Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City vs Liverpool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Whatever about not winning, it is very important not to lose a game to your rivals over the Christmas period. Bad result for Liverpool dropping from 1st to 4th. They simply have to beat Chelsea now or I believe they will not top the table again this season.
    Arsenal had a good come-from-behind win after the strategic 0-0 with Chelsea earlier in the week. Chelsea got a familiar 1-0 win to keep the pressure on. Man City are on a major roll, maybe unstoppable. And of course Man United got a plucky win and are starting to catch the leaders. Too late I would say. Everton made a big mistake. They will not get top 4 now.
    Should be a fantastic few months in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Not quiet sure what Liverpool fans are giving out about, no referee is perfect. The offside decision was marginal enough. Fact of the matter is Liverpool had chances to win it and didn't take them and made mistakes at the back to concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The offside decision was marginal enough.

Ara now.:D

The offside decision was marginal enough.

Marginal??

It was definitely off. Linesman was spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Marginal??

It was definitely off. Linesman was spot on

From the linesmans perspective, in real time, without seeing it 50 times in slo mo and paused frames with the offside line drawn in, you can see why he made the decision he did with the pace of Sterling and the pace on the ball.

Obviously he was onside but shít happens, you'll get that decision for you at some other stage in the season so it all balances out.

From the linesmans perspective, in real time, without seeing it 50 times in slo mo and paused frames with the offside line drawn in, you can see why he made the decision he did with the pace of Sterling and the pace on the ball.

Obviously he was onside but shít happens, you'll get that decision for you at some other stage in the season so it all balances out.

The "decisions balances out" theory holds as much weight as a football encyclopedia written by Jamie Redknapp in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just watching on MOTD now. The touch by Suarez for the first goal was delicious.

It was a terrible decision. End of story. Some you can understand. That one wasn't even close. He was a mile onside. A professional can't be getting easy ones like that wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Me hoop! Say you get a decision thats in your favour but you're already 3-0 up. Does that balance it out. It was a shocking call. But at the same time it shouldn't have mattered. We had more than enough chances to get a point. Gutted... :(

but also encouraged that we weren't just brushed aside like so many others.

It was a terrible decision. End of story. Some you can understand. That one wasn't even close. He was a mile onside. A professional can't be getting easy ones like that wrong.

Don't bullshít me. If you are saying you could have watched that one time in the position of the linesman and called that 100% accurately you are obviously lying through your teeth. You made your opinion after watching 10 replays in slow motion and a frame by frame with the offside line drawn in. The official doesn't have that.

He made the call, in hindsight after watching it so many times we can now see it's the wrong one. That's it. Nothing more nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

But they do

A more significant one would have been Drogba a mile offside against United yet he was not flagged and went on and scored a pretty big goal

**** happens.

Don't bullshít me. If you are saying you could have watched that one time in the position of the linesman and called that 100% accurately you are obviously lying through your teeth. You made your opinion after watching 10 replays in slow motion and a frame by frame with the offside line drawn in. The official doesn't have that.

It wasn't a difficult decision. Some ones genuinely are. That one wasn't. Not sure why you seem to think otherwise.

It wasn't a difficult decision. Some ones genuinely are. That one wasn't. Not sure why you seem to think otherwise.

Alright, you keep thinking that.

Alright, you keep thinking that.

Not sure what your point is to be honest? That it was a very difficult decision to make?

Not sure what your point is to be honest? That it was a very difficult decision to make?

I'm not surprised and you're making stuff up now so I'll leave it there.

I'm not surprised and you're making stuff up now so I'll leave it there.

Making what up? I'm genuinely interested to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bring on the video official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Liverpool fans are so deluded it's hilarious.
    There's simply no point in talking common sense lads so I'd suggest to stop wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mike65 wrote: »
    bring on the video official
    No use in that situation. What do you do? Award a goal even though Sterling never put it in the net?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

He made the call, in hindsight after watching it so many times we can now see it's the wrong one. That's it. Nothing more nothing less.

'twas marginal alright - really tough call, sterling and kolarov are so close there that they're like siamese twins

oh and city were by far the better team and totally bossed it and on top of that I am just hearing that pigs have learned how to fly

jWGWICme9IVYd.JPG

donfers wrote: »
    'twas marginal alright - really tough call, sterling and kolarov are so close there that they're like siamese twins

oh and city were by far the better team and totally bossed it and on top of that I am just hearing that pigs have learned how to fly

jWGWICme9IVYd.JPG

It's a pity the linesman isn't on boards and wasn't logged in when he was officiating, that picture could have helped his decision.

No use in that situation. What do you do? Award a goal even though Sterling never put it in the net?

He did put it in though after the whistle I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Decisions don't balance out over 38 game samples. It's one of the most incorrect lowest common denominator 'truisms' bandied about in football. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The still image makes it looks a terrible decision and I thought it at the time but you have to take into account that Kolarov is stepping out and Sterling is rocketing through at that very point in the picture. Not as easy a call to make in real time.

It's a pity the linesman isn't on boards and wasn't logged in when he was officiating, that picture could have helped his decision.

or he could have just used his two eyes and spotted the two metre gap
    between the players when the ball was played

you know like, do his job - if this guy got to premier league level you'd think he has experience running the line for years

marginal my hole!

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Decisions don't balance out over 38 game samples. It's one of the most incorrect lowest common denominator 'truisms' bandied about in football. Hope that helps.

I assume you can back this up being so sure?

I'm not saying it ends up even after the 38th game of every season, but some seasons you'll end up with more against and some more that go your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The still image makes it looks a terrible decision and I thought it at the time but you have to take into account that Kolarov is stepping out and Sterling is rocketing through at that very point in the picture. Not as easy a call to make in real time.

Was pretty easy to make real time on camera nothing hard in that decision he was well onside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Have you ever done it yourself? I'm not having a go, it's a genuine question. Coz I have and I was amazed at how much more difficult it is than it looks. I know they are professionals but it's actually quite difficult to judge.

On the TV, even live, the spectator can see the player playing the ball......the line of defenders....and the running attacker in our vision all at the same time. The linesman can't. He's looking across the line and trying to sneak looks at the player with the ball....therefore he has no way of knowing sometimes when exactly a pass has been played. There has to be some leeway between when the ball was actually played, and when the linesman thinks it was. That's just the limits of human physiology.

It's not something the officials will come out and say, but a certain percentage of it is guesswork. That's just the bottom line.

Sterling was running one way, the defender the opposite. It looks "like a mile onside" but the reality in seconds.....its actually very marginal.

It was the wrong call, but as Rayne says.....it was understandable. In some ways, refereeing is actually easier. I've done both and I know which I had an easier time doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

That was as tough a game as city have had all season. Having said that I always felt that city could have scored again if they really needed to. Liverpool have improved no end under Rodgers(genuine contenders for the first time in years). The posters who are still moaning about the "money" are getting really boring now,of course their team have never signed anybody, every player they ever had has come through the youth system.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

He did put it in though after the whistle I think.
    I get the fact that linesmen make mistakes etc its the lateness of the call that gets me. When things are that late your not making a decision on the line but what happens after. Its the space he had and the slowing down of the city players. If someones offside, flag should go up immediately, why didnt it?

• Advertisement

101001 wrote: »
    I get the fact that linesmen make mistakes etc its the lateness of the call that gets me. When things are that late your not making a decision on the line but what happens after. Its the space he had and the slowing down of the city players. If someones offside, flag should go up immediately, why didnt it?

Silly law but flag can't go up until ball is touched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Thoroughly enjoyed the game today

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I assume you can back this up being so sure?

I'm not saying it ends up even after the 38th game of every season, but some seasons you'll end up with more against and some more that go your way.

need wins? little victories? or do you actually have a point to make.

from what i can tell, here is what you are trying to say
    *we can only say it was definately offside after watching numerous replays.
    this is incorrect as many many many viewers were able to say it wasnt offside without watching any replay.
    *the linesman could have easily got it wrong.
    incorrect. this is a linesman with infinite more times experience being a linesman than any of us here (probably). they are there to make these calls correctly. for him to get such an obvious decision wrong is nothing short of dropping a clanger.

I hope this is clear enough for you. if not, I dunno, go slaughter a kid at tiddlywinks or something to make up your little mental victories

or he could have just used his two eyes and spotted the two metre gap
    between the players when the ball was played

you know like, do his job - if this guy got to premier league level you'd think he has experience running the line for years

marginal my hole!

First off it's not 2 metres, secondly he's a very skilled man if he can keep one eye on the ball and one on the line.

You have to take into account his position, whether he's looking at the ball or the line, the speed of the ball, the speed of the player, other players stepping up

Saying that was an easy decision to make is absolutely idiotic, in hindsight we know it was the wrong decision but I'm not going to listen to that boll*x that it was an "easy decision" and the linesman made a disgraceful decision.

First off it's not 2 metres, secondly he's a very skilled man if he can keep one eye on the ball and one on the line.

You have to take into account his position, whether he's looking at the ball or the line, the speed of the ball, the speed of the player, other players stepping up

Saying that was an easy decision to make is absolutely idiotic, in hindsight we know it was the wrong decision but I'm not going to listen to that boll*x that it was an "easy decision" and the linesman made a disgraceful decision.

You do know you can hear a ball being kicked when pitch side

it was an easy decision

it cost liverpool a goal

sterling was 2 metres onside

it's absolutely idiotic for anyone to argue otherwise although those with agendas would argue black is white

that's the long and short of it

it was an easy decision

it cost liverpool a goal

it's absolutely idiotic for anyone to argue otherwise although those with agendas would argue black is white

I have no agenda and Im sure other people defending the linesman do either. I just think that a lot of people don't realise how difficult this sort of thing is to judge in real time. It was a bad decision. But sterling is very quick and the linesman only has a split second to get it right. No linesman gets it right every time. It happens.

Kirby wrote: »
    Have you ever done it yourself? I'm not having a go, it's a genuine question. Coz I have and I was amazed at how much more difficult it is than it looks. I know they are professionals but it's actually quite difficult to judge.

I have yeah and it's certainly not an easy job but you do expect someone who's profession it is to get it right when someone is a yard onside. This isn't like they are in line and he's just about onside. It's a full yard. You have to get those ones right because others are not so clearcut. Whatever way it's dressed up. It's a terrible decision. Not much else to say about it.

Last thing I expected this evening was people coming on to defend the decision. Granted they all support a certain club which may influence their thinking.

it was an easy decision

it cost liverpool a goal

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sadly yours is wrong on many counts.

Anyway I'm sure City supporters are
    happy with the win and Liverpool happy with the performance. On to the next round of fixtures we go

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

that really is a problem :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Jeez, seems only one team in league has had a bad ref. West Brom v Chelsea penalty anyone? Just one example because it is well late.

Suck it up ffs

Btw, twas the Linesman that was at fault not the referee, poor sod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Silly law but flag can't go up until ball is touched
    i thought that was just the case when it was possible for someone else to touch. Thought there was normally a kind of spirit of a law where by someone is that clear through it gets flagged up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

A lot of posts here could be stored for when Utd next have a big decision go against them. I doubt there will be many of the same posters posting "well its a very tough job..." type posts.

Last thing I expected this evening was people coming on to defend the decision. Granted they all support a certain club which may influence their thinking.

This is what you are missing. Nobody is defending the decision. It was wrong. Nobody would argue otherwise. But I'm defending the linesman because I've seen much, much worse blunders that haven't gotten as much abuse.

Kirby wrote: »
    This is what you are missing. Nobody is defending the decision. It was wrong. Nobody would argue otherwise. But I'm defending the linesman because I've seen much, much worse blunders that haven't gotten as much abuse.

It was a pretty bad one in fairness. As far as offside decisions go. Not as bad as the one in the Schalke v Basel game recently but still pretty bad all the same.

Plus a bad one in a big game always tends to get highlighted more for good or bad.

Last thing I expected this evening was people coming on to defend the decision.

And there we have it folks, the veil has been lifted.

Any more replies will be just further feeding.

Toodaloo until the weekend.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sadly yours is wrong on many counts.

Anyway I'm sure City supporters are
    happy with the win and Liverpool happy with the performance. On to the next round of fixtures we go

I only have the facts and what actually happened to go on

anyway to be honest yes I agree that teams do get bad decisions going against them at times and I don't like harping on about the offside thing, we had plenty of chances to score, at least four really good chances, we missed them - not the referee, we also gifted them their goals because

a) we can't defend corners

b) our keeper made an error

none of that was down to the officials

however where i would strongly disagree with you and one or two others is the idea that the decision was marginal

yes, people can see sterling is fast, kolarov steeped up, hard for assistant to focus on everything, make all the excuses you like but it wasn't marginal i'm afraid, i have seen many marginal offside decisions in years of watching football and that certainly wasn't one of them, in fact it was one of the worst ones i have seen

nevertheless it wasn't the reason liverpool lost, the players must take responsibility for missing chances at key moments and defensive howlers, do those things and it's very difficult to win games especially man city away who have hammered all comers this year (except lfc - not that that's a consolation)

And there we have it folks, the veil has been lifted.

Any more replies will be just further feeding.

Toodaloo until the weekend.

Again what point are you trying to make? I've been wondering all evening. Type it down coherently and I'll reply best I can.

I'm not the one going around telling people their opinion is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mignolet had some howler in fairness didn't he?

Shocking for Negredo goal, anyways, the offside decision, honestly, ye are going well in the league. All ye are making yourselves look is small time by going on about it as if it is the worst decision to have ever happened in football

Its not the worst mistake that has been made this season. Get on with it.

Im sure opposition fans constantly wonder why the ref allows Skrtel to attempt to force himself on someone at every corner Liverpool are defending without giving a penalty.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Mignolet had some howler in fairness didn't he?

Shocking for Negredo goal, anyways, the offside decision, honestly, ye are going well in the league. All ye are making yourselves look is small time by going on about it as if it is the worst decision to have ever happened in football

Its not the worst mistake that has been made this season. Get on with it.

Im sure opposition fans constantly wonder why the ref allows Skrtel to attempt to force himself on someone at every corner Liverpool are defending without giving a penalty.

its more the escalation of people expressing that because of others purposely being thick headed about it. ye olde cause and effect scenario. I didnt really mind it at the time, was a bit of an "ah ffs" moment. but like, you can still win a game if something like that happens.
    then i come on here and see people (who want to clock up little victories.. or something..) start antagonizing people over it then of course its going to be brought up more and more.

theres a word for it but i cant say it :)

Advertisement