Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Come on 136. Aint gonna go to bed till you land.

He made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Just awake again now, it's very very blustery! You can hear it through the house, can feel a breeze coming in through the closed window! Was a bit reluctant to go downstairs to get the baby's bottle haha! She's fed and asleep again; I'm catching up here again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Faustino wrote: »
    If your black bin is still standing upright and hasn't decided to move to a house further up the street, you most likely haven't had the worst of it :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it isn't where I left it anyway! Can't see from the house so I could be out in a few hours searching!

Anyone know how much more is left? Thread seems to have turned into ATC watch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GoAheadCaller

Listening to the foundations of my house shaking I've no idea how that plane is still in the air. Fingers crossed for a safe landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

zenno wrote: »
    He made it.

Ahh you spoiled it :( lol.

But how did you know? :( (or am i a fool lol)

• Advertisement

Ahh you spoiled it :( lol.

But how did you know?

It's just touch-down now any second, gusting 54 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

zenno wrote: »
    He made it.

another plane just flew by my house approaching dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

not yet

down now safe

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

EIN136 seems to have landed! :D

• Advertisement

136 landed perfectly and safely. Excellent stuff in that wind-shear.

Applause wrote: »

apt username

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

Applause wrote: »

Appropriate username :D

Edit- beat me to it mech :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GoAheadCaller

Mech1 wrote: »
    apt username

Those pilots deserve a medal, not an applause!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just had my biggest Gust of the night in Dublin 2 (Pearse Street) as 136 landed :eek:

286144.jpg

Sounds like a consistent gale out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Wonder if theyll ever know some people on the internet watched them:D

Right, gonna go try going back to sleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Mech1 wrote: »
    apt username
    Appropriate username :D

Well I usually think it's very annoying when people applause after a plane has landed but I agree, it would be very appropriate in this case. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

The pilot sound relieved after they landed, must have been a hairy one.

Right, gonna go try going back to sleep..

Good luck with that ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Winds have picked up again in Dublin CC , or the wind direction has changed somewhat and I am getting more of the brunt of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Seems to be gradually calming down here with the last while (between New Ross & Waterford)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

fr336 wrote: »
    Christ. Surprised a jet just landed.

He lands where He wishes. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Getting much worse in Dublin 13 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Power gone here in north Meath. Off now to get a bus to Dublin for work. App says they are running. Hope it's right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Winds has eased back near Limerick City. Still gusting up to gale force. The storm force wind blew down the big door of my cow shed and let some of the cows out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Got to drive to work now. Got a 50 miles journey. Should be fun. Fairly wild out there. Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Centre appears to have developed three meso-scale swirls within a larger general system centre now located about 50 miles west of Malin Head. I am using the term "eye" rather loosely because, like some tropical storms, this has a fairly large inner circulation zone of slack winds under 30 knots and probably within those meso-scale features some calm eye-lets. Outside the larger eye (which at time of writing covers much of west Ulster) wind picks up in bands so if you happened to be driving due south in flat terrain you might notice worse gusts every 20-30 miles but a general increase to the south Midlands then further fluctuations to the south coast.

Now the central pressure is about 943 mb and strongest winds appear to be near the 960-965 mb band. The centre is likely to lose a bit of intensity after 0900 when it begins to rumble onshore in Scotland. However, daytime instability will mix the boundary layers more effectively, creating higher cloud tops in squall bands and mixing higher gusts down. So despite a very slight weakening in gradient, I think there could be a slight increase in gustiness in some places before the entire system loses enough strength (and moves away) so that it would eventually decrease steadily after mid-day south and late afternoon north.

Will be updating forecasts for a while and perhaps updating here around 0800h. Reading all your obs very carefully, they help us greatly in these storm situations. Don't go anywhere if you don't absolutely need to go (beyond your w.c. of course). God and Boards mods only know what's on the roads in the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Power down in Donnybrook..

Least we have Sky news:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Morning!

Just woke, wind seems to be about the same as when I left ye at about 1:30 am (Galway). Fierce gusty and noisy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement