Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop vs. Online price differ

Options
  • 26-12-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hello,
    Im not sure if in correct forum.
    I have a query in relation to the following scenario, my own thinking on it is im late, and should just live with it!

What I purchased was a plumbers gas torch, but this could be applicable to all consumer goods.

It was purchased in a builders merchants and cost €80, recently I have seen the same torch for €35 on an Irish companies website.

In the case like this has a person a right to any form of refund. I plan on phoning them anyway, and just letting them know, might get a refund!:)

What's your opinion on this, at €35, im sure its not being sold for a loss either

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You have no right to a refund. A business can charge what they like. Its your responsibility to decide if a price is fair or market value.

The shop might refund you, but they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

Oryx wrote: »
    You have no right to a refund. A business can charge what they like. Its your responsibility to decide if a price is fair or market value.

The shop might refund you, but they don't have to.

Thanks, I didn't mean a full refund, only the differ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

jobseek wrote: »
    Thanks, I didn't mean a full refund, only the differ,

Are you trolling?

davo10 wrote: »
    Are you trolling?

Not sure what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You aren't entitled to anything I'm afraid. In your particular case it seems that the company who are selling it for €35 online aren't the same crowd that you bought it from in person, which means that in my view there is practically no chance of any kind of refund. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

An online website does not have the same overheads as a bricks and motor shop so prices will vary. This has been discussed to death on this forum. I realise that while it does not justify such a high difference you cannot expect a shop to match an online price.

The onus is on the consumer to shop around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

wow - hold the front page. One store charges a different price to another store.

Has to be the most ridiculous post of 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

On the positive side, fair dues to the OP for asking about the situation, rather than diving feet first and demanding a refund, creating an uncomfortable situation for all.

You can't get a refund from Tesco just because Lidl are selling stuff cheaper. The same goes for building equipment.

sandin wrote: »
    One store charges a different price to another store.

207.gifThat is obvious from my post!!

I did say that I was of the opinion that I wasn't entitled to getting a refund

If we were talking a difference of a couple of euro, you would say, so what, but we are talking more than twice the cost here.
    Isn't €45 as good in my pocket as in someone else's,

As mentioned earlier a business has overheads, that an online company doesn't have, which I agree with.

However the company supplying it at €35 isn't just an online retailer. So if they can supply it for 35 then why cant every other retailer?

sandin, this is a public forum, and everyone is entitled to ask what they want, all replies up to yours are to the point, and answering the question I have asked
    If you are trying to be smart with your post above, and have nothing useful to add, then why waste your time posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

However the company supplying it at €35 isn't just an online retailer. So if they can supply it for 35 then why cant every other retailer?

The only answer is: profit. Why would a company sell something for 35 when people (you) would pay 80 for it?

They offered a price you accepted. You must have accepted that as a fair price for the good or at least an acceptable price or else you wouldn't have bought it.

Just get over it and do more shopping around next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

207.gifThat is obvious from my post!!

I did say that I was of the opinion that I wasn't entitled to getting a refund

If we were talking a difference of a couple of euro, you would say, so what, but we are talking more than twice the cost here.
    Isn't €45 as good in my pocket as in someone else's,

As mentioned earlier a business has overheads, that an online company doesn't have, which I agree with.

sandin, this is a public forum, and everyone is entitled to ask what they want, all replies up to yours are to the point, and answering the question I have asked
    If you are trying to be smart with your post above, and have nothing useful to add, then why waste your time posting?

Look at it this way.

If you needed it right now, otherwise you might lose a potential job worth a few thousand euro.

How much would the 35 euro save you ?

Advertisement