Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repotting Phal orchid in Bloom?

• 26-12-2013 4:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

My mum got a gorgeous phal orchid for Christmas that is in full bloom. However it is planted in sphagm moss and the pot is ceramic with no drainage holes.

We have been to the garden centre and can't get a clear, see through pot, however did pick up a terracotta pot which is meant to be ok. However should we repot it while it is bloom? Or would it be better just to gently take it out of the current pot to allow drainage holes to be drilled in it and when the flowers die off to then repot it properly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not be in too much of a rush to do anything at the moment, it is happy and in flower. However while they are extremely easy to grow, it might be better in a transparent pot as the roots like the light, and in orchid bark rather than spagnum moss. Some books recommend filling up the pot with water, leaving it for a few minutes for the bark to get soaked, then pouring off the excess. Don't leave it standing in water. I tend to water mine randomly, when I think about it, and still it flowers happily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

mel.b wrote: »
    My mum got a gorgeous phal orchid for Christmas that is in full bloom. However it is planted in sphagm moss and the pot is ceramic with no drainage holes.

We have been to the garden centre and can't get a clear, see through pot, however did pick up a terracotta pot which is meant to be ok. However should we repot it while it is bloom? Or would it be better just to gently take it out of the current pot to allow drainage holes to be drilled in it and when the flowers die off to then repot it properly?

I got transparent pots in woodies a while ago for repotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Sorry, i should have said i'm home in OZ at the moment. We went to Bunnings (like b & q) and the they didn't have any and the lady said in 5yrs she had never seen any.

However we have ended up repotting it. The ceramic pot it was in had no drainage so something needed to be done. Dad tried to drill holes in that pot but couldn't. It was such a good thing we decided to repot it - under a little bit of decorative moss and stones it was in a flimsy plastic pot wrap that was packed so tight with saturated moss. It would have died if it had stayed in there - the roots had no room to move and they would have rotted because it was so wet with no way of drying out.

Fingers crossed that we have least given it a chance by repotting it.

Advertisement