Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City vs Liverpool

1131415161719»

Comments

Again what point are you trying to make? I've been wondering all evening. Type it down coherently and I'll reply best I can.

I'm not the one going around telling people their opinion is wrong.

He's making no point, just telling people that their opinion is wrong and his is right. There's no point even waiting for a proper reply. Many have already asked.

For me the Sterling decision was a very bad one, but it was a poor game from the officials for both sides tbh. I'm more concerned with Sterling's miss tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    For me the Sterling decision was a very bad one, but it was a poor game from the officials for both sides tbh. I'm more concerned with Sterling's miss tbh.

I wouldn't even be concerned about that, he's 19!

I wouldn't even be concerned about that, he's 19!

Still he should have finished it. Anyway he's getting in the positions and playing well which is the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He's making no point, just telling people that their opinion is wrong and his is right. There's no point even waiting for a proper reply. Many have already asked.

I'll spell it out for you.

The decision the linesman had to make wasn't easy or simple

The linesman isn't a cünt, a cheat and the decision he made wasn't a disgrace

He made the call he thought was right, in hindsight after seeing the replays and the pictures we all know it was wrong. And that's it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And there we have it folks, the veil has been lifted.

Any more replies will be just further feeding.

Toodaloo until the weekend.

And don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Looking at that offside in real time I genuinely thought he was on at the time. A professional ref/linesman in the top leagues has to be getting those calls right. Not really surprised people are coming in saying it was a tough call and that most of them are ManU fans.

The decision didn't lose us the game, though. We had plenty of chances to score and didn't do it so our own fault in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Decisions don't balance out over 38 game samples. It's one of the most incorrect lowest common denominator 'truisms' bandied about in football. Hope that helps.

League tables don't even always balance out they way they theoretically should. Whoever says 'the best team always wins the league' or 'the league table never lies' is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

So Liverpool go 1 up with Sterling, then maybe they don't score the Coutinho goal and just kick City into gear earlier than they did.

I understand people complaining about a decision that leads to the opponents taking advantage, but Liverpool went on and took the lead after that anyway.

Terrible decision don't get me wrong but there was so long left in the game, it wasn't like they were denied an equaliser in the dying embers, or even like they were stopped from making it 2-0. No one knows how the game would have went had that Sterling goal been allowed.

I've genuinely never been someone to blame officials over a result, blame Sterling or Coutinho for missing guilt edge chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hefferboi wrote: »
    Looking at that offside in real time I genuinely thought he was on at the time. A professional ref/linesman in the top leagues has to be getting those calls right. Not really surprised people are coming in saying it was a tough call and that most of them are ManU fans.

The decision didn't lose us the game, though. We had plenty of chances to score and didn't do it so our own fault in that regard.

You would not be able to allow the small possibility that even though you were genuinely sure he was on in real time, first time you saw it, you were watching it through the eyes of a Liverpool fan so its not really surprising you thought he was onside?

Its natural. As you said, it didn't cost you the game, as poor a decision as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

kryogen wrote: »

Im sure opposition fans constantly wonder why the ref allows Skrtel to attempt to force himself on someone at every corner Liverpool are defending without giving a penalty.
    Skrtel is a liability but I'm guessing the reason why the refs aren't penalising him is because in doing so, they are a making a pretty big statement on behalf of all refs in the PL. Give a penalty for shirt pulling then you better be ready to give penalties for all the bull**** that happens in every game when defending corners.

The refs know that they can't guarantee consistency on this matter, thus why none of them have the balls to make a tough and controversial yet ultimately fair call.

• Advertisement

Skrtel always does that. The outcry only started a few weeks ago.

Kompany was all over him grabbing his jersey too tbf.

Saying that there's no need for Skrtel to be at it. It's suicidal especially now the masses have noticed so refs will be watching.

It happens in most games but refs rarely give pens for it

You would not be able to allow the small possibility that even though you were genuinely sure he was on in real time, first time you saw it, you were watching it through the eyes of a Liverpool fan so its not really surprising you thought he was onside?

Its natural. As you said, it didn't cost you the game, as poor a decision as it was.

I think I'm unbiased enough with my views tbh and I call it as I see it. I think if it was United in our position I'd have called the same thing. If a linesman in a junior sunday league match made that call he'd have been crucified there and then. To do it in a Premier League match is shocking.

Human error and all that, though. But I pointed out in the Liverpool thread, I thought the officials were very poor for both sides. Gave silly frees to both and didn't give frees/penalties when it was clear as day. Also a few simple line balls and corners were wrong. As I said, both sides got a raw deal.

Skrtel is a liability but I'm guessing the reason why the refs aren't penalising him is because in doing so, they are a making a pretty big statement on behalf of all refs in the PL. Give a penalty for shirt pulling then you better be ready to give penalties for all the bull**** that happens in every game when defending corners.

The refs know that they can't guarantee consistency on this matter, thus why none of them have the balls to make a tough and controversial yet ultimately fair call.

Penalties for shirt pulling have been given before, and will be given again. The amount he gets away with is hilarious in fairness, its an art form almost.

He is playing the percentages and doing it very well. Hopefully from an opposition fan POV it will end up costing you big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Penalties for shirt pulling have been given before, and will be given again. The amount he gets away with is hilarious in fairness, its an art form almost.

He is playing the percentages and doing it very well. Hopefully from an opposition fan POV it will end up costing you big time.

They have been given but are rare, probably for the reason I gave; every time one is given the refs and FA are probably bombarded to retrospective claims of inconsistency and ref incompetence.

But you're right, he is playing a dangerous game and the more it's highlighted, the more likely it becomes the refs won't be able to turn a blind eye. But, as I also said, if they do penalise him then bring on the new wave of ref consistency on the matter. :)

As someone mentioned before, its only because it was highlighted yesterday that most people are giving about Skrtel. As a Liverpool fan I can safely say he's been at it since he's joined the club. For a centre half he is shocking under set pieces and under high balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Had to laugh at Coutinho literally stealing the ball off Sterling's toe to score then deliberately avoiding celebrating with the out-stretched Sterling and running to Suarez instead :)

quarryman wrote: »
    Had to laugh at Coutinho literally stealing the ball off Sterling's toe to score then deliberately avoiding celebrating with the out-stretched Sterling and running to Suarez instead :)

I was expecting either of them to miss :o

As someone mentioned before, its only because it was highlighted yesterday that most people are giving about Skrtel. As a Liverpool fan I can safely say he's been at it since he's joined the club. For a centre half he is shocking under set pieces and under high balls.

People have been going on about it for a while now with Skittles tbf

The more it gets highlighted the better though, as long as it costs a penalty someday Ill be happy, preferably against us :)

People have been going on about it for a while now with Skittles tbf

The more it gets highlighted the better though, as long as it costs a penalty someday Ill be happy, preferably against us :)

Personally I hope he gets sold in Jan. I'd much rather Agger beside Sakho but I know I'm in the minority. Both are very good with the ball at feet but Agger isn't great in the air. Also, 2 left footed players but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Just get Skittles out of the team.

Personally I hope he gets sold in Jan. I'd much rather Agger beside Sakho but I know I'm in the minority. Both are very good with the ball at feet but Agger isn't great in the air. Also, 2 left footed players but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Just get Skittles out of the team.

What you think made Rodgers seemingly change his mind on him? Looked like he could have been off last season, Agger being made vice captain and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

The officials not getting much gyp info's mornings papers, they must be in on the 'conspiracy' too lol. Madness. God help the poor lino if his twitter or summat gets leaked.

Nearly halfway through season now and it's been fantabulous but the table doesn't lie, City on top on merit, fantastic home record backed up by a sub par display yet still won.... and Aguero is still on the sick!

What you think made Rodgers seemingly change his mind on him? Looked like he could have been off last season, Agger being made vice captain and all

Has a been shaky this season but the back four has been chopping and changing. Sakho is no.1 for me but after that we're not as strong. Agger, then Skrtel and Toure are how I view the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Has a been shaky this season but the back four has been chopping and changing. Sakho is no.1 for me but after that we're not as strong. Agger, then Skrtel and Toure are how I view the back 4.

Agger has been beyond **** for a while now. To put him ahead of Skrtel and toure is ludicrous. Agger this season and last was at fault for so many goals, constantly beaten in the air and failed to track his man. Good for him he is good with his feet but he can't defend for toffee.

Skrtel has been good this season and took his chance when he was clearly out of favour. Going forward I dont think he is good enough though an upgrade is needed. Sakho for me is the best we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Liamalone wrote: »
    The officials not getting much gyp info's mornings papers, they must be in on the 'conspiracy' too lol. Madness. God help the poor lino if his twitter or summat gets leaked.

Nearly halfway through season now and it's been fantabulous but the table doesn't lie, City on top on merit, fantastic home record backed up by a sub par display yet still won.... and Aguero is still on the sick!

Arsenal are top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

donfers wrote: »
    it was an easy decision

it cost liverpool a goal

sterling was 2 metres onside

it's absolutely idiotic for anyone to argue otherwise although those with agendas would argue black is white

that's the long and short of it

Second time I 've seen 2 metres been used ,Do people know that's 6 and a half foot ,,Now if you look at the distance both players are at either side of the line , that's some 6 foot 5 inches...:eek:

Ps he was on side and all that but stop exaggerating just to make a point pleaseeeee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

First off it's not 2 metres, secondly he's a very skilled man if he can keep one eye on the ball and one on the line.

You have to take into account his position, whether he's looking at the ball or the line, the speed of the ball, the speed of the player, other players stepping up

Saying that was an easy decision to make is absolutely idiotic, in hindsight we know it was the wrong decision but I'm not going to listen to that boll*x that it was an "easy decision" and the linesman made a disgraceful decision.

Behave........as far as decisions go it wasn't even close.......it was completely incompetent.......

rob316 wrote: »
    Agger has been beyond **** for a while now. To put him ahead of Skrtel and toure is ludicrous. Agger this season and last was at fault for so many goals, constantly beaten in the air and failed to track his man. Good for him he is good with his feet but he can't defend for toffee.

Skrtel has been good this season and took his chance when he was clearly out of favour. Going forward I dont think he is good enough though an upgrade is needed. Sakho for me is the best we have.

It's hit and miss between the rest of the 3 I think. Comes down to opinion really in the end. My opinion is that I've seen enough of Skrtel and Agger to show me thatSkrtel is an average player going through a good spell and Agger is a good player going through a bad spell. Preferably, I'd like a proper cb in beside him but I think CM is a way bigger priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

niallo24 wrote: »
    Arsenal are top!

The table lies after all then lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

As a City fan I can even admit that it was a terrible decision...and in all honesty in this day, it's a dreadful call and error by any linesman...I knew before the replay that Sterling was onside. It was clear as day. Saying that even if the goal stood, I still think we would have won anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

As a City fan I can even admit that it was a terrible decision...and in all honesty in this day, it's a dreadful call and error by any linesman...I knew before the replay that Sterling was onside. It was clear as day. Saying that even if the goal stood, I still think we would have won anyway.

Ah now behave please ! Liverpool had the better chances to score goals then man city ! Sterling and Coutinho had two horrible misses . So I don't get your city would have won statement . If anything a draw was a fair result .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ah now behave please ! Liverpool had the better chances to score goals then man city ! Sterling and Coutinho had two horrible misses . So I don't get your city would have won statement . If anything a draw was a fair result .
    Yes. Because the match would have played out identically to the way it did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Liverpool had the better chances to score goals then man city ! Sterling and Coutinho had two horrible misses

So did Negredo with attempted lob, Navas hitting crossbar. City were always in control and were going to win 3-2, 4-3, 5-4.

Well, Liverpool still took the lead.......and City still won.......so its a fair guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Well, Liverpool still took the lead.......and City still won.......so its a fair guess

But how is it a fair guess ? Liverpool and City both had some good chances at 2 - 1 . Plus it could have been a complete different game had sterling not been ruled offside . I honestly think it was a fairly even game and to say city would have won anyway doesn't show a true picture of how the game panned out . So I don't get they would have won anyway !

But how is it a fair guess ? Liverpool and City both had some good chances at 2 - 1 . Plus it could have been a complete different game had sterling not been ruled offside . I honestly think it was a fairly even game and to say city would have won anyway doesn't show a true picture of how the game panned out . So I don't get they would have won anyway !

Since Liverpool did take the lead, and City did win it is perfectly reasonable for someone to think that their team would have won either way.

There is more to back that up then the opposite outcome anyway. Both teams had plenty of chances. Nobody said they WOULD have won anyway, people have said they THINK they would have won anyway.

As I said, not an outrageous conclusion to draw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

City were the better team throughout...City were very lax in the second half as well at times because they could afford to...if they were down a goal or level they would have got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Marginal??

It was definitely off. Linesman was spot on

ESPECIALLY AS THE REF WAS A MANC ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I assume you can back this up being so sure?

I'm not saying it ends up even after the 38th game of every season, but some seasons you'll end up with more against and some more that go your way.

http://www.refereedecisions.co.uk/ref-review-20123-the-team-bias-league-table-the-horrible-truth/

Now, the site owner is an Arsenal fan, but the reviewers are referees, so their collective findings should hold some weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

http://www.refereedecisions.co.uk/ref-review-20123-the-team-bias-league-table-the-horrible-truth/

Now, the site owner is an Arsenal fan, but the reviewers are referees, so their collective findings should hold some weight.
    I stopped at "they had 2.5 more things go their way"

Obviously written by a literary genius without a hint of ambiguity :pac:

Arsenal with about 5 times more "things" go against them than 2nd place Liverpool in the injustice league. Loltastic irony in an article about bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Its pretty simple for me.

Offside was blatant wrong call. 'Penalty' shouts were consistent.

Lescott challenge on Suarez was a foul for a free kick not a pen.

Liverpool played well and was a case of the team being greater than the sum of its parts. Man City played well with scope for more

• Advertisement

ESPECIALLY AS THE REF WAS A MANC ;)

Same ref who didn't make the offside call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

City were the better team throughout...City were very lax in the second half as well at times because they could afford to...if they were down a goal or level they would have got it.

That doesn't make sense so though. Why were they suddenly lax this game. Why didn't they push on like they have done against utd spurs and arsenal and finish the game off. It's not the way they play at home. I don't city were the better side at all but they got the result and that's all that matters and that's why I think they will be champions.

Advertisement