Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League manager of 2013

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Laudrup
    Voted for Rodgers. He adapted his style of play over the year to suit the players he had and it's working a treat. Playing attractive football and winning games doing it. He has got the advantage of having Suarez in the team but credit has to go to him for getting the best out of him (and for his part in keeping Suarez over the Summer too). Off the field, his handling of the media has been excellent.

I would have put Ferguson ahead of him though if he was in the poll. His ability as a manager is only highlighted by the plight that Moyes finds himself in with that same squad now. I'm sure there is more to it than that (Moyes wasn't exactly backed in the transfer market) but winning the title with that squad looks an incredibly achievement with hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's Ferguson.

then probably Sherwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Pardew
    I think it's fair to say OP meant manager of half season or else Ferguson would be in the poll obviously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Laudrup
    I think it's fair to say OP meant manager of half season or else Ferguson would be in the poll obviously...

I don't think so, he mentions Martinez's time at Wigan and Moyes time at Everton as factors in his own choice. Pretty clear it's for 2013 as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Dont. Get me wrong, he's doing a fantastic job so far, definitely progress being made, signings look slightly better and better football being played.

I just don't think he's been manager of the year.

Funny i find Liverpool fans seem to be more appreciative of him then Liverpool fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Rodgers
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Funny i find Liverpool fans seem to be more appreciative of him then Liverpool fans

I think its the Liverpool fans that like him the best.
    Those Liverpool fans really hate him

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'm suprised nobody has voted for Pardew...

More to do with he's smarmy personality I would imagine, he really is one dislikeable individual, doing a suprisingly good job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Moyes
    Has to be Ferguson - walked the league with a very average squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Martinez
    Owen_S wrote: »
    Has to be Ferguson - walked the league with a very average squad.

Yes but he hasn't won a game since may.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fergie
    Wenger
    Rodgers

Edit: Is this actually a thing? Is there a manager of the calender year award in England?

Stupid award, manager of the season, yeah, fair enough, should be an award for that. Manager of the calender year, started by a pool fan, who just so happens to think Rodgers should be the choice? Well I never ;) What difference does it make really, unless you are the manager of the season? which two of the three managers I named are still in the running for

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Rodgers for the attractive football, along with good results and the way he handled the Suarez situations.

As opposed to Wengers hoof ball, bad results and total **** up in the transfer window :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Laudrup
    kryogen wrote: »
    As opposed to Wengers hoof ball, bad results and total **** up in the transfer window :confused::D

:D:confused: It was a hard decision between Wenger, Martinez and Rodgers but my Red tinted spectacles just shaded it:)

Martinez got a team relegated in 2013 so should he really be in the picture? Hasnt got Everton into a better league position then they were a year ago either

Flavor of the month though I guess but I struggle to understand how he can be anyones choice over the 12 months. So many more deserving

Edit:

Just to illustrate the point, last year

Wa3XYak.png

this year

yN6ExM0.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lambert
    Cant believe that mine is only the second vote for pardew, he has really turned that team around!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Laudrup
    Jeez Kryogen would you like a dash of Gin with your bitter posts?

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Jeez Kryogen would you like a dash of Gin with your bitter posts?

Where exactly have I been bitter? Putting forth Wenger? Rodgers? Pointing out the flaws in the theory that Martinez should be considered above either of those and a few others also.

How any of that is bitter is beyond me, cute sound bite though.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Laudrup
    edit:why bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rodgers
    Rikand wrote: »
    Cant believe that mine is only the second vote for pardew, he has really turned that team around!

He just about breaks even. He and his team were pretty poor for the first half of 2013, narrowly avoiding relegation. He's turned it around now and full credit to him but it doesn't wipe away how poorly he performed 'till May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Agueroooo wrote: »
    edit:why bother

Why bother make stupid comments unless you're willing to back them up?

Why bother indeed.

Wenger for me with Rogers second.

Big surprise to see the turd thank that post eh, never misses a chance to shine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Rodgers
    Rikand wrote: »

The reason he had to turn it around is because he ****ed it up so badly last season. And we are only 8th. I don't think there is one team below us with a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

For me where a team is May and their achievements then count for about 80% for for rating a manager in a calendar year. Being fourth or where ever in January counts for Jack in my opinion.

I'll go fergy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Season so far top three are wenger and rodgers with pardew behind them. Martinez cant really be in the running, consider if his jan - may performance was swapped with his sept - jan and he wouldnt be near the running, too much focus on current and discounting events earlier in the year. Calender year for me is wenger fergie rodgers and benitez, in that order. With fergie and rodgers very close.

Martinez
    Where exactly have I been bitter? Putting forth Wenger? Rodgers? Pointing out the flaws in the theory that Martinez should be considered above either of those and a few others also.

How any of that is bitter is beyond me, cute sound bite though.

Why did you feel the need to point out he was a liverpool supporter though and that he picked Rodgers. You picked ferguson even though he only had half a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rodgers
    EPL manager of 2013 and Martinez is getting shouts, do you not know he got relegated last season? Seriously wtf.

If Fergie was in the poll he'd get my vote, since not it has to be Wenger. Honourable mention to Pochettino and then Rodgers behind in 4th.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to point out he was a liverpool supporter though and that he picked Rodgers. You picked ferguson even though he only had half a year.

That was the joke, there was even a stupid smily included to emphasize the joke, I dunno, forget smileys in future I reckon, after everything said in jest it would probably be better if everybody put a disclaimer in each post detailing what they are messing about and what they are serious about

I also put forward Rodgers, I am clearly not a Liverpool supporter, did that not give a hint?

Still doesnt make my posts bitter even if you want to take offence in that way so that comment is bizarre.

Martinez
    Its mad to think that a majority of Arsenal fans wanted Wenger sacked in the summer and he was even booed of the field in his first game of the season and now he is winning the namager of the year.

Rodgers
    For me where a team is May and their achievements then count for about 80% for for rating a manager in a calendar year. Being fourth or where ever in January counts for Jack in my opinion.

I'll go fergy

He did well to win the league, especially with the squad at his disposal. He has to take some of the responsibility for how poorly Man Utd have started under Moyes though, he neglected squad development and now the team is suffering.

Rodgers
    Its mad to think that a majority of Arsenal fans wanted Wenger sacked in the summer and he was even booed of the field in his first game of the season and now he is winning the namager of the year.

Not in the Summer, but when we lost at home to Blackburn in the cup last Winter, having already lost to Bradford and had some very poor results in the league at that point, I was beginning to wonder whether it was time for him to go. So pleased he's managed to turn it around.

Please look up the word majority in a dictionary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Rodgers

You need to Google "majority". :P

I don't think more than one or two were, and they got laughed at. Frustrated with lack of signings =/= wanting manager out.

Maybe it does for you, I don't know.

Martinez
    Please look up the word majority in a dictionary!

I'm not having a go at arsenal fans, they had plenty of reason to think a fresh start was needed. I would say over 50% wanted him gone, of course they will never admit it. I'm sure you were always 100% behind him.

Shows you how quickly things can turn around in football alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rodgers
    I would say over 50% wanted him gone, of course they will never admit it.

And where did you pull that figure from? A complete guess?

You need to Google "majority". :P

I don't think more than one or two were, and they got laughed at. Frustrated with lack of signings =/= wanting manager out.

Maybe it does for you, I don't know.

It was a lot more then one or two! There was a lot of unrest amongst the supporters, the team was booed off the field after the Villa game etc

People said he wouldnt change, was too stubborn and it was time to go.

Martinez
    And where did you pull that figure from? A complete guess?

I dont know the figure but i know a lot of arsenal fans who thought maybe it was time to go. There is no shame in getting it wrong, i was wrong about Rodgers so far, i did not think he was up for the job.

Rodgers
    It was a lot more then one or two! There was a lot of unrest amongst the supporters, the team was booed off the field after the Villa game etc

People said he wouldnt change, was too stubborn and it was time to go.

I doubt more than a handful (perhaps more than two, but certainly a very very long way short of a majority) wanted him sacked. They may have been the loudest, but that's always the case.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=12606

heres a thread from A year ago, check the poll, doesnt look to a majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rodgers
    I dont know the figure but i know a lot of arsenal fans who thought maybe it was time to go. There is no shame in getting it wrong, i was wrong about Rodgers so far, i did not think he was up for the job.

I think you were mistaking a vocal minority for 50%+. From my experience in multiple Arsenal forums, it's patently untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

A majority really?? Not even close. The 'majority' wanted him to spend some money. A minority wanted him sacked. But don't let that get in the way of a good line!

Martinez

25% is still a large number, plus that thread was started in 09 when it would have been madness to even think of getting rid of him.

Mourinho

A year ago? :confused:

That's from 2009, almost 5 years ago

Rodgers
    25% is still a large number, plus that thread was started in 09 when it would have been madness to even think of getting rid of him.
    It wasn't a poll of Arsenal fans.

Martinez
    It wasn't a poll of Arsenal fans.

I didnt bring that old thread back up. I'm not having a go at arsenal fans, i'm just saying what a turn around wenger has made.

Ah yes, boards.ie, where all the Arsenal fans are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement