Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What happened in the end with the guy and the stray dog? Is the stray now permanent resident??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For the southeast here those were the strongest winds since 97. Smashed my fence out back and took down a tree. Highest gusts were during the cold front earlier in the evening.

Still nothing even close to as bad as 97 was though.

Hoping for some thunderstorms to pop up today!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One of my greenhouse windows blew out :(, going to be a pain in the arse putting back in (is poly so not broken but it must have been a heck of a gust to blow it out in the first place) . Too windy to do now, highest winds recorded in last hour and highest winds I've recorded since setting up my weather station over a year ago here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Here is a list of gusts recorded pre midnight 26/12/89 http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&DATE=1388059200&CONT=euro&LAND=IE&KEY=IE&SORT=3&UD=0&INT=06&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&RUBRIK=akt&R=310&CEL=C&SI=mph

Post Midnight 27/12/89 http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&DATE=1388145600&CONT=euro&LAND=IE&KEY=IE&SORT=3&UD=0&INT=06&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&RUBRIK=akt&R=310&CEL=C&SI=mph

Higher gust were achieved last week 18/12/13 http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&DATE=1387368000&CONT=euro&LAND=IE&KEY=IE&SORT=3&UD=0&INT=06&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&RUBRIK=akt&R=310&CEL=C&SI=mph

And the non event storm of xmas eve highest gust came up 2miles per hour shorter than last nights wind http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&DATE=1387886400&CONT=euro&LAND=IE&KEY=IE&SORT=3&UD=0&INT=06&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&RUBRIK=akt&R=310&CEL=C&SI=mph

Last nights wind totals are nothing exceptional 133km/h strongest met gust at a coastal location
    Top 4 inland gusts recorded-Shannon airport 117km/h
    Dublin airport 115km/h
    Cork 109km/h
    Casement 108km/h
    The other inland stations scraped the 100km/h mark or didn't Balyhaise highest record 94km/h

I'm not for saying the storm wasn't bad for those effected by it buts nothing out of the ordinary for a typical Irish storm, perhaps its because it hit areas less used to them it seems worse than it actually was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Because of the work they did in the last ten years thanks to the esb networks My power supply stayed on and was stable even through the height of the storm. We had to put up with violent gusts of up to 120 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The electricity didn't go where I live, thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Galway city fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Was it really a 'record' storm? What weather records did it break?

I am in West Galway and I have power. Now we normally lose power if 5 starlings land on the line but we didn't lose it last night at all. I went for a drive this morning and there seems less debris around than last week (maybe all the weak branches had fallen last week).

To me it seemed to last longer but was the intensity greater than previous storms this year?

So what max wind speeds did we hit last night? What records were broken?
    No spin, I want the truth, I think I deserve it! :)

It's because you are out West, places outside of the West and North just don't get storms to the same degree. Last night was just a regular winter storm event for someone like yourself from Galway but in the South and East it was a once in a 5-10 years storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

The sensationalist reporting was worth tuning into though, culminating with a post about a funnel cloud bearing down on the capital. A few diverted flights, a blown over childs trampoline and a few people having to close the windows as the doors were swinging wildly in their houses. I guess it passed the time while we digested the turkey. Time to get back to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Typical. Worst if the storm over and we lose power. Great, didn't even get a cuppa this morning.Certainly not the worst ever, it was a good gale, and that's about it. Next please!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Blue skies and sunshine here in East Meath after a night of fierce winds. The slates managed to stay on the roof but a large fence and a pair of gates blew down, otherwise just minor debris. Haven't had damage like that for years and I live on an exposed site. Heard ME saying that it is to stay very windy here for the rest of the day, hoping for a respite after lunch .......... what are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Its calm at the moment in south Tipp. Feels like mabye 25-30mph winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

The direction, change of direction, length and strength of the winds are what makes this feel very unusual and a "generation" storm.

It was not that bad in terms of high wind gusts only sustained for so long that has caused destruction. I lost some fence panels in the back garden myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Typical. Worst if the storm over and we lose power. Great, didn't even get a cuppa this morning.Certainly not the worst ever, it was a good gale, and that's about it. Next please!

Maybe not in ur area! Was very bad in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Do you know what I'd really like for Christmas now? No bickering about whether it was a storm or not, whether the weather warnings were too high etc etc

It was an interesting system to watch, the thread was entertaining last night, there was widespread damage to electricity/fences etc but thanks be to god no injuries or structural damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

near Riverstick Co Cork......

No one is getting past this mess for a few hours..... a nearby Phone pole is bending under the weight too..

I think the weather warnings were spot on! If this lot came down on my car we would have been in trouble.

286157.jpg

286158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Measured wind in the high 20km/hr range here in West Limerick.

