Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

whitebriar wrote: »
    As it stands,I'm a bit worried about this storm because do ya know Arklow is very exposed both to the southeast,south and southwest,the latter being a classic funnel for here and historically the greatest damage/powercuts etc have came in this area from storm tracks like this one,absolutely should all else remain equal,this could be nasty

I won't be back until this evening some time. What time do you think we'll get hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm just about to drive from Dublin to Cork (M7 & M8).

What's the likely timing of this? The weathers deceptively lovely right now in Dublin..

from about 10 tonight till 3pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The approaching rain looks very heavy on the uk radar not even moderate on the met eireann radar though.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Flying into Knock tomorrow about 1pm, How likely are we to get in?

Flying out of Gatwick who somehow have never seen rain before so who knows the runway might get flooded again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

will try to keep you updated from here during the evening/night

Question though, what will be the wind-direction when the storm is at its peak for my area ? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork back on red alert!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I thought the risk of 150km/hr winds would extend up to at least Galway:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

just been outside and it is dark and ominous and a wind starting to move the trees.. shivers.... south west Kerry and very exposed.

Winds still very light near Athlone but slowly increasing in strength, nothing note worthy yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RobertKK wrote: »
    Shouldn't these warnings also warn people who live on high ground and exposed to the winds in southern areas be in a red alert warning.
    For example I live on ground about 800ft above sea level, facing the west and nothing around to break the wind, a storm with south west, west or north west winds can be severe when southern areas are the main focus of a storm.

I think you'd be looking at potential storm force winds there at that height, if the models are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

weisses wrote: »
    will try to keep you updated from here during the evening/night

Question though, what will be the wind-direction when the storm is at its peak for my area ? ...

between south west and west south west. once the winds goes to the west in your area, the strongest of gusts should be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I won't be back until this evening some time. What time do you think we'll get hit?

Overnight into tomorrow morning onwards,will you be back by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

The rain has arrived on the reeks, can hardly see them now and looking out the direction of Dingle Bay there is more to come. Looking at the bare Ash tree on the other side of the road it is getting a little tickle from the wind now, all was very calm all morning.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just posted my own warning

With respect Iancar39 I think you are wrong with your colored lines, the red line should be above Mayo as the ME warning included Galway and Mayo but you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm just about to drive from Dublin to Cork (M7 & M8).

What's the likely timing of this? The weathers deceptively lovely right now in Dublin..

You should make most of the way down in good weather. The frontal system is approaching Cork and the first rains from this in two hours. Winds should still be moderate for another two hours before increasing sharply from 18:00hrs UTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

whitebriar wrote: »
    Overnight into tomorrow morning onwards,will you be back by then?

Yes. Should be back early enough. Should be an interesting night.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The view from my house shows the contrast in the weather,look to my left & it's clear blue sky,turn to the right and there's a bank of cloud.
    Told a friend who called about the approaching bad weather & the answer was "huh,I never heard". I've a feeling many are going to get caught out by this tonight as they concentrate more on Christmas partying.

Wowza some serious rain moving in from the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just posted my own warning

With respect Iancar39 I think you are wrong with your colored lines, the red line should be above Mayo as the ME warning included Galway and Mayo but you dont

Yeah , on looking at the hirlam id say it would of been best to attach the red to the bottom of the amber.
    NOTED THanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Wind is picking up here .. Rain isn't to heavy yet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

M6 buoy dropped a full 7hPa in one hour from 12 to 1pm to 969.1hPa

Quite impressive!!

kerrywez wrote: »
    The rain has arrived on the reeks, can hardly see them now and looking out the direction of Dingle Bay there is more to come. Looking at the bare Ash tree on the other side of the road it is getting a little tickle from the wind now, all was very calm all morning.

Regards Wez

rain here now too; near Moll's gap .. trees stirring too... heavy sky here and the mountains are vanishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tony Gilbert on UKWW believes a sting jet occlusion will form with this storm and cross Ireland in the early morning. This is worrying and hopefully he's wrong about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like a ship got a recording near the centre of the low, measured a pressure of 954hPa, storm already a monster!

sudden rush of wind howling and rain drumming on the roof so I guess it is all starting.. my satellite dish does not like rain so may well vanish soon...

Tony Gilbert on UKWW believes a sting jet occlusion will form with this storm and cross Ireland in the early morning. This is worrying and hopefully he's wrong about this.

explain please thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What are the consequences of a sting jet occlusion Maq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

For anyone like me who didn't know what a sting jet was!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/2/p/Sting_Jet_Flyer.PDF

• Advertisement

For anyone like me who didn't know what a sting jet was!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/2/p/Sting_Jet_Flyer.PDF

Yikes!! Hopefully this doesn't happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement