Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Re: Asics Kildare Village

Options
  • 26-12-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if Asics in Kildare Village can fit for running shoes? New enough to running. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's more of a discount store than a running shop, so you'd probably want to have a pretty good idea of what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

And being honest I have found when looking for running shoes earlier in the year that there is not that much of a discount when compared to online shops eg amazon, I priced the gt2170 there @95€; but got the newer version gt2000 on amazon for 75 inc delivery to parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I found them not that great on price either.

I did get a nice pair of trail runners very cheaply but have never come across any great bargains on roads shoes or clothing.

I've often gotten better value in the Nike outlet and the Reebok outlet can have some cheap clothes but I hate their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

furryhead wrote: »
    Just wondering if Asics in Kildare Village can fit for running shoes? New enough to running. Thanks

Why don't you ring and ask? Also ask if they do gait analysis, they didn't when I was last there although it didn't make a difference for me as I knew what I wanted to buy. I rang them in advance to ask what sizes they had - it's a fair trek out to Kildare Village!

Was there today, wasn't bowled over by the offers, have picked up trail shoes out there before on the cheap but nothing geat today anyway.

As for the OP, am I missing something? They have lots of shoes and in half sizes so if the fit isn't good they can go up or down. They do some form of gait analysis, I'd say it's as good, bad or indifferent as the next sports shop, even the ones with fantastic looking machinery still have them staffed by people trying to flog the shoes they stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They do some form of gait analysis, I'd say it's as good, bad or indifferent as the next sports shop, even the ones with fantastic looking machinery still have them staffed by people trying to flog the shoes they stock.
    That's not my experience at all. The line of shops I frequent would rather get you an appropriate fit, rather than sell you a pair of shoes (on the basis that a happy customer will ultimately buy shoes, or recommend the shop). I've walked away on a number of occasions with gait analysis done, and no shoes, based on appropriate feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

i was in a sports shop recently. there was a man (at least 70) on the treadmill getting gait analysis!!, he told the shop lady, he did a bit of walking with his dog.. she preceded to recommend a pair of adidas runners for 110E ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

i was in a sports shop recently. there was a man (at least 70) on the treadmill getting gait analysis!!, he told the shop lady, he did a bit of walking with his dog.. she preceded to recommend a pair of adidas runners for 110E ....

He was lucky the dog wasn't put on the treadmill. Know what u mean though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

. They do some form of gait analysis, I'd say it's as good, bad or indifferent as the next sports shop, even the ones with fantastic looking machinery still have them staffed by people trying to flog the shoes they stock.

How can you call a static test and arch test a gait analysis.A good technical running shop gives options of brands and not just one brand.
    The way you say flog doesn't sit well with me,maybe you should pay a visit to a descent store and don't draw a comparison by Elvery sports or Lifestyle sports.
    Giving good advise based on the customers needs is paramount.
    Asics Village serves a purpose of buying last years stock at 30% discount.
    The often have good deals on clothing but colour can be outlandish.

How can you call a static test and arch test a gait analysis.A good technical running shop gives options of brands and not just one brand.
    The way you say flog doesn't sit well with me,maybe you should pay a visit to a descent store and don't draw a comparison by Elvery sports or Lifestyle sports.
    Giving good advise based on the customers needs is paramount.
    Asics Village serves a purpose of buying last years stock at 30% discount.
    The often have good deals on clothing but colour can be outlandish.

I have to concede I'm one of those types who thinks "gait analysis pffffffffffffffft, just get on with it", so a bit cynical of the entire area. And particularly analysis carried out in an area where running shoes are sold. Are many people turned away in decent stores when analysis doesn't reveal a perfect match?

My cynicism not be for everyone, and certainly of course it may give very good runners an edge, though again suspect some of the greatest never even heard of it (and didn't worry about last years shoes either). But when a runner says "new to running, where can I get the best gait analysis" it just reminds me of the guys who buy North Face gear to go for one day hike up Carrauntoohil, a bit of overkill. But appreciate that some like the whole analysis thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I have to concede I'm one of those types who thinks "gait analysis pffffffffffffffft, just get on with it", so a bit cynical of the entire area. And particularly analysis carried out in an area where running shoes are sold. Are many people turned away in decent stores when analysis doesn't reveal a perfect match?

My cynicism not be for everyone, and certainly of course it may give very good runners an edge, though again suspect some of the greatest never even heard of it (and didn't worry about last years shoes either). But when a runner says "new to running, where can I get the best gait analysis" it just reminds me of the guys who buy North Face gear to go for one day hike up Carrauntoohil, a bit of overkill. But appreciate that some like the whole analysis thing.

The true purpose of any video analysis should be to help a person find the shoe appropriate to their foot rather than just leaving it to chance. Running shoes are constructed in many different ways to suit different individuals weight, stride, foot structure / strength etc etc.

Regarding this
    Are many people turned away in decent stores when analysis doesn't reveal a perfect match?
    the answer is quite often 'yes'. A good store should be perfectly happy to order in and stand over their recommendations too.

Cynicism is good, it keeps everyone on their toes but your point about the great and good gaining an advantage? That just comes from training. ;)Getting good advice on selecting the right shoe just helps minimise the risk of injury from picking the wrong shoes for you.

Advertisement