Have discovered that a 60 meter wind monitoring mast has blown down a few kilometres away.

Electricity restored before 11am. Great job by ESB Networks.

Already looking forward to the next weather event. Wind would be good, snow would be the icing on the cake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

BumperD wrote: »
    The sensationalist reporting was worth tuning into though, culminating with a post about a funnel cloud bearing down on the capital. A few diverted flights, a blown over childs trampoline and a few people having to close the windows as the doors were swinging wildly in their houses. I guess it passed the time while we digested the turkey. Time to get back to reality.

I find everything weather related in Ireland is sensationalized because once it deviates from the norm ever so slightly weather enthusiasts want to make it what they don't usually experience. Even if it is far from it.

I'm in Ireland on vacation for Christmas and last night was just breezy to me with the odd strong gust. But from reading here you'd swear it was the apocalypse. Same when it snows. I've been out in light snow showers with a bit of wind and they are blizzards. Perhaps tornado alley has spoiled me. I'm just used to expecting more when I hear warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Not sure where you are El Horseboxo but in the mid west it was a bit more than breezy with a strong gust. Yes, not tornadic for sure but by Midwest standards it was one of the more significant events in some time, especially as I'm situated near the coast, though I would imagine Donegal residents might have the bar set a bit higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tazio wrote: »
    near Riverstick Co Cork......

No one is getting past this mess for a few hours..... a nearby Phone pole is bending under the weight too..

I think the weather warnings were spot on! If this lot came down on my car we would have been in trouble.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/443385/286157.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/443385/286158.jpg

You call that an obstruction,I call it free firewood:D

Do you know what I'd really like for Christmas now? No bickering about whether it was a storm or not, whether the weather warnings were too high etc etc

It was an interesting system to watch, the thread was entertaining last night, there was widespread damage to electricity/fences etc but thanks be to god no injuries or structural damage.

Youll be waiting a year for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

This is not a level 3 anymore is it ?

Seeing it is still a code red

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

Don't understand why ... Its so much calmer then yesterday even during showers.

Doesnt look that bad wind wise

11563hr-wind.gif?1156

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Youll be waiting a year for it!

Think you meant to quote Zerks firewood post.

(Assume you're talking about drying the logs for a year)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

A ceiling in a house isn't structural, its just aesthetic, you'd put a hole through it with a hammer with a light blow
    This is true, however air movement doesn't regularly put a hole through a ceiling, does it? If you opened your attic door this definitely makes sense, but it just doesn't seem possible that opening windows can affect the pressure between your roof and ceiling otherwise.
    I know opening windows is supposedly a good way to stop them getting blown in, but this is for weaker single glazed windows I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I'm a long time lurker when it rains, gets windy and there is a potential for snow
    I have been watching for the last week and I have to say ye called it exactly like it happened!
    Fair play to ye!

I don't know where those members are that called it a breeze, where I was last night in Ennis it was the scariest night we have ever put down! The worst in my memory
    I think also the posts about aviation, emergency services etc are needed to give people a full view of what is happening around the country.
    AA road watch and Garda traffic stopped tweeting approx 12 am last night so there wasn't anywhere the info was being pulled together except here.
    This forum was the only place last night that anyone could get real time information about dangers locally and nationally
    Thank you so much, I'm not sure entertained is the right word, but I've clued to this forum nearly 24 hours now!

Calibos wrote: »
    Think you meant to quote Zerks firewood post.

(Assume you're talking about drying the logs for a year)

Nah, Musicmental85's christmas wish for an argument-free boards thread. Santas already been and gone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

The Dagda wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

As your roof is blowing off, calmly open the windows and doors...

Someone failed LC physics I see;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I find everything weather related in Ireland is sensationalized because once it deviates from the norm ever so slightly weather enthusiasts want to make it what they don't usually experience. Even if it is far from it.

I'm in Ireland on vacation for Christmas and last night was just breezy to me with the odd strong gust. But from reading here you'd swear it was the apocalypse. Same when it snows. I've been out in light snow showers with a bit of wind and they are blizzards. Perhaps tornado alley has spoiled me. I'm just used to expecting more when I hear warnings.
    'Twas a grand soft night :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also, people take precautions based on the warnings. I know my household and the in laws did a spot check and a tidy up of stuff that could be blown around and do damage. Luckily we had the trees topped during the summer which definitely lead to a better nights sleep than it would've been.

Also I didn't heed the not go out unless really necessary, and braved it for a couple of pints - I'd say it was quieter than a usual Stephens day, so if that was reflective of people heeding the warnings, that could explain it passing with a better outcome than it might.

In the scheme of things this storm might not be historic, but we've had a few calm winters in a row - you soon get used to not getting battered, trees grow a few feet taller etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement