Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/8 stereo from PC to studio monitor?

• 25-12-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I got a pair of small studio monitors for Christmas, and I'd like to use them for my PC. I can't find the right adapters or cables to connect them, can anybody advise?

On the PC side I have a stereo 1/8" output jack.

Each monitor has a 1/4" jack input. The speaker manual says the input accepts a male two conductor 1/4" TS or three-conductor 1/4"T RS connector. It also says "inputed for either balanced or unbalanced signals".

I tried connecting with the only cables/plugs that I have around that actually fit - 1/8" stereo jack on the PC side and 1/4" stereo plug into one of the monitors. It doesn't sound right - obviously I won't get stereo, but the mix sounds weird. Left/right channel test tones both play back through the speaker, but when I play actual music it sounds very strange. I.e., some vocals which are prominent normally are muffled and barely audible.

The monitors also have XLR inputs for balanced or unbalanced signals, so I could use those too if that's easier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Both of those links look right for what you need. For the output from a PC onboard sound card the unbalanced is probably your only option so no point spending any more on it.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Thanks Zener, I got the cable and it works. The speakers sound great, vastly better than my old logitech junk.

The only problem is that I can hear faint high-pitched screeching/electronic sounds through the tweeters. It's only noticeable when there's no sound playing - it's covered up completely when I play any music.

I don't think it's a problem with the speakers, as there's no screeching when they're not plugged in to the PC line out (even with the gain turned to max - extremely slight hiss at max gain but that's expected). I've tried the stereo line out and the headphone output jack on the pc and it's the same. I'm using the motherboard audio, which is supposed to be pretty good (Gigabyte Sniper 3)

Any ideas? I'm going to test the speakers tonight with my living room Onkyo receiver (via headphone out), just to be sure it's not a problem with the speakers.

The noise probably changes as you open and close files or move the mouse, it's a "feature" of onboard sound cards unfortunately.
    The higher quality speakers and amplifiers are showing the weaknesses in the audio system that's built in alas.

For clearer audio sans interference you'll need a proper PCIe sound card or something like an M-Audio or Creative Xi-Fi or one of the many other external USB audio devices.

Ken

I was afraid you'd say something like that. Any thoughts on the Behringer UCA202? I saw this detailed analysis and it seems quite impressive for very little money.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.ie/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html

Apparently it's not great at driving headphones but I'd only be using the line level out into my active monitors.

• Advertisement

I've never heard one but I'm sure anything that isn't within the confines of the computer case with all that stray RF and EMI is bound to be an improvement. At 29 quid you could hardly go wrong !! In general I like their equipment, they make some decent Mics and 'phones.

You won't believe how crap the onboard sound is once you've heard a decent sound card or box, bass is less mucky and more defined and deep and the top end will be free of the interference you heard.

Best of luck with the new toys ! ;)

Ken

Strangely I can't hear any such interference through my Grado SR80s (headphones). I guess this is the price we pay for stepping up to fancier gadgets :)

Thanks for your advice!

Advertisement