Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Samash wrote: »
    I completely agree, i like a good storm but this is terrifying. It doesn't help that i am in close proximity to forestry on 3 sides of my house. Someone described it perfectly earlier- its like being out at sea :/
    Glued to this thread though and thanks to maq, weather check and mt for invaluable updates the last couple of days.

I was actually in a bad storm in a boat a few years back. The swell was so bad we couldn't see any land and the boat didn't make it over one of the waves at one stage and almost capsized. So scary.
    How the hell do planes fly in this weather!?
    I've had some scary landings without wind but I can't imagine flying in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

The number of black outs seems to have dramatically increased in the last hour or two in the Midlands and South. https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

A busy day ahead for the ESB boys

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Bad wind in Roscommon. Have to say it feels like any ordinary winter storm, though its been going on a long time. The pressure readings on met.ie are low. Its like hard to say at this point but when people have to move like going home from work its going to be very dangerous. Maybe consider riding out where you are if you can cause trees are falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Gusts are picking up getting stronger here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Right I'm off to bed. You lot are making me paranoid and its howling through the trees here right now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

In Leixlip and this is by far the worst I've ever heard. Can imagine the hammering the West coast is currently taking. Worried about my grandmother down west. I'd say we'll be waking up to many tales of destruction tomorrow but hopefully I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Fire Brigade from two local stations have been busy all night. Multiple trees down and multiple cases of Eircom lines down and broken. No reports of ESB lines down so far.

Windy as ever here in West Limerick and rain has crept in to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Starting to settle down a bit here, the eye I guess, hasn't been bad up here compared to you guys down south, had a max gust of 57.3 mph at 00.30 am.

Will we up here get anything from the arse end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »

EDIT: really gusty and lights flickering here now... lights very rarely flicker here with our fancy underground cables and whatnot. Must be disturbances from the less fancy areas on the same grid causing us grief :P

snob.jpg

New Moon

Zyzz wrote: »
    Just found some tiles in my field! Happy days!

You're not worried about finding one buried in your head?

Madness investigating such things at the moment.

How do you suppose the tiles ended up in the field?

Seriously, the next one could kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Starting to settle down a bit here, the eye I guess, hasn't been bad up here compared to you guys down south, had a max gust of 57.3 mph at 00.30 am.

Will we up here get anything from the arse end of it?
    Ye might.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Rain's back on Cork, it's ferocious. Wind is picking up again. Haven't had any issues with power though. If you're driving from Mitchelstown, East Cork, Mallow then beware crosswinds! Got caught in one a few years back in an old punto, luckily for me it wasn't raining heavily at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    fancy pants gentleman
    Substitute a pack of Amber Leaf and a penny's T-Shirt and that's me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Juat went for a walk on the beach!! Amazing, the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Just seen a trampoline tumbling across the ennis bypass on my way to my parents in Shannon. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Juat went for a walk on the beach!! Amazing, the power.
    I got a lovely 99 with a flake ther too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Beside Ardnacrusha power station here. This is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tactical wrote: »

Previous poster said he'd lost some tiles from his house or cowshed or something into the field next door.....

I think the wind has taken out your joke radar ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Earily calm here in East Mayo right now, just came in and Plenty of stars visible in the sky, the calm before the storm, the eye of the storm me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Eh, I think he was just taking the piss because a poster had said some of his tiles ended up in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Must ... keep....up.....

wind....sapping....brain.....neurotransmissions.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Over 1000 without power here in Killarney according to the ESB website. The fault is apprently only a few miles from my house, maybe a line is down but still have power myself. Heading for sleep. Wind is awful scary. Stay safe everyone, praying no one is harmed.

A unit of the Fire Brigade is experiencing delays in reaching an incident. Road blocked by fsllen trees. They are clearing them in order to proceed.

Very busy night for the guys and gals of our emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=5.72,46.40,653

Ireland is the windiest place on earth at the moment just beating a storm at the tip of the Aleutian Island Chain (Alaska)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Just picked up a neighbour stuck in edenderry.... Dads polytunnel has blown away. Thankfully i decided against a night on the sauce. Will be out early tomorrow with the chainsaw and the jeep and trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Also, Tactical's been up about 96 hours straight keeping yer communications going. Me, I slept at least an hour in there somewhere, had a dream there was weather at my house. Ridiculous what comes into my mind at times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Calibos wrote: »
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=5.72,46.40,653

Ireland is the windiest place on earth at the moment just beating a storm at the tip of the Aleutian Island Chain (Alaska)

Gwan the parish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

1st trans atlantic flight for Dublin approaching west coast now EIN104

On tiles in field....

Oh! I get it. Oops!

Been intermittently grabbing some shut eye. Lots of posts to read and I must have missed that thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is really really windy outside, just in from a walk on the beach, amazing feeling! Everybody stay safe, take risks you want to take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement