Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Wind picking up a bit + rain between New Ross and Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

bajer101 wrote: »
    The eye of the storm is passing over the north of the country, so there will be no real respite for any part of the country until it passes.

I have never heard wind like this, it's pretty scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I've never had a night like it here just outside Dunboyne. The winds are screaming around the house. I can't sleep and I am stunned we still have power. I will be very surprised if there isn't extensive damage throughout the country.
    Please tell me there are no more storms forecast between now and Nye....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yeah sure who cares about the coastal regions. Screw em.

Honestly.

Coastal regions always experience the worst of these storms and 65knots is absolutely nothing exceptional for coastal regions in a storm. For instance coastal regions have already clocked over 70knots twice this month alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Think a bigger chunk has been ripped off the front of the house and is banging against it really loudly, sounds a bit like the gutter! Almost embarrassed at the noise it's making and the fact that the other houses around us seem grand! Oh Feck!! Definitely not sleeping now just heard the big piece this second rip fully off from the wind!! Scared now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Severe gusts now in swords co. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just listening to dublin airport control chatter and watching the real time feed...

come on EIN136.... we got you baby.... we got you... lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Was just coming home from a post pub house party and trying to walk home against the wind was crazy, it really was mad out there, glad I'm in out of it. It really is nuts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah that Boston - Dublin Flight must be holding at 5,500 ft for a break in the winds

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

White star 767 freighter making approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

I thought the worst would be over by now, but wind stronger than before few cracks of lightening and exhausted at this stage, west cork , between bantry and skibereen , any idea when it will ease . Thanks to all for the updates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Betcha the 30-hour co-pilots in training aren't at the controls tonight.

Mods will be after me for mentioning airplanes but I think I have a few outs. ;)

Is EIN136 going way of course to approach the runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yup... Something definitely either hit or came off the house and woke me. That f*cking noise... It is not walking weather either. That rain actually hurts!!! Any night owls here with a knowledge of how much worse this is gonna get?:(

56.3 mph Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Mods will be after me for mentioning airplanes but I think I have a few outs. ;)

Morning MT, roughly how long is left in this storm? I am in Limerick

Zambian wrote: »
    I thought the worst would be over by now, but wind stronger than before few cracks of lightening and exhausted at this stage, west cork , between bantry and skibereen , any idea when it will ease . Thanks to all for the updates

2014. :(

Seriously, for southwest, it will ease rather gradually late morning or mid-day and considerably in the afternoon, we hope.

For Galway and Midlands not much different but on a somewhat slower timetable.

As several have noted, in parts of north, they are yet to face the full fury and may actually only get a half to 3/4 dose as it pulls away, however, I don't want to oversell how tame it might be because winds could come slamming in hard when the eye structure departs for Tiree.

For east coast I suspect it will appear to get worse after sunrise and then ease mid-afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

Oh you can be sure they are "character building stuff" now don't spill my coffee !

Yup... Something definitely either hit or came off the house and woke me. That f*cking noise... It is not walking weather either. That rain actually hurts!!! Any night owls here with a knowledge of how much worse this is gonna get?:(

Locations please everyone ... but yer answer may be in my previous post.

Come on EIN136 :pac: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

MT, which way is the storm actually travelling? Will the eye make land?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Extremely windy in Kildare town with occasional violent gusts

Dangerous now in swords co. Dublin 1 mile from airport, I'm sure there is structural damage to trees so take it easy if driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Locations please everyone ... but yer answer may be in my previous post.

Sorry mate, South Tipp. Will check previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

zenno wrote: »
    56.3 mph Dublin airport.

Christ. Surprised a jet just landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Working in GrangeCastle at the moment. Strong wind and getting stronger. The lights on the road are starting to flicker. Strongest I have seen in the last 15 years or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Quietened here now the last while, cork city time for bed maybe :)

Dangerous now in swords co. Dublin 1 mile from airport, I'm sure there is structural damage to trees so take it easy if driving.
    fr336 wrote: »
    Christ. Surprised a jet just landed.

I dont know much about weather.... or airplanes... but am watching and listing to dublin airport chatter right now. There is a plane coming in right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Wind stopped dead there for about 30 seconds here in Shannon, complete silence outside, was probably the eeriest thing I've heard in ages. Back now with a vengeance, but amazing how long that low rumble has been going on for.

Stay safe party stragglers...

• Advertisement

A stone's throw from you in Boroimhe, hearing the exact same. Working at 6.30, need to do brekky in the airport, don't wanna get out of bed! Taxi for me, not premier inn bussing it this morn!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement