.

Cork and Shannon airports had violent storm force winds in 1997. Kilkenny had sustained winds 1kt below storm force. This is the windiest since 97 here, but not at all as strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Woke at 2 after 3 hours kip. Probably not going to sleep for the night. Worst i remember since hurricane in the 80s.
    Dreading to hear of any loss of life in the morning.
    Galway Clare border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

Cork airport:
    02h00: 36kts gusting to 53kts @240
    02h30: 36kts gusting to 51kts @240

So it's calming down .... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

EINN gusting 115km/h, stay safe people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The worst things is that right now we are in a CALM, from 5-midday we will be pounded in 70mph gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

riaganach wrote: »
    Cork airport:
    02h00: 36kts gusting to 53kts @240
    02h30: 36kts gusting to 51kts @240

So it's calming down .... :-/
    Living just down from airport and can feel it calming for sure.

• Advertisement

Kinsale sustained violent storm force 11,

Kinsale Energy
    62023 27 Dec
    2:00 972.4 245 60 gust 75

I do not understand some of the posters revelling in this. There are homeless people out in that, isolated elderly and people who can ill afford structural repairs. please think about that before you post.

Oh stop being a killjoy people also take keen interest in hurricanes and tsunami's, it doesn't mean there is people here hoping people die or get their property damaged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

otherfrog wrote: »

Lights flickering occasionally here in Naas - local cables are underground, so guessing the flickering is down to the higher voltage lines being blown about, or the impact of smaller areas being knocked on/off the grid.

Aye, all that flickering is likely occurring as a result of the recloser circuit breakers operating on the distribution network. They kick into action when interference is detected (i.e. a branch rubbing off a line or lines themselves rubbing off each other) with the view to clearing temporary faults.

This all usually occurs in a split second, although if a fault has not been cleared by the end of the sequence then the power could go out for a minute or so and the process will start over again. If the fault still has not been cleared after running through the sequence again then the recloser will shut off the power completely until it is manually restarted to ensure the fault has been cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just saw very bizarre lightning and 2 foreign exotic types f*ckarsing around in the muck and puddles with sticks. "Holy ground!" they kept shouting? St Stephen's Day??? Maybe its a Mountmellick thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

What does that mean weather check?

FR943 down safely

otherfrog wrote: »
    FR943 down safely
    Thank God for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ah yes, along comes a person pretending they're upset over perceived insensitivity so they can exercise some faux sense of self-righteous indignation.

It's not so much that the self-righteous care about what it is they're getting self-righteous about as much as they care about appearing morally superior and smugly virtuous.

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Oh no, getting closer, my power isnt gone yet, thank god, anyone in tramore without power?

CVqr42G.png

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Just saw very bizarre lightning and 2 foreign exotic types f*ckarsing around in the muck and puddles with sticks. "Holy ground!" they kept shouting? St Stephen's Day??? Maybe its a Mountmellick thing....

Were you in the pub yourself tonight?

• Advertisement

This is severe and no messing. Anybody still on the booze, head home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Getting worse in Limerick.

The auld ears are popping and the inside doors are beginning to rattle. Hope everyone is keeping safe tonight. Don't go outside unless you really need too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

microsim wrote: »
    Were you in the pub yourself tonight?

No, its enough to grab a bottle of whiskey and sit by the window in Mountmellick. Meleés from a distance :D. So, close Sir, but no cigar....

On topic, frighteningly rough earlier as the front came in. Between 7 and 9. Calm enough then until 1230am but really back into it now. Worst ever? No. Not yet. But the wind did rip the cover off my ESB meter outside! Channelled between concrete perimeter walls and the house. Still, mighty strong gusts to do that. Never happened last March and that was a rough month too.

To all those who have empathy for victims of storms / natures, yet admire the thing itself: - "Its better to burn out than to fade away" ;)

This is severe and no messing. Anybody still on the booze, head home.
    +1 and Tonight wont get much worse than current conditions but everyone should not be making any unnecessary journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anybody still on the booze, head home.

Or alternatively stay put if beer is still being served?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Those gusts are lethal. I am afraid to go asleep. Looking at met.ie, dublin is not supposed to be the worst. So if its this scary in dublin i would hate to be in areas where its supposed to be bad.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

Looks like a ship in Dublin Bay is having a tough time holding still, the "Pretty Ivy" is due to dock in Dublin port - presumably whenever this storm passes

Hope the crew are holding up ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thanks for listening guys we had a high of 348 listeners on my ATC feed alone tonight:D

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

its terrifying down here. worst i can remember in a long time, still have power though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

You can now see the eye set to pass over the west shortly on sat24.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement