Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook Pro 13in and external hard drives

• 26-12-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying an MacBook pro and someone told me I might have to format my memory sticks and external hard drive to the device and that I could lose what's on the memory sticks and hard drives.

Is this true?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yes and no. OS X will work fine with FAT32 formatted drives. This is what you'll find on most USB sticks. Some external hard drives are formatted in Microsofts NTFS file system and OS X can read from this but not write. You can get it working but there is a better alternative.
    ExFAT was developed by Microsoft to fix file size limitations of FAT which can only store files smaller than 4GB and works with OS X.

So if your drives are all FAT32 then you're grand. If your drives are NTFS then you're going to have to think about more portable file systems.
    Of course there's nothing stopping you copying the contents of the drive to your Mac or another drive, formatting the drive in Disk Utility and copying the contents back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

5uspect wrote: »
    Yes and no. OS X will work fine with FAT32 formatted drives. This is what you'll find on most USB sticks. Some external hard drives are formatted in Microsofts NTFS file system and OS X can read from this but not write. You can get it working but there is a better alternative.
    ExFAT was developed by Microsoft to fix file size limitations of FAT which can only store files smaller than 4GB and works with OS X.

So if your drives are all FAT32 then you're grand. If your drives are NTFS then you're going to have to think about more portable file systems.
    Of course there's nothing stopping you copying the contents of the drive to your Mac or another drive, formatting the drive in Disk Utility and copying the contents back.

Thanks, if the drives are not formatted to the mac will it allow my transfer from drive to mac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Thanks, if the drives are not formatted to the mac will it allow my transfer from drive to mac?

Yep, you should be able to copy to Mac no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

I had this issue when I found an old harddrive a while back – I just downloaded a little tweak (NTFS-3G) from the internet and now reading/writing works perfectly fine with my NTFS formatted drives. It just adds a preference pane, so no big obtrusive apps to deal with.

Advertisement