Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water pump noise. can i turn it off altogether?

• 26-12-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Just moved into our new house (not new build) and there is an extremely noisy Grundfos MQ pump in the hot press that pressurises everything except the central heating, from what i can make out. It sits directly on the floorboards of the hot press and the vibrations are transmitted directly to the joists and so throughout the house. I've read a few older threads on noisy pumps but there are solid pipes connected to the pump so i cant even lift it 1mm so there is no possibility of attempting the insulation techniques until the new year when i'll have to get a plumber out to see if i can get flexi pipes fitted.
    The pump comes on regularily 24h/day regardless of anyone running water. I cant find any leaking taps or toilets. The documentation says a possible cause is a faulty non return valve?

In the mean time can I turn the pump off altogether or put it on a timer switch so that it isnt coming on during the night? I dont want the system to get airlocked but its waking up kids and visitors in rooms on either side of the hot press.

Would it also be possible to just have changed so its just pressurising the shower/bath pipes instead of the entire system if water pressure is ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Scruff wrote: »
    The pump comes on regularily 24h/day regardless of anyone running water. I cant find any leaking taps or toilets. The documentation says a possible cause is a faulty non return valve?

Most likely the non-return valve, but also check that the filling valves in the toilet cisterns are not dripping slightly.

In the mean time can I turn the pump off altogether or put it on a timer switch so that it isnt coming on during the night? I dont want the system to get airlocked but its waking up kids and visitors in rooms on either side of the hot press.

Yes to both questions, it will do no harm but water pressure may be greatly reduced and possibly no pressure at certain points. Try it and see. It should not create air locks if the system is plumbed correctly.
    Would it also be possible to just have changed so its just pressurising the shower/bath pipes instead of the entire system if water pressure is ok?

A site visit would be required for that, to assertain the feasability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stonemadlad

A lot of the noise is vibration through the pipes.

Fit a flexible pipe, in line, where it leaves the grundfus so that the rest of the pipe work doesn't transmit noise upwards.

Also, simple one, place a folded old sheet under the pump where it sits on the floor boards to stop the noise transmission across the floor boards.

Might be worth while taking these simple cost effective steps before going too to much expense and see if that improves the situation.

By nature they are a powerful pump, short of covering it, which you are not supposed to do, the noise is one down side to a fantastic pump that does what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Thanks for the reply. Is that the pipe to the top or front of the pump?
    Am planning on getting a plumber out to put on the flexible pipe on top as i cant move the pump at all to try insulating the vibrations down with the pipe thats there, havent gotten round to it yet though. There is a big valve and knob directly on the piping directly above the pump, not sure what its for perhaps a pressure gauge? pic attached.

I havent had any noise problems at night since i put the timer switch on it to turn it off at night although i've noticed that the pump does start with a fair old thump too.
    I also found the downstairs toilet cistern over fills on occasion at night which would result in lowering the pressure and triggering the pump. Its doesnt do it every night which is strange. Will replace the ballcock assembly on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stonemadlad

Both, when you have plumber there, turn off water, remove both connections, seat pump on non combustible material, on soft foam, refit pump with flexible pipe section top and side, hey presto!

Advertisement