Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think I'm losing my dog

• 26-12-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place or if it should go into personal issues or animal forum so mods, feel free to move if it's not appropriate.
    I have a 7 year old chocolate Labrador that we've had since a pup. He isn't our first dog, we've had a few over the years but none like this one. He was mainly mine til I moved to college 2 and a half years ago. I've always been very close to him and he has helped me through more in life than any human ever has and probably ever will. The problem is, he has never been very healthy. It started when he was about 2 when something happened his hips/legs that left every vet he went to scratching their heads. After a lot of vet bills, he was left undiagnosed but still with a weakness.
    Roll on to the start of this year when the ear scratching started. He was treated for mites and we were told to keep his ears cleaner. A few months later, ulcers appeared on his front paw. We were told it was ingrowing hairs which are common for labs and not to worry. That was until the last month or two when the ear scratching came back so bad, he started tearing his ear and ulcers popped up all over his legs, leaving hairless crusts. Again, another trip to the vet who said it could be allergies or it could be an autoimmune disease so put him on a diet to check for allergies first. This has not worked and we're fearing it's an autoimmune disease. We cannot afford to treat it, giving that my mother is a single parent of four who lost her job and I'm struggling through on only my grant money.
    For the last while, it has been niggling at the back of my mind. My boyfriend lost his dog at the start of the week which has put this at the forefront of my mind. Then, this evening, the dog was in my bed (which has only started since I came home from college for Christmas on Sunday), I noticed specks of blood on my sheets. They definitely weren't from me but I couldn't find where on the dog they were coming from. I just burst out crying and I still am. He's currently fast asleep with his head on me from trying to comfort me earlier. I'm absolutely terrified of losing him but there is no doubt he's not going to last much longer with his health getting worse. I don't know if I could cope, it would be like losing my brother or sister. I'm already crying almost hysterically at the idea of him passing away, I don't know what I would do when he does. I've had myself demented with it recently. I don't know what to do or who to turn to at this stage without people telling me to stop being silly as a) he's still living and b)it's a dog, but I've always been more of an animal person and this dog...well I've never seen a dog try to act so human and I've never seen a dog so loving and big hearted. He's cured several people of their fear of dogs and wiggles his way into the heart of everyone he meets. I don't know what to do without him. I'm terrified and full of dread at the thought of him passing. With him gone, I will have lost my best and nearly only friend.

I'm sorry if that above doesn't make much sense. I had to stop once or twice typing it due to tears. Again, mods, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

you're not being silly. I'd post this on the pet forum, someone might have come across your dogs symptoms before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Ask your vet about Atopica and if he could be put on it.

As far as i'm aware it's not too expensive and is a superior option to steroids.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Hey OP don't feel any embarassment over your upset over your dog. Not for no reason is a dog called man's best friend. I lost my beloved collie in Dec this year. She was our first pet. She was blind in one eye and slightly lame. I wont lie I was devastated, filled buckets with tears for three whole days every time I thought of her. I was slightly lucky. We thought she was a gonner in Oct. So I had a chance to tell her I loved her to bits and and to an extent grieve. She rallied to an extent and we had another reasonable month with her before she began to go down hill.
    Towards the end our dog didn't want to go walkies and I knew then something was seriously amiss. She passed a few days later.
    I remember going into the local Friary and praying she would go peacefully but that she would not be alone. Well my prayers were answered. My brother was with her and she passed quickly and hopefully not in too much pain.

What I will say and this will be hard to hear is you must PUT YOUR DOG'S WELFARE ABOVE YOUR OWN DESIRE TO KEEP HIM ALIVE. I put that capitals not because you may not do it but just to emphasise how important that is. Its only natural we want to hang onto our furry buddies for long as we can.

The love you have for your dog shines through. Put your dog's heath and happiness first and you won't go wrong. Every good wishes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

So sorry to hear what your going through, me and my partner have six dogs, but last year i lost my doberman tyson , and im man enough to say i cried for at least a week. I really hope you can find an answer and im sure the good people here on boards will help with some suggestions.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Hi op

It sounds like your dog is exhibiting symptoms of chronic yeast infection, this can be the result of an auto immune problem or from dietary issues.
    I have a lab with the same problems for the last number of years....it can be difficult to control and flairs up from time to time but when it is kept in check, he is in otherwise fine form for a thirteen year old.
    I would suggest re- posting this in the animal issues forum if you have not already done so,
    best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. It's not so much a diagnoses of symptoms I'm looking for but thanks for the suggestions, they'll may be taken into consideration yet :)
    I will of course always put his welfare above my own wants.
    I think it was panic, when I wrote the above, coming back from college to see self inflicted sores all over him and then have him act closer than usual. We're going to try him on a completely new type of diet as a last resort before taking him back to the vets and hope that works.
    Again thanks for the replies!

Advertisement