Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S Gift Card Question.

Options
  • 26-12-2013 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a M&S Giftcard purchased from a store in the ROI can be used in the UK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does anyone know if a M&S Giftcard purchased from a store in the ROI can be used in the UK?

Yes they can and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

athtrasna wrote: »
    Yes they can and vice versa

Great thank you, couldn't find anything about it on there website and forgot to ask when I was purchasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I wonder do they apply a GBP to EUR FX rate with a healthy margin attached in these situations. Bet they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fungus wrote: »
    I wonder do they apply a GBP to EUR FX rate with a healthy margin attached in these situations. Bet they do.

You'll get the going rate they apply on the day, just like if you produced Eurocash in Newry or Belfast.
    Why always the negative suspension from people here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You'll get the going rate they apply on the day, just like if you produced Eurocash in Newry or Belfast.

The Rate they offer is poor value, you're better off spending Gift Cards that are in euro in the republic. On the other hand I've gotten a great rate in the past spending Sterling Cards in the republic. However, the staff are always very helpful and will tell you the rate before you buy anything, It might be an idea to ask.

• Advertisement

The suspicion is legitimate. Too often certain retailers give very poor value when you offer them euros. You're better off changing your money beforehand a lot of the time. Ask Questions before you make a purchase. The worst offenders I ever came across were a large UK newsagent. A few years ago They were offering 67p for every euro when the exchange rate was 87p for a euro.

The Rate they offer is poor value, you're better off spending Gift Cards that are in euro in the republic. On the other hand I've gotten a great rate in the past spending Sterling Cards in the republic. However, the staff are always very helpful and will tell you the rate before you buy anything, It might be an idea to ask.

And I have, many of times, gotten pound for euro, 1 for 1, in the north as well. You cannot generalise on this.

The suspicion is legitimate. Too often certain retailers give very poor value when you offer them euros. You're better off changing your money beforehand a lot of the time. Ask Questions before you make a purchase. The worst offenders I ever came across were a large UK newsagent. A few years ago They were offering 67p for every euro when the exchange rate was 87p for a euro.

Now you are talking exchange rates offered in general. In your first post you implied they would offer a poor rate if you specifically have a euro gift card. That is the nonsense suspicion I refered to.
    Overall I find the exchange rates fairly decent in stores in Newry and Banbridge in particular. They are often better than the bank rate. The Outlet recently gave pound for euro - which is as good as 17% reduction on price.
    Of course it can go the other way. Just like retailers in the south often try to take advantage with poor exchange rates as well.
    I would usually withdraw sterling if in the north but please remember that the OP was asking about using a gift card. How do you suggest she change it to sterling before going north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

The person who I purchased the giftcard for will not be in the slightest concerned about the exchange rate. I thought she would use it in a ROI store but after I gave it to her she said she was going to use it on her trip to London in February because she has more 'comfort' shopping in a place where she doesn't know anyone, she's 70+ but please feel free to continue the discussion about exchange rates.

She is well-off anyway and when she goes anywhere she always brings her cards, never cash, she has enough bother organising all her tablets etc for any trip she has to make, the last thing to concern her would be exchange rates but for the rest of us this will make for interesting reading.

Now you are talking exchange rates offered in general. In your first post you implied they would offer a poor rate if you specifically have a euro gift card. That is the nonsense suspicion I refered to.
    Overall I find the exchange rates fairly decent in stores in Newry and Banbridge in particular. They are often better than the bank rate. The Outlet recently gave pound for euro - which is as good as 17% reduction on price.
    Of course it can go the other way. Just like retailers in the south often try to take advantage with poor exchange rates as well.
    I would usually withdraw sterling if in the north but please remember that the OP was asking about using a gift card. How do you suggest she change it to sterling before going north?

I made two separate posts. The first about M&S gift cards. (the clue is the title of the thread) I have personal experience of trying to use an M&S gift card in their Derry Shop that was in euro. The exchange rate was very poor, the assistant pointed this out to me and asked would I rather pay by another method. Decent service from M&S but not a decent rate on that day.

I've used M&S gift cards in Dublin that were in Sterling, and things worked out cheaper. This is not nonsense, it's what happened.

In the second post I gave an example which happened to me in Belfast, again something that actually happened. I Advised that you should ask questions beforehand for a better experience and that in my opinion M&S gift cards are better spent in the republic if bought in the republic.

Your post comes across as being aggressive and all knowing. I have pointed out each situation is different. I don't have all the answers and neither do you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement