Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League manager of 2013

• 26-12-2013 10:22am
    Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭

Leading on from what Gary Neville said it got me thinking who has been the best manager of 2013?

For me..

If Moyes had stayed at Everton and they still performed to their current level then it would be hard to look past him, but too many 'if and buts' and his start at Utd rules him out.

Wenger has been his usual consistently brilliant and looked really up against it to get top4 this year but turned around a bad start with a string of great results.

Martinez cant be ruled in with Wigan getting relegated although he is performing great in his new job.

When Pochettino got the Southampton job it raised a few eyebrows especially after just getting the bullet from Espanyol, but coming up to a year now on 18th Jan he has done a fantastic job but recent results have probably not helped.

Brendan Rodgers for me is the manager of the Year.
    results and stats show that in the calender year 2013 he has really turned things around at Liverpool, and with the amount of players moved on and his handling of the Suarez situation just before, and during the summer break has to be admired.

the rest of the managers have been good but also equally bad over the year, or just not in the job long enough.

Who and Why has been the best for you?

*mods on phone so cant add poll- help much appreciated :)

Who was the best EPL manager of 2013 197 votes

Wenger
    0%
    Rodgers
    39%
    gandalfBounty HunterPepe LeFritsparasiteefbUnearthlyMr.Nice GuyCatInABoxbad2dabonethorbarryjanney5gustavoFuzzy_Dunlopronan.hXavi6abelardongariteRed CrowOrdinary manwandatowell 77 votes
    Laudrup
    31%
    Dont be at yourselfmike65spocketyBacchuspeterk19jesus_thats_gremikeymjemMick Shrimptonfred funk }{punk_one82Bandana boyJesus Weptciano1Sunset VinternelligentSideshow Markdaingeanroblivinginkorearob316 63 votes
    Pochettino
    0%
    patmac 1 vote
    Moyes
    6%
    Dozen Wicked WordsGreen Giantcallaway92The_Kew_Tourtitan18Professional GrieferOwen_Sn32ScummyManFlincherbucketybuckqwabercd 12 votes
    Martinez
    3%
    gustafohomerjay2005Nuri Sahinniallo27SirsokMontroseee 6 votes
    Bruce
    12%
    Paulw[Deleted User]Princess Consuela Bananahammockdfx-BoskowskimiralizePierce_1991AidricdoncarlosLumboFatRatkarma_Legwinskithe incredible puddingKERSPLAT!Big Pussy BonpensieroHears6AenaesILikeBananasSureYWouldntYa 25 votes
    AVB
    0%
    8-10 1 vote
    Mourinho
    0%
    [Deleted User] 1 vote
    Allardyce
    1%
    PanthroMeglamonia 2 votes
    Pelligrini
    0%
    Washington Irving 1 vote
    Pardew
    2%
    mirwillbebackSEPT 23 1989DarkglassesTheGoldenAgesTalib Fiasco 5 votes
    Lambert
    1%
    RikandmenoscemoRyu Hayabusa 3 votes
    Poyet
    0%
    Pulis
    0%
    Mackay
    0%
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Alex Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Allardyce for taking Cole, Carroll and Downing.

Runner up...Laudrup for taking Shelvey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

It's very close between Rodgers and Wenger for me.

I'll go with Wenger for the following reasons -

- As you said, turned around a bad run with some great results

- Showed great faith in the likes of Mertesacker, Giroud and Ramsey and is now reaping the benefits. I myself, although a United fan, was always quite critical of the above three, but they have been quite amazing since, though I know Giroud can still divide opinion at times.

- Broke his own habits during the summer and showed a great hunger and ambition by aggressively trying to snatch Suarez (which I think they were unlucky to come up against an equally agressive Liverpool) and finally stopped being such a miser as he was in previous years and paid the fee for Ozil, who has turned out to be a huge success.

- Now on a great run in the league and have every chance of winning it. Unlucky to have drawn Bayern Munich, who will be rightly favourites but I still wouldn't rule the Gunners out. After all, they have beaten them before in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Laudrup
    Id sooner answer this after the two games that remain, but its either Wenger or Rodgers. I'll be back to give the definitive result at about 5 pm on the 29th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rodgers
    The mere mention of Moyes in this thread should result in an immediate troll ban.

It's between Wenger and Rodgers and I'm inclined to go with Wenger for what I'd deem to be better work in the first half of the year.

• Advertisement

Mourinho
    Means little really.

No point being "manager of the year" if you don't achieve your targets come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Wegner

5 PL defeats all year so far

But the year isn't over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Rodgers
    Has to be Wenger. Arsenal have been fantastic all year.

Not that "manager of the year" is worth much for a calendar year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rodgers
    Has to be Wenger. Arsenal have been fantastic all year.

Not that "manager of the year" is worth much for a calendar year.

According to the West Brom board it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I hate to say it but it's Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Bruce
    Wenger for me cos I love his big long puffy coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rodgers
    Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Rodgers
    Ferguson. 1 trophy everyone else nothing :)

Rodgers second

Rodgers
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Ferguson. 1 trophy everyone else nothing :)

Rodgers second

Martinez has the FA Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Rodgers
    should get a poll added

Rodgers
    efb wrote: »
    Martinez has the FA Cup

Premier league manager

Rodgers
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Premier league manager

Everton in the EPL.

Rodgers
    efb wrote: »
    Everton in the EPL.

Its about the premier league only.

And it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Now leave me alone. You are stressing me out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

If its judged by how much a manager has improved a team then it has to be Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Brendan Rodgers :rolleyes:

AVB has had a better year than him.

I'LL go wenger.

• Advertisement

Rodgers
    Wenger amassed the most EPL points in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Arsenal lost their first game of the season. They were hardly adrift at the bottom after 10 and made a miraculous surge up the table. They had a very good 1st half of the year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Bruce
    Isn't it too awkward to choose over a calendar year rather than a season ?

You're deciding on how somebody finished a season and how they started a season. Doesn't make sense to me.

So far on this seasons evidence I'd say Steve Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Moyes
    Pochettino gets my all important vote. Although the wheels have fallen off a bit at Southampton, they are still hugely overachieving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Laudrup
    The Rogers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Rodgers
    Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rodgers
    I'll add a poll in the next few minutes, meant to do it a few days ago but slipped my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rodgers
    I'm going to say Wenger, just, hes followed closely by Rodgers and then Martinez takes 3rd.

I dont think theres any doubt those are the top 3 and the top 2 are definites but in what order is different matter.

I picked Wenger as Arsenal since the turn of the year have really improved and kicked on, 2013 has being a good calendar year for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Rodgers
    There's a few that merit a mention. Wenger & Rodgers for obvious reasons, along with Martinez for both his work at everton and cup win at Wigan, Pochitino (sp) for what he has done at Southampton and Ferguson, for getting what he did out of a squad far below the standard of his rivals. Despite only spending half a season each in the league, both Benitez, for how he turned things around at Chelsea given the opposition to his appointment, and Steve Bruce, for how well hull have adapted to life in the league also deserve to be in the top 5/6

For me though, it got to be Wenger. In signing Ozil, he showed a willingness to amend his methods, while a number of those he brought in in recent years have really come to the fore under his guidance. Given the infinite resources available to his rivals, Wenger has worked miracles to keep Arsenal up there challenging at the top of the league.

Wenger, like Ferguson, is one of those managers who if he were to be replaced, I think its safe to say that no manager with similar resources would come anywhere close to achieving the type of results he has. While the likes of Rodgers, Pochitino and Martinez have all done excellent jobs, I don't believe such a gulf exists between them, and any possible replacements

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Laudrup
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'll add a poll in the next few minutes, meant to do it a few days ago but slipped my mind.

Thanks Gav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Moyes
    If its judged by how much a manager has improved a team then it has to be Rodgers

Nope. In relative terms Pochettino has improved Southampton more than Rodgers has done at Liverpool, with far less resources and a lesser brand to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Laudrup
    Manager of the year is a pointless thread. Lets talk in May. If wenger wins the league he my pick if he doesn't and Rodgers gets back into the top 4 he gets my pick.

Rodgers
    Nope. In relative terms Pochettino has improved Southampton more than Rodgers has done at Liverpool, with far less resources and a lesser brand to work with.

Since taking over, pochettino has spent as much, if not more then Rodgers in that period. Its also relevant that it's far cheaper to sign a number of players capable of elevating a club from the bottom three to mid table, then it is to sign the calibre of players capable of taking a club from 7th/8th to the top 4.

I don't necessarily disagree that Pochettino has performed better then Rodgers, I just disagree that Pochettino has done what he has with limited resources

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Laudrup
    rob316 wrote: »
    Manager of the year is a pointless thread. Lets talk in May. If wenger wins the league he my pick if he doesn't and Rodgers gets back into the top 4 he gets my pick.

I see your point but its also good to do the calendar year as it takes in two transfer windows which are a critical aspect to a managers reign, and just like the PL player of the year is voted on in Jan, we are doing our manager one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rodgers
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm going to say Wenger, just, hes followed closely by Rodgers and then Martinez takes 3rd.

I dont think theres any doubt those are the top 3 and the top 2 are definites but in what order is different matter.

I picked Wenger as Arsenal since the turn of the year have really improved and kicked on, 2013 has being a good calendar year for them.

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Martinez
    Pochettino gets my all important vote. Although the wheels have fallen off a bit at Southampton, they are still hugely overachieving.

they spent £71million in 12 months including 6 players who have pretty much went straight into their first team.

Pochettino has of course done well and identified some top signings, but to say they are hugely overachieving right now is a bit much.

while lots of teams come up and struggle, the ones who spend money wisely (look at stoke for example) tend to establish themselves in the 8th to 14th area and stay there.

Southampton in all fairness, aint doing a huge pile better than Hull at the moment who have only spent £15million in this period.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bruce
    Martinez, it's not really that close.

Rodgers
    they spent £71million in 12 months including 6 players who have pretty much went straight into their first team.

Pochettino has of course done well and identified some top signings, but to say they are hugely overachieving right now is a bit much.

while lots of teams come up and struggle, the ones who spend money wisely (look at stoke for example) tend to establish themselves in the 8th to 14th area and stay there.

Southampton in all fairness, aint doing a huge pile better than Hull at the moment who have only spent £15million in this period.

Agree with most of above, but stoke I don't think spent wisely

Stoke have spent huge money since coming up, and for the calibre of players they have assembled, have been short changed IMO.

While Southampton have spent big, they've a solid base there now that can be built upon over the coming years. Stoke unnecessarily created a ceiling for themselves by investing in players to suit a system that, while effective in keeping them in the league, limits them in terms of any long term progress above that aim

Martinez
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    Agree with most of above, but stoke I don't think spent wisely

Stoke have spent huge money since coming up, and for the calibre of players they have assembled, have been short changed IMO.

all about consolidation and for a club of their stature, 5 years of finishing 11-14th is money well spent IMO.

their net outlay in the last 6 summers has been £91million, which is an average of just over £15million a season, hardly earth shattering is it considering they turn over about £65-£70million a year at the moment?

they even spent f8ck all this year and are doing ok so far, though this could come back to haunt them if they dont get in 1 or 2 players in January.

Rodgers
    all about consolidation and for a club of their stature, 5 years of finishing 11-14th is money well spent IMO.

their net outlay in the last 6 summers has been £91million, which is an average of just over £15million a season, hardly earth shattering is it considering they turn over about £65-£70million a year at the moment?

they even spent f8ck all this year and are doing ok so far, though this could come back to haunt them if they dont get in 1 or 2 players in January.

For that level of revenue, its is a substantial outlay. Celtic have a similar turnover, yet spend considerably less. Different league obviously, just making the comparison on the basis of revenue. I'd imagine stoke are loosing quiet a bit of money too, given that level of spending relative yo their revenue

As you say though, it has guaranteed their survival in the league. While I think they could have spent that money better, I couldn't argue that it hasn't been worthwhile for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Rodgers
    dfx- wrote: »
    Martinez, it's not really that close.

He got Wigan relegated in 2013, that's too big to be ignored. Doing a great job at Everton though

Martinez
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    For that level of revenue, its is a substantial outlay. Celtic have a similar turnover, yet spend considerably less.

Celtic do have a capability of selling players for decent money. once a player signs for Stoke, they generally become worthless :)

I can't believe Rodgers has so many votes, I wonder have any non pool supporters voted for him. He's currently doing very well but he's still no where close to what other managers have achieved in 2013.

Not saying wenger wins it hands down but arsenal finished 4th and were first at the end of 2013.

Rodgers finished 7th and was fifth at the end of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Rodgers
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I can't believe Rodgers has so many votes, I wonder have any non pool supporters voted for him. He's currently doing very well but he's still no where close to what other managers have achieved in 2013.

Not saying wenger wins it hands down but arsenal finished 4th and were first at the end of 2013.

You just want to fight with some Liverpool fans dont you??? ;)

Laudrup

Were first on Christmas day played City and Chelsea (and the refs) away still 4th. Pretty good going.

to put the progress into context -

Liverpool calender year 2012 39 games 46 points 54 goals for 51 goals against g/d + 03
    Liverpool calender year 2013 37 games 69 points 84 goals for 40 goals against g/d + 44.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Pardew
    I'm suprised nobody has voted for Pardew...

Laudrup
    I was thinking about him earlier - has certainly improved on last season hugely.

mike65 wrote: »
    Were first on Christmas day played City and Chelsea (and the refs) awar still 4th. Pretty good going.

to put the progress into context -

Liverpool calender year 2012 39 games 46 points 54 goals for 51 goals against g/d + 03
    Liverpool calender year 2013 37 games 69 points 84 goals for 40 goals against g/d + 44.

Dont. Get me wrong, he's doing a fantastic job so far, definitely progress being made, signings look slightly better and better football being played.

I just don't think he's been manager of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dont. Get me wrong, he's doing a fantastic job so far, definitely progress being made, signings look slightly better and better football being played.

I just don't think he's been manager of the year.

Which is probably the most convincing argument that he is in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Laudrup
    Rodgers for the attractive football, along with good results and the way he handled the Suarez situations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement