Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Pearse station in dublin is closed to the public falling debris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    excuse me? are you kidding? those were the most maddening winds i ever heard in my life.

also, electricity went up in gurranabraher

Really? I'm over in Blarney road and no big problems here. A neighbours drains collapsed alright but we escaped the worst. Seems to be nice and calm(er) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Still very windy in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Getting a right battering here at the moment indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Still mildly windy. No rain. Power went some time during the night but came back. Internet and Sky not disturbed. No damage to the house or garage or sheds. Alarm went off at around 5am. That was the sum of the effect the storm had on us,thankfully.

Looking out now and I see blue skies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ludeen

Crosshaven, all well down here, seemed like a strong gale more than
    a storm here, although SWest gives us some cover . defo have had
    worse over the years. Hope all are safe everywhere else around the
    country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Wind speed significantly decreased in West Limerick. However with passing showers they rise sharply.

Only damage here is the loss of the lid from the compost heap. Will go looking for that shortly.

Blue skies appearing when showers have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Bad enough here in crossmo!INA north Mayo all night , definitely stronger from 6 am til now, supposed to be driving cross the country later, looking at forecasts it looks like it'd be OK ish from 1 o clock on.. Would that be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Seems to have calmed down a bit in howth! Is that the end of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Just woke up, things have died down a lot but still gusty.

The wind appears to have blown a large iron gate off its hinges and about 50ft across a field here! I dont even know how it managed to pick it up, it must have weighed a ton literally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Red Nissan wrote: »
    ESB says worse storm in 16 years.

I really wonder about this. The storm itself seems to be on par with the storm back in January this year in term of mean and gust speeds broadly speaking. It is only the relative longevity of the current one that seems to make it stand out.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Much calmer here in Limerick City. Worst was about 4.15 - 4.45am.
    Wind noise was really frightening for that 30 mins.
    I heard one of my ridge tiles take leave of it's moorings at 4.30 and it was wedged in the back lawn this morning when I looked out.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I really wonder about this. The storm itself seems to be on par with the storm back in January this year in term of mean and gust speeds broadly speaking. It is only the relative longevity of the current one that seems to make it stand out.

It would be from an ESB perspective, rather than a meteorological perspective, they have had to deal with a record amount of calls, not seen in a few years.

For me my own personal record for wind this year has been made last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Calmer this morning in Waterford, thank god.. Sun poking through and the odd gust..
    Dreadful night, no damage done that i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

In north sligo the storm is a typical winter one. Though a few of the gusts have been very severe. Still have power. It is stronger here now than last night especially in the heavy squally showers. But not an out of the ordinary storm by any means. Damage seems to be very light across the country thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They are defining it probably in terms of their own Bailey wick..damage to their network.
    I've seen worse storms locally here.

The Esb replaced all old poles on my line this summer which is why we had no outage near Arklow,I reckon.
    One of those poles dated back to 1933.
    They've pretty much one of the better cared for networks in the western world (you should see the state of the rickety power lines in the U.S!) That is a credit to the Esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I drove from Wicklow to Dublin this morning at around 8 am. The roads were fine, AA said there are very strong crosswinds on the N11 but I have experienced much worse in the past. A couple of traffic lights out on the way but none on major junctions. No real damage spotted, I was surprised given the night that was in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 50 ✭✭hatchets mcgovern

140 pages for a bit of wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Galway is windy but expected a lot more damage from where we are; yes it was noisy but seemed on par with previous storm, just prolonged. Will report back later once had a look, but bins/loose kids toys on the green that weren't taken in are all still there..

Bin men came round bout 6:30, barely anyone had their bins out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

whitebriar wrote: »
    They are defining it probably in terms of their own Bailey wick..damage to their network.
    I've seen worse storms locally here.

The Esb replaced all old poles on my line this summer which is why we had no outage near Arklow,I reckon.
    One of those poles dated back to 1933.
    They've pretty much one of the better cared for networks in the western world (you should see the state of the rickety power lines in the U.S!) That is a credit to the Esb.

I agree. The ESB are lauded around the world for their skills and often brought in by other counties for their expertise.

BTW, what was your max wind readings from last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

As windy a night as I can remember, but surprised at the lack of damage been reported and on my drive to work everything looks normal, but enjoyed all the banter. Now I'm ready for snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Tweet from irish rail
    Secure your trampolines! One caused the damage to o'head lines nr Blackrock, one was struck by 0710 Waterford-Dub at Kiltorcan #stormireland

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/416474215454613504

Pearse station also closed due to damage of roof. Trains running through it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Drove from Ballina to Castlebar last night. The car felt like it was made of aerofoam!! Could barely see with the torrential rain and debris. Crazy experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

thomasj wrote: »
    Tweet from irish rail

Secure your trampolines! One caused the damage to o'head lines nr Blackrock, one was struck by 0710 Waterford-Dub at Kiltorcan #stormireland.

AA reported a trampoline loose by the airport roundabout this morning! Good job it didn't find it's way onto the runway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Still mental here in North Wicklow (Kilmacanogue) No damage done yet thankfully. Power just came back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There's a trampoline upside down in my garden.
    I don't own a trampoline (until now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I agree. The ESB are lauded around the world for their skills and often brought in by other counties for their expertise.

BTW, what was your max wind readings from last night?
    69mph but many above 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    There's a trampoline upside down in my garden.
    I don't own a trampoline (until now)

Hey kids, Santa made a late delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The trampoline was the one thing I was worried about last night because if it took off or blew over there would be damage to anything around it. Thankfully it's still upright. The goalpost didn't fair so well though. Just glad to get through the night, couldn't sleep until the winds started to decrease this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Was it really a 'record' storm? What weather records did it break?

I am in West Galway and I have power. Now we normally lose power if 5 starlings land on the line but we didn't lose it last night at all. I went for a drive this morning and there seems less debris around than last week (maybe all the weak branches had fallen last week).

To me it seemed to last longer but was the intensity greater than previous storms this year?

So what max wind speeds did we hit last night? What records were broken?
    No spin, I want the truth, I think I deserve it! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement