Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Least interesting team in the Premiership?

• 26-12-2013 1:15pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's always one team in the top flight who are never involved in anything interesting - neither challenging for the title, or even the top four, nor seriously involved in a relegation battle, no great players or high scorers, going out early in the cup every year, just basically there to flesh out the table year after year. For a long time this was Coventry, then Southampton, even Spurs for a time and Everton. The latter aren't far off, still, but they did at least qualify for Europe in the not too distant past.

It's probably Aston Villa at the moment, with Stoke worth a mention. Who will one day take the crown from them as the least interesting premiership side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

There's always one team in the top flight who are never involved in anything interesting - neither challenging for the title, or even the top four, nor seriously involved in a relegation battle, no great players or high scorers, going out early in the cup every year, just basically there to flesh out the table year after year. For a long time this was Coventry, then Southampton, even Spurs for a time and Everton. The latter aren't far off, still, but they did at least qualify for Europe in the not too distant past.

It's probably Aston Villa at the moment, with Stoke worth a mention. Who will one day take the crown from them as the least interesting premiership side?

Has to be Fulham. Always mediocre. Usually just raise the white flag away from home and are rarely entertaining at home. At least Stoke had the capability to rattle the big boys and had a distinctive style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fulham probably, they don't even have a decent manager crisis really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I completely forgot about Fulham. probably says a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fulham who got to the Europa League final a few years back?

They are boring, that they reached the EL does not change anything. Wigan did not become more interesting winning a cup, or Birmingham (who are probably the least interesting side in the English game)

• Advertisement

But Everton qualifying for Europe gives them a pass?

no. winning a cup, like relegation and promotion, are major events. as a fan they'll obviously mean something to you even if nobody else cares. winning a cup and getting relegated in the same year is the antithesis of uninteresting and Wigan were always in the basement battle for the last few years. Birmingham, as a yo yo club, have no place here either.

Everton are still more interesting, how could they not be, proper history won plenty (if not recently), have a progressive manager now and are playing good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sorry. The opening post is nonsense

I'm sad you feel that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

No team with Tony Hibbert can ever be considered boring. Another riot waiting to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Norwich City

mike65 wrote: »
    Everton are still more interesting, how could they not be, proper history won plenty (if not recently), have a progressive manager now and are playing good football.

article-1301859919109-0B769A2E00000578-400162_466x559.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its been Villa for years.

Awful football, managers who would bore the face off you, fans who hardly show up, chairmen who were more concerned with their own images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Turtyturd wrote: »
    article-1301859919109-0B769A2E00000578-400162_466x559.jpg

article-2281802-18245936000005DC-903_634x814.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Villa or West Ham for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

West Brom/Ham

LiamoSail wrote: »
    article-2281802-18245936000005DC-903_634x814.jpg

Touche.

I'm sad you feel that way.

By your own criteria Astonishing Villa are nowhere near the least interesting

Did you fail to notice recent relegation battles, current plight.....and Christian Benteke?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Aston Villa. They bring nothing to the league. Consistently lower mid table, always horrible to watch, no exciting players and always a bleak atmosphere at Villa Park. Its depressing even to think about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Can't believe Everton can even be suggested, play good football and perform brilliantly with hardly any net spending. Probably just certain Liverpool fans who could think of suggesting it.

if net spending is one of your criteria for what makes a team interesting I'm not sure what to say... likewise Christian Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Aston Villa. They bring nothing to the league. Consistently lower mid table, always horrible to watch, no exciting players and always a bleak atmosphere at Villa Park. Its depressing even to think about them.

This could be said about any team who have had a poor few years, or any team who don't win anything also 'bring nothing to the league', which by the way is one of those terrible football phrases that I hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Corholio wrote: »
    This could be said about any team who have had a poor few years, or any team who don't win anything also 'bring nothing to the league', which by the way is one of those terrible football phrases that I hate.

I think there are teams that never win anything that do bring something to the league. The likes of Everton, Swansea, Newcastle, Sunderland, WBA, West Ham all bring certain elements people can enjoy. Even the likes of Stoke bring something different to the league. Villa are just nothingness.

I just seen Chris Kamara reporting from Villa Park. The place is dead, very quiet, very depressing. Not even Kammy can make the place or match seem interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

West Ham, Fulham and West Brom

Fulham probably edges it!

if net spending is one of your criteria for what makes a team interesting I'm not sure what to say... likewise Christian Benteke.

A club who is never involved in anything and never had a top player / goalscorer

That was YOUR criteria Villa were and are in relegation danger and Benteke scored 23 goals last season for Villa (and more for Belgium and Genk).

Including Everton is nonsense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Fullingham Hotspurpool Villa are painful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would probably say Villa overall.

Rarely seem to be anywhere near the top of the table but never really seem in real danger of going down. Just permanently exist in that mid-table netherworld.

finished fifteenth last year and are currently thirteenth. their top scorer was fourth in the league last year. who would you pick as less interesting and why?

• Advertisement

I think there are teams that never win anything that do bring something to the league. The likes of Everton, Swansea, Newcastle, Sunderland, WBA, West Ham all bring certain elements people can enjoy. Even the likes of Stoke bring something different to the league. Villa are just nothingness.

I just seen Chris Kamara reporting from Villa Park. The place is dead, very quiet, very depressing. Not even Kammy can make the place or match seem interesting.

What do West Brom bring that Villa don't? what do Fulham bring that Villa don't? Also...certain elements? do explain.

Villa Park isn't the only quiet ground in the league, teams form has a lot to do with that.

west brom were promoted only a couple of years ago and relegated not long before that.

west brom were promoted only a couple of years ago and relegated not long before that.

So Villa should be lambasted for not being bad enough to get relegated? Still don't see what that gives WBA over Villa in being in the league.

finished fifteenth last year and are currently thirteenth. their top scorer was fourth in the league last year. who would you pick as less interesting and why?

Villa were in the bottom 3 or 4 nearly all season and are very definite realistical candidates for relegation this season too. Especially after today result. Also, 4th top scorer, especially in a struggling side, is a top player

Stoke meet all the criteria. The fact that they have a few Irish players is the only thing stopping me from forgetting they exist.

Corholio wrote: »
    So Villa should be lambasted for not being bad enough to get relegated? Still don't see what that gives WBA over Villa in being in the league.

lambasted? it's not a question of who deserves to be where just a measure of just how much you can expect to get excited by or for a side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Got to be Fulham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

What a $hit thread. For one thing there is no such thing as the premiership. It stopped being called that years ago. Secondly who gives a flying f*ck who somebody deems to be the least interesting team. It's about the least interesting idea for a thread I've seen here in quite a while and that's saying something. It's right up there with starting a thread on whether you prefer a white ball or the yellow ball they currently use in "the premiership"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

To be honest most of it is uninteresting.

I often think about watching a game at 3 on a Saturday on a stream and all the is on offer is Hull v WBA, or Cardiff v Norwich etc.

The interesting games that include teams going for the title or European spots are spread out between 12.45 on a Saturday and 4 on a Sunday.
    That being said the relegation "6 pointers"near the end of the season do add a little bit of interest to some teams.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

has to be Villa. Fulham are a good shout but Villa have been doing it longer :p its a shame as I like the club and the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Has to be Villa. The only interesting thing about them is that they're in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Aston Villa, West Ham or WBA.

I quite like Fulham, lovely ground, bat**** crazy chairman, and they often have a few players I like (Dempsey, Kasami, Berbatov, and Duffer). WBA having Lukaku and Long makes them a bit more fun, and the Odemwingie saga was amusing. Shame about everything else.

Don't think I like a single player at West Ham.

What's Charles Nzogbia at these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What a $hit thread. For one thing there is no such thing as the premiership. It stopped being called that years ago. Secondly who gives a flying f*ck who somebody deems to be the least interesting team. It's about the least interesting idea for a thread I've seen here in quite a while and that's saying something. It's right up there with starting a thread on whether you prefer a white ball or the yellow ball they currently use in "the premiership"

Y so hostile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Aston Villa are kind of interesting because they have a few talented young players. Pity they have played boring football for so long.

Fulham haven't had anything interesting going on since their Europa run so they get my vote.

I think it comes down to whether or not a team has any exciting young players for me.

Advertisement