Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

robclay26 wrote: »
    Looking at a weather app for aviation, it has webcameras in it and inchidoney island and spa resort camera looking out to sea has idiots cars parked looking over the coast. Taken 20 minutes ago!
    Are they thick or what?
    See my attached pic
    It's actually up high enough so the sea won't get them, but they will have to scrape the salt of their cars by morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think if everyone runs outs side with a vacuum we can catch this storm, take it down that way !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Harps wrote: »
    Not been online for a few hours but was expecting much higher wind reports from the SW, highest gust on met.ie at the moment is only 67kts and only a handful of coastal stations are even recording gale force winds. I know the south isn't as used to strong winds but reports on here seem wildly exaggerated going by official recordings

Where I'm living in cork it's far from a gale I'm experiencing, I've just gone downstairs to sleep cos the noise from the wind hitting the roof is so loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Pfft. Overrated as usual. Was bad at times definitely, but the way people were banging on you'd swear a hurricane was hitting us

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

bladebrew wrote: »
    It's actually up high enough so the sea won't get them, but they will have to scrape the salt of their cars by morning:)

Oh ok, didn't know that.. Even still not good to be out. Pity is dark, the seas must be scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is now the stormiest it has been all day in Castlebar, well worth staying up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not over rated. It's pretty bad out there.
    And tomorrow will tell it's own story

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

robclay26 wrote: »
    Looking at a weather app for aviation, it has webcameras in it and inchidoney island and spa resort camera looking out to sea has idiots cars parked looking over the coast. Taken 20 minutes ago!
    Are they thick or what?
    See my attached pic

IIRC that car park is elevated somewhat above the beach so no risk of flooding or debris, just a bit of spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Pfft. Overrated as usual. Was bad at times definitely, but the way people were banging on you'd swear a hurricane was hitting us

Not really, the winds are forecast up to 63 here in Dublin (over the next couple of hours), according to Met.ie anything over 64 is hurricane speed so..

Edit: anything over 64*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Who are these muppets saying it was not that bad? A chunk of my tiles are in another field go figure!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Not been online for a few hours but was expecting much higher wind reports from the SW, highest gust on met.ie at the moment is only 67kts and only a handful of coastal stations are even recording gale force winds. I know the south isn't as used to strong winds but reports on here seem wildly exaggerated going by official recordings

Completely agree. 50/65mp/h inland so far

Just found some tiles in my field! Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Power gone !! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Still very windy here in West Kerry, went outside for a few minutes, amazing. Been a long time since I've been out in something like this, house is rattling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'll be honest I'm terrified. If I live through this I will be relieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Wind has calmed a bit here between New Ross and Waterford, certainly not as bad as earlier this evening.
    We'll see come 5am...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I'm off to bed I think that's it hopefully wife is still awake also think it will be a long sleep tomorrow stay safe all very upsetting night here have house to fix in afternoon...

Shannon airport has gusts of 65 knots and Sherkin Island 67 knots!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Zyzz wrote: »
    Shannon airport has gusts of 65 knots and Sherkin Island 67 knots!

It's still very bad here in limerick strong gusts and rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

47 kts and gusts of 65 kts now at Shannon Airport, the mid-west getting the worst of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Platform gusting to 80 knots now ... Shannon 65 kts, Athenry 63 kts ... these are extreme values, some places have dropped a bit, cuold be that late overnight the lower layers get to be more stable and so the gusts have dropped a few knots, but will come back up when mixing increases at dawn. The eye effect is quite apparent north of about central Mayo.

I don't think most places have hit their max yet. Some may have. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Understand where you are coming from HARPS on this, though here in Galway at least mean speeds rather than gusts were quite high for a short while. I suppose with the South and southeast having a higher density of urban areas (Cork & Waterford for example) and a larger population no doubt any damage to infrastructure would have a higher impact that it would in the W & NW.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

BOOM! :eek: That was savage, might be picked up on the Casement/Dublin airport gusts!

EDIT: really gusty and lights flickering here now... lights very rarely flicker here with our fancy underground cables and whatnot. Must be disturbances from the less fancy areas on the same grid causing us grief :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Samash

I completely agree, i like a good storm but this is terrifying. It doesn't help that i am in close proximity to forestry on 3 sides of my house. Someone described it perfectly earlier- its like being out at sea :/
    Glued to this thread though and thanks to maq, weather check and mt for invaluable updates the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Pressure still dropping at Dublin Airport, it was at around 976 this evening (around 8 or 9pm) and the latest reports have it at 961 hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wrong forum. Got to be a Liverpool fan forum here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I think its picking up here in west cork. Some unreal gusts. Just after bringing in my sat dish. Fit for the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Storm is finally in full swing in Mayo, lightning and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hope everyone is ok; keep calm but vigilant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement