Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any laptop deals in the sales?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

SRFC wrote: »
    Bought the HP Pavillion in white 8gb ram i5 processor,very happy with it got it for 488 in Pc World with 2 months free insurance off them.

Great deal you got there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Great deal you got there.

Was buying a dishwasher with it but he wouldnt discount a thing so left the dishwasher 210 off the laptop was fair though,really tried pushing the anti virus on mr didnt bother with it as theres 2 months norton free on it and im not using it for anything other than light browsing facebook and studying the racing thats it

I can cancel the insurance of 10e a month after 2 months but I might keep it and once ya pay 10 months its covered for the next 3 years just bring it in an they have to give you a replacement,laptop wont last two years so might keep paying it is it worth it yeah?

Was buying a dishwasher with it but he wouldnt discount a thing so left the dishwasher 210 off the laptop was fair though,really tried pushing the anti virus on mr didnt bother with it as theres 2 months norton free on it and im not using it for anything other than light browsing facebook and studying the racing thats it

I can cancel the insurance of 10e a month after 2 months but I might keep it and once ya pay 10 months its covered for the next 3 years just bring it in an they have to give you a replacement,laptop wont last two years so might keep paying it is it worth it yeah?

Your laptop should certainly last 2 years and way beyond! I,m using my HP pavilion dv6 for the last 3 years,and I mean seriously heavy usage,and its still going as strong as day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-E1570-156-Laptop/316570/1.8

Thought this was a reasonable deal...

Intel® Core™ i3-3217U processor
    Windows 8
    Memory: 8 GB
    Hard drive: 1 TB
    €439

When you see what I'm replacing :o
    IBM T30
    Early generation Pentium 1.2mHz
    512mb ram
    150GB HD
    13 inch screen
    2* USB 1 ports (power burned out in them three weeks ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/s410p/?sb=:00000037:00001D27: what do people think of this? thinking of buying it in a week or so. Ill be using it for college for the next 3 years doing programming. I cant stretch my budget much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bbam wrote: »
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-E1570-156-Laptop/316570/1.8

Thought this was a reasonable deal...

Intel® Core™ i3-3217U processor
    Windows 8
    Memory: 8 GB
    Hard drive: 1 TB
    €439

When you see what I'm replacing :o
    IBM T30
    Early generation Pentium 1.2mHz
    512mb ram
    150GB HD
    13 inch screen
    2* USB 1 ports (power burned out in them three weeks ago)

Spec if ok other than the basic graphics UMA. In 2 or 3 years you might struggle to get drivers for something like that. I'd like to see it first, ACER didn't impress me with the build quality in the past.

Big upgrade for you though :)

fozz10 wrote: »
    http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/s410p/?sb=:00000037:00001D27: what do people think of this? thinking of buying it in a week or so. Ill be using it for college for the next 3 years doing programming. I cant stretch my budget much more.

How much is that? Where are you pricing it. I like the ideapads, good keyboard for coding. I don't think its backlit though. I might be interested in that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

beauf wrote: »
    Spec if ok other than the basic graphics UMA. In 2 or 3 years you might struggle to get drivers for something like that. I'd like to see it first, ACER didn't impress me with the build quality in the past.

Big upgrade for you though :)

In fairness it's not the main laptop I'm replacing, it's an even older one. But it still runs and I use Photoshop 5 on it , with nothing else running.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

fozz10 wrote: »

Yes, do you know how much this is?

I was looking at Asus X550CC-XO071H 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M, Windows 8) , which is similar spec (if Tech Hypermart are to be believed) apart from RAM, but I'd prefer a 14" screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

spanx wrote: »
    Yes, do you know how much this is?

I was looking at Asus X550CC-XO071H 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M, Windows 8) , which is similar spec (if Tech Hypermart are to be believed) apart from RAM, but I'd prefer a 14" screen.
    E569 euro for the lenovo. newer i5 too i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

If I buy a new laptop with Windows 8, can I then downgrade to Windows 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

If I buy a new laptop with Windows 8, can I then downgrade to Windows 7?

just download Start 8

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Or classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/ and takes less than a minute and then hello windows 7.5!

jomoloney wrote: »
    Or classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/ and takes less than a minute and then hello windows 7.5!

Thanks, but I still think I'd prefer to wipe 8, even with the start button. Think I'll just boot up 7 on the new laptop. Tried 8 today and hated it.

Went to view this today, but didn't like the touchpad, felt very sticky.

How would this compare to it?

Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Thanks, but I still think I'd prefer to wipe 8, even with the start button. Think I'll just boot up 7 on the new laptop. Tried 8 today and hated it.

Went to view this today, but didn't like the touchpad, felt very sticky.

How would this compare to it?

Thanks again.

You get used to the new windows,I didnt like the look of it but after a few days its grand,I bought the hp non touch one perfect so far very fast.

• Advertisement

You get used to the new windows,I didnt like the look of it but after a few days its grand,I bought the hp non touch one perfect so far very fast.

It's a lovely laptop and nothing comes close to it for €500, great spec. Maybe I should have gave the touchpad more time. I'd preferred the touchpad in the non-touch latop, but it was €30 dearer and poorer spec.

Am very fussy about the touchpad.

Thanks, but I still think I'd prefer to wipe 8, even with the start button. Think I'll just boot up 7 on the new laptop. Tried 8 today and hated it....

You didn't try Windows 8 you tried metro. Once you turn metro off its works much the same as Windows 7, just a little bit better.

It's a lovely laptop and nothing comes close to it for €500, great spec. Maybe I should have gave the touchpad more time. I'd preferred the touchpad in the non-touch latop, but it was €30 dearer and poorer spec.

Am very fussy about the touchpad.

Same here, the important things are screen, touchpad, keyboard.

The spec can vary but unless you like those three theres no point getting it. The Lenovo keyboards seem good. Hard to compare screens in the shop as its so bright and your not looking at the screen from the normal angle.

You didn't try Windows 8 you tried metro. Once you turn metro off its works much the same as Windows 7, just a little bit better.

Cheers for that, wasn't aware. Will give it a go in the new laptop then.
    Same here, the important things are screen, touchpad, keyboard.

The spec can vary but unless you like those three theres no point getting it. The Lenovo keyboards seem good. Hard to compare screens in the shop as its so bright and your not looking at the screen from the normal angle.

Same here, those things are most important to me. I liked both the Asus and Lenovo touchpads the best.

This doesn't look half bad either.

The lower end Asus seem to have a lot of flex in the keyboard. you have move up the range to avoid it. The Lenovo's all seem to have good keyboards.

Those Samsung ATIV all seem decent, if pricey. No USB 3 if thats important. I don't think I've seen that model before.

Is this it?
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-2-270E5E-Notebook.97896.0.html

• Advertisement

The lower end Asus seem to have a lot of flex in the keyboard. you have move up the range to avoid it. The Lenovo's all seem to have good keyboards.

Those Samsung ATIV all seem decent, if pricey. No USB 3 if thats important. I don't think I've seen that model before.

Is this it?
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-2-270E5E-Notebook.97896.0.html

That's exactly the reason I didn't buy an Asus today - the lower-end models have poor build quality. I could feel the plastics moving on parts of the keyboard and touchpad. It looked nice and the spec was good, as was the price.

Not sure if I need a Core i5. All I use my laptop for is the web and MS Office. All the movies I watch are a desktop to TV via HDMI. Same for music..

I didn't come across that review after doing a bit of research, so cheers, reading it now! Going by the spec, think it's all I'd ever need. Will see what that review says....

Intel naming convention is getting confusing. You'd kind have look at some benchmark testing for the exact CPU's you are looking at and compare them. Even the Mhz isn't always a good guide.

Lower end Asus are nice and light and slim. So might be idea for a light user. If you are using the keyboard and touchpad a lot, then less ideal.

Lower end Asus are nice and light and slim. So might be idea for a light user. If you are using the keyboard and touchpad a lot, then less ideal.

That's the thing, I use it a lot. But only for MS Office and the web mostly, that's why I'm leaning towards the Sammy..

That review was quite extensive and not a whole lot of negatives, so think I'll hit the buy button. Head is fried now from looking..

I ending up buying that one a few weeks ago.

I could barely pick up the wifi on it, even though I was fairly close to the router. My 6 year old laptop had three (sometime four) bars, and this new Samsung only had one. It'd take an age for the page to load.

One part of the spec I didn't take any notice of was the wireless adaptor, as I thought any new laptop would be up to the job.

Anyway, I sent it back to Amazon and got a full refund.

Maybe there's specific wireless adaptor that I should be looking out for now?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Barr wrote: »

It does look a decent deal but doesnt seem to be stock anywere.

toby2111 wrote: »
    It does look a decent deal but doesnt seem to be stock anywere.

great specs for the price, but no usb 3 ports:confused:

Advertisement