Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Still 62 mph gusts here. No trend to improve in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Some ride guys. In a house on top of a south facing valley that was a blast. Expect to find a good few trees down.
    was amazed that nothing bad happened even to the dish etc but only missing leccy.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

been up all night in East Clare, thank you all for keeping me company.
    living on the side of a mountain surrounded by forestry I'm dreading the daylight and what I'll find
    Desperate to go out and check on my ponies but I'd be stupid to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Few bleary eyed souls here this morning.

Few bleary eyed souls here this morning.

Every-one just slept through it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Dunno about everywhere else in the country but right now we are experiencing the worst so far outside Athlone. Can feel the whole house rising with the strong gusts. On a high exposed site though which isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Gusts of 63 knots @ Dublin Airport in the latest reports :eek:

Edit: Pressure still dropping there too, down to 960 hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Kids play house now in next doors garden. :)

If anything, it's getting worse here, some very strong gusts indeed. I would not like to see the damage this storm has caused later in daylight.

Alarms going off now after that gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Seeing periodic blue flashes, assume these are lines going down rather than lightning? Power still on here though very surprisingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just about to try getting the train to work, wish me look.
    The most annoying thing about this weather, I left my Suunto watch at home (I've been out in my folks the last few days). I've never really used the barometer on it up to now, but would love to see the readings today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Wind has weakened here near Arklow.
    Pressure rising 965.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Centre appears to have developed three meso-scale swirls within a larger general system centre now located about 50 miles west of Malin Head. I am using the term "eye" rather loosely because, like some tropical storms, this has a fairly large inner circulation zone of slack winds under 30 knots and probably within those meso-scale features some calm eye-lets. Outside the larger eye (which at time of writing covers much of west Ulster) wind picks up in bands so if you happened to be driving due south in flat terrain you might notice worse gusts every 20-30 miles but a general increase to the south Midlands then further fluctuations to the south coast.

Now the central pressure is about 943 mb and strongest winds appear to be near the 960-965 mb band. The centre is likely to lose a bit of intensity after 0900 when it begins to rumble onshore in Scotland. However, daytime instability will mix the boundary layers more effectively, creating higher cloud tops in squall bands and mixing higher gusts down. So despite a very slight weakening in gradient, I think there could be a slight increase in gustiness in some places before the entire system loses enough strength (and moves away) so that it would eventually decrease steadily after mid-day south and late afternoon north.

Will be updating forecasts for a while and perhaps updating here around 0800h. Reading all your obs very carefully, they help us greatly in these storm situations. Don't go anywhere if you don't absolutely need to go (beyond your w.c. of course). God and Boards mods only know what's on the roads in the darkness.

Just to comment on this article we are lucky to get the height of this storm in the middle of the night. If we are in this in the middle of the day there would be more sting jets. In other words gusts could be up to about 90 knts 100mph or 160 km/h. In my experience you more likely to suffer more damage from daytime storms than nighttime ones os similar strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Was ment to start work at 7. Woke up at 6, txt on my phone to start at 9 because of weather... WOOHOO thank you wind! Back to bed time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Decided not to head to work, wouldn't risk it, trees down last night.. Can't even imagine what the damage is now. I'm in limerick co. Didn't sleep at all with the wind. Scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I'm waiting for first light to head to the beach. gusting all night but never exceeded 53kts here in wexford.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Been seriously gusty and loud since I got up with the munchkin at 6, its dropped down a good bit now, was eerily quiet there for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Was there any really exceptional gusts last night? I think we will see a lot of trees down, slates off roofs and the usual bric a brac but nothing extreme thankfully. A widespread storm but not an historically notable one is my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Massive clap of thunder & lightening few minutes ah here at Clara, Co. Offaly. I felt the house shake and then power went. :( glad I have mobile charged up and mobile internet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Watching possible tornadic cell developing west of Lucan and heading for Dublin, watch out if in that area. Observations requested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Was there any really exceptional gusts last night? I think we will see a lot of trees down, slates off roofs and the usual bric a brac but nothing extreme thankfully. A widespread storm but not an historically notable one is my impression.

Highest gusts 71knots mace head & 71/72 Sherkin island if I remember correctly. Nothing exceptional for these locations. We've seen higher gusts this month for example 78 Mace Head.

I think the mean speeds in areas not used to high winds have lead to this over hype. Gusts inland were in the 50/60's

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

In Santry at the mo, winds picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Massive clap of thunder & lightening few minutes ah here at Clara, Co. Offaly. I felt the house shake and then power went. :( glad I have mobile charged up and mobile internet. :)

Turn off your wifi and Bluetooth and shut down any apps running in the background. You'll want your battery to last as long as possible.

It's not as bad as I'd expected in North County Dublin, that said I was walking through Skerries maybe in somewhere more exposed I'd have felt more.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Watching possible tornadic cell developing west of Lucan and heading for Dublin, watch out if in that area. Observations requested.

I know this is a serious scientific thread but: GULP.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Surround sound wind at the moment. AA reporting a tree down in Turvey ave, Donabate, that hasn't happened in a long time. If one goes down on the Hearse road there's no way out of Donabate!! Plane circling direcly overhead which you don't often hear, have to feel for anyone in a plane over Ireland at moment. Might postpone a trip to beach until later

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

I just drove for about 30mins in West Dublin. Many trees down, debris on the roads, branches flying in front of me, some trees have uprooted but are being held up by the telelphone wires! It was scary.

Don't go out there. It's too dangerous. Stay in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Navan is still very windy, we are in a quite sheltered location but the gusts still manage to shake the windows and the noise coming down the chimney is like Santa on Brussels Sprouts. Saw few dry branches on the road in the estate but no serious damage, hope it stays like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Roscommon, picked up a bit. Sustained high winds. Could get rougher in next hour. Very slow moving system. On country roads watch out for falling trees and standing water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

microsim wrote: »
    I just drove for about 30mins in North Kildare/ South Meath area. Many trees down, debris on the roads, branches flying in front of me, some trees have uprooted but are being held up by the telelphone wires! It was scary.

Don't go out there. It's too dangerous. Stay in bed.

I'm en route to Dublin from near Kells on a double decker bus, wobbled a few times in wind. I can see some debris about but nothing too bad on this road. So far Kells has been the only place without power too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Lashing rain again in Swords, gusty but not as bad as it was, keeping an eye out for the binman, dont need the bins all over the road!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement