Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Wont Boot but power light is on

Options
  • 25-12-2013 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi, I recently purchased a computer from hardwareversand for the parents house. I paid the extra few quid for them to build it for me, but not to install Windows 7 OS.

I bought a copy of Windows 7 from the supplier however had problems installing it (had a thread on here about the issue with trying to install it) and after returning the computer to hardwareversand it turned out there was an issue with the RAM and they fixed it and returned the computer to me.

I set it up for my parents a week ago and all seemed to be working fine, till around 30 minutes ago.
    While I was browsing the internet, the computer started making noises like it was half trying to boot up and then stopping even though the computer was on.

Then the blue screen appeared (I did not see what the message was).

Now the computer won't boot up at all. The power light turns on but nothing happens at all.

I seem to have the magic touch :rolleyes:

Any idea what the issue is? At this rate I am going to see can I return the computer to hardwareversand and get my money back as this becoming a joke.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

Hi, I recently purchased a computer from hardwareversand for the parents house. I paid the extra few quid for them to build it for me, but not to install Windows 7 OS.

I bought a copy of Windows 7 from the supplier however had problems installing it (had a thread on here about the issue with trying to install it) and after returning the computer to hardwareversand it turned out there was an issue with the RAM and they fixed it and returned the computer to me.

I set it up for my parents a week ago and all seemed to be working fine, till around 30 minutes ago.
    While I was browsing the internet, the computer started making noises like it was half trying to boot up and then stopping even though the computer was on.

Then the blue screen appeared (I did not see what the message was).

Now the computer won't boot up at all. The power light turns on but nothing happens at all.

I seem to have the magic touch :rolleyes:

Any idea what the issue is? At this rate I am going to see can I return the computer to hardwareversand and get my money back as this becoming a joke.

Thanks for any advice
    can you boot if from a cd/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Spiritiser wrote: »
    can you boot if from a cd/

Hi,

Unfortunately when I turn the power on on the computer, the light comes on but that is is it, no noise, no fan or anything and I am unable to open the cd/dvd drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Have you tried removing the ram and reseating it? Try using one stick first, reboot, if that doesn't work try another ram slot and so on

Have you tried removing the ram and reseating it? Try using one stick first, reboot, if that doesn't work try another ram slot and so on

Hi I havent tried that yet,however I may just skip
    doing this as I have only recently received it back from them after having to send it back due to faulty RAM. Im quite annoyed with them at this stage and dont want to have to open up the computer again.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

So the issue could be dodgy RAM do u think? Or possibly something with the power supply in the computer.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Any display on the screen? Before reseating the ram, unplug everything. Power cord included. Put back in monitor cable, monitor power, and power cord for the computer.

Try to power it on again. If there's still no display, and no beeping, it might be an issue with the graphics card. Good idea to reseat the ram next, and look for any loose connections. Anything you are comfortable with reseating, do it. Memory, hard drive, graphics card (if not integrated) and try again.

After that, you've done all you can do really, without replacing parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Way better to give it a go first, rather than waiting, its possible that the ram wasn't the problem, could be a dodgy connection with the power switch on the motherboard, again not a major problem just a matter of checking by removing and reseating the wires

MarkR wrote: »
    Any display on the screen? Before reseating the ram, unplug everything. Power cord included. Put back in monitor cable, monitor power, and power cord for the computer.

Try to power it on again. If there's still no display, and no beeping, it might be an issue with the graphics card. Good idea to reseat the ram next, and look for any loose connections. Anything you are comfortable with reseating, do it. Memory, hard drive, graphics card (if not integrated) and try again.

After that, you've done all you can do really, without replacing parts.

No display on screen at all when I turn the computer on, not a peep out of the computer.

I will be back up in there house later so I will have a look at it then.

I don't really want to have to open up the computer again as wouldn't be too comfortable.

Its the fact it is two issues in such a short period, that is annoying me with the supplier.

Another quick question, if I bought Windows 7 off them and installed it and activated it myself and decide to get another computer elsewhere, will I be unable to use that Windows 7 I have installed and activated on the computer? Or is there a way to uninstall it and set it up on another computer?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I would try a different power supply.

If there are 2 strips of RAM try with just the one, if it doesnt work switch them and try again.

Regarding Windows 7 it depends on what version you bought but you would probably be ok, if it wont activate explain it over the phone (assuming the computer its on is sent back)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Dear Sundance,

Check it's user limit. If it is defined for 1 user then you are unable to install at another computer.

Regards:
    Jane

• Advertisement
Advertisement