Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

microsim wrote: »
    I just drove for about 30mins in West Dublin. Many trees down, debris on the roads, branches flying in front of me, some trees have uprooted but are being held up by the telelphone wires! It was scary.

Don't go out there. It's too dangerous. Stay in bed.

Where is bad in lucan as live there. Park outside seems grand.
    Travelling to mullingar later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very quiet in cork city - I slept for about 6 and half hours and wasn't woken by anything. Don't think it ended up being that bad here in the end - the damn shield was doing it's job!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

fairly quiet in roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Wind around 10pm took the dog's kennel clean across the garden. No other damage, I think. (North Kildare)

Tried to stay awake but slept right though the strongest winds which occurred here at 6:20 am. 60 kph. Am raging I missed it as that's nearly twice the highest wind speed reading I've ever had from it.

Currently the temp is dropping and pressure is 963 and rising. I hope everyone is safe and remains safe today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Watching possible tornadic cell developing west of Lucan and heading for Dublin, watch out if in that area. Observations requested.

Frequent strong blasts every few mins in Tallaght. The roof tiles are chattering like teeth in my mouth when I get cold. Been like that for about an hour now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Very strong sustained winds in Castlebar, Mayo since 6am. Alot worse than the storm last week. Some violent gusts also. MT/MAQ and the regulars called this one spot on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FloatingFire

Just walked home. Was pretty unpleasant (Dublin city). On the plus side, I saw two commercial wheely bins trundling down the road together. They looked like they were in love. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Need to drive into Dublin City centre. Dublin doesnt seem to have been hit badly by reports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

vizualpics wrote: »
    Very strong sustained winds in Castlebar, Mayo since 6am. Alot worse than the storm last week. Some violent gusts also. MT/MAQ and the regulars called this one spot on. Thanks.

Yes, it is really going for it again here now, was woken up by it around 6am - it seems it may have been calmer between 1 and 6am, looks like we're in for a few hours of very strong westerly and northwesterly winds now before it finally blows itself out.

Early morning Stansted flight just taking off about now for Knock, I wouldn't want to be flying into that - it may encounter some issues when it gets over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

I was nearly hit by a flying advertisement sign in the car just outside of Airside funny enough could have been worse luckily the road was quiet. People need to take care travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Need to drive into Dublin City centre. Dublin doesnt seem to have been hit badly by reports

No just came from Kells. Clear all the way. All buses running. People just getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Persistently strong gusts over night down here in Cork overnight and alot of debris on the roads I travelled last night around midnight, thankfully no trees down though around my neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

G'morning fellow storm bunnies,

Succumbed to tiredness last night and done the sensible thing.

Just up to no electricity but small generator will give light and gas hob provide hot food and drinks.

Hope all safe and well. Listened to the weather forecast on radio 1 from Met Eireann. No reports of injuries or indeed damage.

Going to do a visual inspection of the outside from inside then venture out if safe to do so I.e. no flying debris but will be wearing a climbing helmet just in case.

Lots of reports of trees and wires down locally. Emergency services are still out dealing with calls. At first light I would expect to see County Council crews out clearing roads.

The utility companies will be at full stretch today and repair works will be somewhat hampered until winds abate this afternoon. I realistically wouldn't expect electricity restored at my location before tomorrow.

Still extremely windy here in West Limerick with severe gusts.

Will update again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Half of next doors fence is down,starting to see more damage now it's getting light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Very quiet in cork city - I slept for about 6 and half hours and wasn't woken by anything. Don't think it ended up being that bad here in the end - the damn shield was doing it's job!

excuse me? are you kidding? those were the most maddening winds i ever heard in my life.

also, electricity went up in gurranabraher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    excuse me? are you kidding? those were the most maddening winds i ever heard in my life.

also, electricity went up in gurranabraher

Well it is quiet now, maybe it wasn't earlier in the night, I still don't think we got the absolute worst of it though, I don't know how i managed to sleep through it if we did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Well it is quiet now, maybe it wasn't earlier in the night, I still don't think we got the absolute worst of it though, I don't know how i managed to sleep through it if we did

not sure either, i was expecting something to crash through my window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The city centre itself from what I saw walking through was pretty much grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seanhelm

Donegal coast currently being battered by very strong westerlies. Me Eireann website showing gusts of 53knts at Finner (near Bundoran). http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    Power outages also https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/index.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Just home, large sensor light ripped off . 3 concrete bed on ridge tiles also ripped off.. Stay safe people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ballfro

Wind is still howling here in wexford, electricity went during night but is back now. Lay in bed thinking the roof was going to blow off. Have to drive to Cavan later, not looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Absolutely horrendous in Castlebar now, everything creaking from windows to the roof, some tiles gone as well, been getting steadily worse since about 06.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Watching possible tornadic cell developing west of Lucan and heading for Dublin, watch out if in that area. Observations requested.

I just got a bus in lucan village and didnt notice anything. Wind isnt to bad. Rain stopped about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

Still very windy here in Athy, it really hasn't subsided all night.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Seemingly our peak was at 02:00 where I have an 88km.h gust and a new record for my station.

As MT explains the system grew two messo systems whihc had the effect of increasing the ferocity of the leading front and all the damage seems to have been done before midnight and the main system then lost a little power.

Indeed, such was the ferocity of the leading front that it was hard to imagine force to come. In actual fact my highest wind reading was not until 02:00 so higher winds did come later but, they just did not have the run length to give then strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

Wind is straight down the runway here in knock so stansted should have no problem landing here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

40,000 home without electricity this am. ESB says worse storm in 16 years.

286147.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Worst wind and rain I've ever seen,didn't sleep a wink,everything was rattling, I'm in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Pearse station closed. Trains going through okay but not stopping there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Wind has been easing here in West Kerry for the past couple of hours. Electricity went but came back again. Rain has gone too and there's even a small bit of blue sky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement