Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Latest fax chart for 6am tomorrow.

PPVE89.gif?31415

Slightly north shift ?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

javagal wrote: »
    Hey guys, was thinking of visiting family in dundrum. I'd be travelling from laois but am a very Nervous driver, is it gonna be bad in My parts!

I would suggest if you are a nervous driver, or any type of driver indeed, that the weather warning severe risk take shelter part of today and tomorrow should be heeded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

KEEP IT ON TOPIC , IF YOU HAVE NOTHING OF VALUE TO ADD DONT POST

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork missing from alert was pbly just a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Leaving cork out of the warning doesnt worry me. I can read the charts myself and know my city. Cork is right on the coast and is first to flood and see damage under this kind of set up.
    Cork airport will report a gust of over 90mph is my call. To put Waterford in and not Cork is just smart ass stuff. Its the second city in Ireland and has largest population outside of the pale! !

Well we do have our own indigenous bread-type here in Waterford,that merits a red in my book !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pad199207 wrote: »
    Slightly north shift ?

I don't think so, no. Thats the 6am chart, so if you were looking at a midnight chart earlier the low would have appeared further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

I don't think so, no. Thats the 6am chart, so if you were looking at a midnight chart earlier the low would have appeared further south.

So how does that chart look for travelling from Cork to Dublin at that time Maq?
    Need to be in the City for a meeting at Midday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Is 6am around the peak or will it be at a fairly constant peak for a significant length of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Not when the warning was hyped. There is a similarity happening between snowbunnitis and stormbunnitis, people wanting it to be bad. I live right on the West coast I can see Mace head from where I am typing this, well used to a bit of wind.

The secondary low, rather than increasing the winds, sucked to life out of the thing, that is why there was not such bad winds in your area, but make no mistake, this is the real deal.

Wez

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Is 6am around the peak or will it be at a fairly constant peak for a significant length of time?

Different times for different places, southwest/west will be stormy for the longest amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork is now included in the red warning.

I don't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Cork seems to be gone again - I definitely saw it about 15 minutes ago though. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have to drive from Dublin to Galway sometime today or tomorrow, need to be there by mid-afternoon tomorrow. Would it be better to go now before the storm really hits, or tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Calina wrote: »
    Cork seems to be gone again - I definitely saw it about 15 minutes ago though. Very strange.

You absolutely, definitely did and it's absolutely definitely gone now {time of post}! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have to drive from Dublin to Galway sometime today or tomorrow, need to be there by mid-afternoon tomorrow. Would it be better to go now before the storm really hits, or tomorrow?

Obviously go Now.

Zzippy wrote: »

Yeah better off today as it won't be easing up until around noon at least tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think ME are a bit hungover. There's been a few hiccups today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cork was there I saw it also, gone again very strange carry on by ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I think ME are a bit hungover. There's been a few hiccups today.
    As it stands,I'm a bit worried about this storm because do ya know Arklow is very exposed both to the southeast,south and southwest,the latter being a classic funnel for here and historically the greatest damage/powercuts etc have came in this area from storm tracks like this one,absolutely should all else remain equal,this could be nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Any idea why the forecast winds for the Kerry Coast for tomorrow are only 43kmh? Is that An afternoon wind speed?

Edit: that's from the map on met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Have been following this thread all morning, being in Ennis I think I might have to route out a few candles??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

:eek:Think I had better take my washing in before it flies off to Killarney or wherever :P:)

Large parts of the country (inland) would be under gale to strong gale force sustained winds from the early hours of the morning if the 06Z GFS is correct. Then you've got to add gusts on top of that, which can be about 40% higher than the sustained winds.

Coastal areas would be looking at storm force winds at times.

I think it's shaping up to be the most significant storm for the southern half of the country several years, perhaps since 1997.

But as always the models are never perfect, and a forecast is only a forecast. I'm sure there will be plenty of "Just a breeze here :rolleyes:" posts no matter what happens though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(Sits in Donegal Town. Wishing all a nice 24hours of Donegal weather).

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

What website was tat very good wind information called. i seen it mentioned on another thread but cant find it now.
    it showed a map of the world and you could see wind speeds and storms, a real classy site.
    would love to see it now with the storm coming.
    any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Cork is status red now.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Henwin wrote: »
    What website was tat very good wind information called. i seen it mentioned on another thread but cant find it now.
    it showed a map of the world and you could see wind speeds and storms, a real classy site.
    would love to see it now with the storm coming.
    any ideas?

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-17.49,54.69,3000

Is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Cork now back to status red on met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm just about to drive from Dublin to Cork (M7 & M8).

What's the likely timing of this? The weathers deceptively lovely right now in Dublin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Shouldn't these warnings also warn people who live on high ground and exposed to the winds in southern areas be in a red alert warning.
    For example I live on ground about 800ft above sea level, facing the west and nothing around to break the wind, a storm with south west, west or north west winds can be severe when southern areas are the main focus of a storm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement