Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex tobacco smokers, you're original experiences?

Options
  • 26-12-2013 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Could any former tobacco smokers please assist me with the following queries. (i) Was it hard to make the switch from cigarettes to e-smoking, and why?, (ii) How was the hit off e-cigs in the beginning, was it similiar to cigarettes or was it less/ more of an effect?, (iii) did your breathing, sense of smell/ taste etc. improve?, (iv) was it hard getting used to the flavour/s and pull of e-cigs, or did you find the pull no different from cigarettes as well as finding a flavour that either tasted like your old regular brand, or even better?, (v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking, and lastly (vi) was/ is e-smoking more or less expensive than a box of rolling tobacco or pre-made a day on a weekly basis, please be honest

Would like to know because I'm thinking of making the switch in the new year but am not quite sure what I'm getting myself into because I've never even smoked an e-cig before. Also, has anybody any data on the life expectancy of e-cigarette smokers, is it anywhere near as bad as the amount of years that tobacco smoking cuts off. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

JK91 wrote: »
    (i) Was it hard to make the switch from cigarettes to e-smoking, and why?
    Easy enough for me, it satisfied the cravings I had and tasted much better.
    (ii) How was the hit off e-cigs in the beginning, was it similiar to cigarettes or was it less/ more of an effect?
    I started on a 2nd gen device (an eGo battery) so that helped - most who complain of ecig failure tried cigalikes because smokers are obsessed with having something the same size as a cigarette. Stupid idea.
    (iii) did your breathing, sense of smell/ taste etc. improve?
    Yes, both. Very quickly too, within weeks and improving over the course of months. Breathing was the main reason I switched.
    (iv) was it hard getting used to the flavour/s and pull of e-cigs, or did you find the pull no different from cigarettes as well as finding a flavour that either tasted like your old regular brand, or even better?
    Definitely had to get used to the draw. It's a long, slow, light draw.
    No flavour will taste like your cig brand but if you need a tobacco houseofliquid.ie's El Toro range can't be matched.
    Fully expect your tastes to broaden however. Most start vaping thinking "Ooh, I hope they have burning Benson flavour, I love the taste of shIt & can't imagine vaping delicious flavours."
    (v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking
    I prefer it. It makes me less light-headed and the hangovers are now pure (ughhhhhhh) as opposed to that cotton-mouth-of-death feeling.
    It's missing depressants/relaxants, so there's a calmness that you may miss for a while, depends if you were a quick or slow smoker (slow = calming, quick = stimulating).
    (vi) was/ is e-smoking more or less expensive than a box of rolling tobacco or pre-made a day on a weekly basis, please be honest
    It's more expensive than rolling tobacco, much less expensive that pre-made. No room for opinions on that unless you buy your pre-mades from a Malaysian hobo in Malaysia.
    Also, has anybody any data on the life expectancy of e-cigarette smokers, is it anywhere near as bad as the amount of years that tobacco smoking cuts off. Thanks.
    They haven't been around long enough but they're considered less toxic than Snus which isn't considered toxic by experts yet is still banned by "public health" zealots/scumbags/whores.
    It's a choice between believing the available science or scumbags at this stage. Some of those scumbags probably think themselves "well-meaning" but as long as their willful idiocy can't be shorn they're bona fide scumbags and I wish the worst upon them for everybody's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

(i) Was it hard to make the switch from cigarettes to e-smoking, and why?,
    Found it easy once I decided to go with the ecig, I has spent the fag money on a starter kit so had no choice for a week at least.

(ii) How was the hit off e-cigs in the beginning, was it similiar to cigarettes or was it less/ more of an effect?,
    As good as far as suplying nic was concerned, not as good as the lift from the first fag but I was so enamoured of the tech aspect that I didn't notice much.

(iii) did your breathing, sense of smell/ taste etc. improve?,
    Within a week smell and taste back, breathing came shortly after that, I could breath through my nose with my mouth shut and not have to gasp for breath, I realized how close to emphysema I had come when the breathing improved, hadn't though I was that bad until it did improve.

(iv) was it hard getting used to the flavour/s and pull of e-cigs, or did you find the pull no different from cigarettes as well as finding a flavour that either tasted like your old regular brand, or even better?,
    Pull is dierent but you figure it out. The body learns how to get nic and how much is enough. first few days I had nic OD a bit but adjusted after that and never felt the need for a fag once over the first week.

(v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking,
    Hmmm, I don't drink as much as I used to, nowadays it a couple of craft beers and vaping suits slow drinking better than fags. Have an Epipe and realy enjoy the flavor of a good tobacco with a Belgian quadrupell.

and lastly (vi) was/ is e-smoking more or less expensive than a box of rolling tobacco or pre-made a day on a weekly basis, please be honest
    First month it's going to cost the same as smoking 100 grams of rollies, far less than 20 ready made a day and after that it's just juice and cartos. Can be as cheap as 12 euro a week or it could become a hobby and run to as much as you want.

You can get a starter kit for 20 euro and 10 mil of juice for a fiver and see how it feels, if you then think it could work for you spend the extra and make the switch. Dont start with the cigalike things though, they are fine for seeing if the concept is valid but are no use for replacing smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Apart from the obvious; breathing, taste etc. my most noticeable difference is the freedom I've gotten from sinus headaches. Mother of Jesus, did I suffer?
    Since switching 13 months ago I had one bout of sinus headaches, during the summer. It was the worst ever. It lasted 6 days.
    When I smoked I suffered for 3 or 4 days about twice a month. I'd gladly exchange my 25 or so periods of really bad headaches for one god-awful one each year. Previously, it was typically so bad that my chemist asked me if I wanted to run a Sinu-TAB? Geddit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I really only ever smoked when I drank so I'll answer this question.

(v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking, and lastly

Honestly I Don't think that vaping will ever be able to completely replace smoking. It will only replace it enough, that it makes it much easier to not 'smoke' while drinking, even though you really really always want a cigarette especially when smoking. I used to smoke like a trooper when I drank but generally the next day I wouldn't want one again, I felt fairly awful from it. So when I first tried a "cigarette like" I was impressed as I got a proper nicotine rush off it (it was high strength and I had no nicotine that day yet) plus it felt like I Was really inhaling and exhaling something.

Wow I thought, this is it... I'm going to get some of these now. Then there was the honey moon period. I could 'vape' in my house having a drink, I never did that before cus I actually ****ing hate the smell of smokes when I'm stone cold sober. Hate it. So there I Was on my prized couch I spent way too much money on that I'd never let anyone in a million years smoke on, vaping away having a white russian and watching t.v. Bliss.

Then new years last year came and I was on a proper 24 hour session. The ecig (I prefer to call them nicotine vapourisers) I was using was doing me okay. Someone started asking me about it, she said she tried it but it didn't really work for her. I offered her to try mine but she said no I'm fine with my cigs thanks. I said okay, well let me try your cig then. She gave me a puff, I inhaled... then exhaled and got the goosebumps, oh it felt good. Especially when I was fairly buzzed already. I looked down at my ecig and thought hmmmm.

After that I didn't vape for at least two weeks (I didn't smoke either) but the honey moon period was over. After that I Went on a binge of buying various devices and juices trying to chase the dragon. I didn't want to smoke but I didn't want to feel unsatisfied with vaping either.

Eventually I settled on four different devices for my different moods.
    1) I have a Kanger eVod starter kit for my light vaping needs (with the more powerful low resistance heads). They are kinda like a small cigar size.
    2) I have a 'mod' with a 'carto tank' on it which is about the same as the first setup except bigger, so it holds more juice and more battery life and gives a slightly slightly better kick.
    3) I have another mod with a kayfun on it which is fairly heavy but damn does it give a good hit.
    4) I have another mod with an Atomic rebuildable dripping atomiser on it which just blows your head off.
    The last two devices I think would hammer you more than a cigarette. However cigarettes have far more chemicals in them so it's not really a fair fight. Nicotine vapourisers only have nicotine and nice flavours in them. However... once you stop smoking long enough to realise how crap they taste and how amazing some e-liquid flavours taste, you'll never want the taste or smell of cigs around you again. Please give up smoking for your sake and your families and go cold turkey or replace it with something a million times less harmful for everyone. Happy new years and peace.

p.s. this year I plan on blowing some massive clouds and not feeling bad that I'm not smoking this session ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That's a very good answer.

• Advertisement

StickyIcky wrote: »
    I prefer to call them nicotine vapourisers
    Excuse me?
    StickyIcky wrote: »
    The last two devices I think would hammer you more than a cigarette. However cigarettes have far more chemicals in them so it's not really a fair fight.
    Somebody needs to figure out how to get benzos and ecigs working together in a vapourful harmony. 10/10, would addict again.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I got some benzos in Thailand (had to look up what benzos were there) but they were selling stuff over the counter so I bought one of everything... for the medicine cupboard.. ahem. Xanax and valium were bought amongst other things. They came in super handy as when I was over there I got the first and only proper fever of my life and took a few of those benzo family pills during the course of it to knock me out. Not sure how you'd vape that stuff though Grindle or how long you'd stay conscious for while doing so. Oh yea the group of us were all on the plane on the way over there (6 of us in total including my gf and I) and my gf is actually proper scared of flying. So we just board and we're on a 10 hour flight or something, so she gives us all I dunno half a pill or a full pill each of Xanax. About half an hour later we've just taken off and I'm feeling pretty tired all of a sudden already, so I look around and all of my mates and my gf are already eyes closed head back. I nodded off myself then and woke up seemingly 10 minutes later at my destination. Xanax + flying = time travel.

Grindle when I said "I prefer the "Unreasonable Amount of Hassle Sticks" name myself" (or UHAS for short) it is purely a vapologist term only and not something the layman could ever hope to understand without first experiencing ecigs for themselves. With this in mind in public I call them nicotine vapourisers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Xanax + flying = time travel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No.
    (ii) How was the hit off e-cigs in the beginning, was it similiar to cigarettes or was it less/ more of an effect?
    Better.
    Yes. Also, ability to vape on gym day versus one smoke on gym day ruining your ability to give it your all in the gym was the most noticeable improvement.
    (iv) was it hard getting used to the flavour/s and pull of e-cigs, or did you find the pull no different from cigarettes as well as finding a flavour that either tasted like your old regular brand, or even better?
    I started with fruits, and in the two times I smoked since (heavy metal gigs where I feared the epipe would break), smoking tasted disgusting.
    (v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking
    Depends what you drink. I drink cider, and thus like the fruit flavours whilst drinking. Beer drinkers will usually have a favourite also. Guinness drinks find getting the right flavour hard, I'm told.
    (vi) was/ is e-smoking more or less expensive than a box of rolling tobacco or pre-made a day on a weekly basis, please be honest
    Depends if you like shiny toys or not. For me, it's about even, but only because I buy new pipe attachments every fer weeks. Before, I'd be 2 or 3 tobacco pouches a week, so now I spend roughly the same on gizmos and juices. For the "pack a day" lads and ladies, esmoking works out a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I had tried about 3 years back but vaping back then wasn't as easy as I found the setup such a hassle. Much easier these days with the tank systems to hold your liquid rather then the cartridges I was using back then. Am a non smoker about 3 months now and now a full time vaper.

(ii) How was the hit off e-cigs in the beginning, was it similiar to cigarettes or was it less/ more of an effect?,

Before I made the switch to vaping I switched to menthol cigarettes for about a month. The switch to menthol eliquids was quite easy to me due to this.

I dont find myself running out of breath as much now altough I cant say I have noticed any big difference with taste/smell.

(iv) was it hard getting used to the flavour/s and pull of e-cigs, or did you find the pull no different from cigarettes as well as finding a flavour that either tasted like your old regular brand, or even better?,

I'm still a novice vapper and to be honest havent found any liquids besides the menthol variety that I have been able to stomach. The tabacco ones make me sick and the fruit ones initially seem ok but find I need to switch away form them after a couple of hours due to the sick feeling also.

(v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking, and lastly

Big bonus is not needing to leave the pub although you may need to check with the bar staff on whether you can use them. I do find that I will vap quite a lot but tbh when smoking in pubs was allowed I smoked lots as well!

As a 20 a day smoker I was probably spending about £150->£180 a month on cigarettes. These days my outlay is about £20->£30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know of shops around Dublin selling e-cigs and the flavours and how much they charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know of shops around Dublin selling e-cigs and the flavours and how much they charge?

Bought all my stuff online even as a complete newbie from esmokeireland after asking for advice here.

My own experience coming from 20 B&H a day has been very positive, haven't touched a cigarette in over a year now and to be honest wouldn't even dream of buying a pack.

It took me a little while to make the complete switch 100%, about a month or two, finding a few juices you like, using the device properly etc takes a little time

I estimate I spend €40ish a month, beats the crap out of €300 a month

The positives for me are €€€, I don't stink, don't have to go outside the house anymore to smoke (never smoked in the house), can vape away in the car too on a freezing day with the windows closed, it's the little things :)

Don't know if I feel any better but was jogging over the xmas which a year ago I wouldn't even have considered due to the fear of coughing & puking uncontrollably,

So I'd say make the switch, what have you got to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

Bought all my stuff online even as a complete newbie from esmokeireland after asking for advice here.

My own experience coming from 20 B&H a day has been very positive, haven't touched a cigarette in over a year now and to be honest wouldn't even dream of buying a pack.

It took me a little while to make the complete switch 100%, about a month or two, finding a few juices you like, using the device properly etc takes a little time

I estimate I spend €40ish a month, beats the crap out of €300 a month

The positives for me are €€€, I don't stink, don't have to go outside the house anymore to smoke (never smoked in the house), can vape away in the car too on a freezing day with the windows closed, it's the little things :)

Don't know if I feel any better but was jogging over the xmas which a year ago I wouldn't even have considered due to the fear of coughing & puking uncontrollably,

So I'd say make the switch, what have you got to lose

At €40 a month, how many times would you smoke ecigs a day?

That's another interesting question for all you ex-tobacco smokers, when you smoke e-cigs, do you ever get a craving for it given that there is nicotine in it, or do you just smoke for the sake of having a smoke?

At €40 a month, how many times would you smoke ecigs a day?

That's another interesting question for all you ex-tobacco smokers, when you smoke e-cigs, do you ever get a craving for it given that there is nicotine in it, or do you just smoke for the sake of having a smoke?

I got this starter kit, it was recommended to me here at the time

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm

The €40 would include my juice for the month & you have to replace the heads from time to time, they are usually about €2 each

I use it much differently to smoking, I don't use it for five minutes & then put it down for an hour, just use it when I feel like it

As regards the cravings, I started off on 24mg nic juice, now use 10 / 12mg so don't have the same kind of cravings as I did when I smoked, a lot of it is probably in the head, don't have to worry so much now about when & where I can get my nic like a 5th floor hotel room for example

The cravings are barely there if at all. I've gone a few days without using it in the past and haven't wanted to stamp on someone's neck, I've just missed the process of pick up->tasty drag->reward!
    When I smoked it wasn't that kind of feeling for me at all, it was more of an urgent need than the current take-it-or-leave-it.
    The stimulation from the nic is definitely a pick-me-up & it's something I'd use when I feel my brain slowing down or whatever, like how I drink coffee except coffee is stronger.

grindle wrote: »
    I've just missed the process of pick up->tasty drag->reward!
    When I smoked it wasn't that kind of feeling for me at all, it was more of an urgent need than the current take-it-or-leave-it.

That sums it up quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

It was very easy for me and in the beginning and i was fairly non commital about it then, quckly became a revelation though. i am now off cigs 6 months and i dont missed them one bit

you dont get the same hit like you do with cigerettes or more precisely that instant 2 second hit from tobacco, it takes a little longer to get into the blood stream but you get used to that, i didnt find it a major issue though

100 percent just like it would have giving up smoking straight

yes i thought it was more pleasurable than cigerettes, and more choice of flavours gives a lot more variety to my habit. for me i didnt really like tobacco flavours but that was just my personal taste. i find it alot of fun trying out different liquids and flavours

(v) what is vaping like with a few drinks, does it have the same feel good factor as a cigarette with a drink? I ask because I cannot literally drink without smoking,

yes this is where vaping is most effective you can sit at the bar vaping away happliy wihout going outside in the wind and rain and at home in the house watching a movie and having a drink. it is so convienient.

not a big difference finanacially for me, i was also a rollie smoker, i spent about 20 quid a week, now i would spend less than that say 7 or 8 euros for liquid a week and maybe add in another fiver to that when i want to get a new clearomizer or essentials like atomizers

hope this helps, go for it, if you dont want to give up your habit like me, do the switch, it is the future of smoking and has completely transformed my health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Yes, but I'd say that's because I started off on the cig-a-likes (ones you can pick up at shopping centre kiosks etc). They're generally flavourless and not much of a hit, but I did manage to joylessly quit using them, something I had failed to do with gum, patches and various other methods.

OK. Less of a hit than cigarettes, but again that's cig-a-likes for you.

Yes. Downside was dry mouth and some bad breath. Need to drink water with e-cigs IMO.

I find with the devices I use now (tank and battery) the pull is much more enjoyable.

Yes, no problems here at all. I have had a few cigarettes while drinking at first but preferred the e-cig so I've had none for almost a year now.

Pretty much the same cost as I used to stock up in Bulgaria. Hadn't bought a pack in Ireland for almost a decade so was paying about €15 a week. That's roughly what I spend now, about €10 a week on juice and maybe €20 a month on equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

NO

Yes, in so far as delivering nic

Took 2 weeks for smell/taste to drastically improve. Play a lot of sports so breathing wasn't too much an issue beforehand

Pull is different alright but I actually prefer it...nice and slow, no burning your throat or any of that lark. Then I can put it down for 2/3 minutes and come back to it. Love that freedom.

Fantastic. Like people have always said the hangover the next day isn't half as bad and the dirty after session smoke in the morning doesn't exist for me anymore. I always thought smoking while drinking makes me very light headed more drunk whatever...that's all gone now.

and lastly (vi) was/ is e-smoking more or less expensive than a box of rolling tobacco or pre-made a day on a weekly basis, please be honest

Used to smoke about 10 or so a day, bought them off some Russian lad came to about 5 euro a box. Vaping is still cheaper for me. Honestly I couldn't really give a flying ****e about money it's the fact that I have escaped the certainty of cancer..you can't put a price on that

Advertisement