Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

central heating banging

• 26-12-2013 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

HI folks,

turned on the external oil burner this morning while the stove (with back boiler) was lit, first time having both on together . after a few minutes, water came from the overflow tank in the attic, via the overflow pipes outside and then the pipework from the stove to the cylinder started banging. There's no air in the system as far as i am aware anyway!

Can anyone help me out on this one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

What is the oil boiler thermostat set at ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

What is the oil boiler thermostat set at ?

the stat on the boiler itself has no numbers (firebird, condenser boiler) but little lines going from narrow to thick, its at the narrowest mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

hallo dare wrote: »
    the stat on the boiler itself has no numbers (firebird, condenser boiler) but little lines going from narrow to thick, its at the narrowest mark.

Any banging with the stove only ?

A few pics of the pipework in the hot press too if you can. Try include pumps, cylinder, thermostat, and pipes from the stove

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any banging with the stove only ?

no, nothing from either on their own, only when stove lit and warmed up and then when i give the oil a dart. There's a stat inthe hotpress for the stove set for 45 wwhich is doing the job for the circulation pump as it heats the rads no hassle.

• Advertisement

pic 1,the slim pipes are those for the oil, the fatter ones are the stoves pipes with the stat attached on pic2 to the flow pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It's a piping issue. Pumps are pulling against each other & the oil pump is winning.
    You will have to re-pipe correctly or only run one at a time.

shane0007 wrote: »
    It's a piping issue. Pumps are pulling against each other & the oil pump is winning.
    You will have to re-pipe correctly or only run one at a time.
    ah balls

You also need to move the stat to the flow pipe of the stove as close as possible to the stove itself.
    At the moment it's on the return & too far from the stove.

You also need to move the stat to the flow pipe of the stove as close as possible to the stove itself.
    At the moment it's on the return & too far from the stove.

That's really as close as i can get, should i move it to the flow pipe regardless. Bloody cowboy that done this place!

• Advertisement

That's really as close as i can get, should i move it to the flow pipe regardless. Bloody cowboy that done this place!

Yes it should be on the flow. There should be that gate valve there either. Is that a pressuried cylinder?

The problem will be you will get creep heat from the cylinder when the oil boiler is on. This will switch on the solid fuel pump & dump the heat from the cylinder.

You will have to find a closer position on the flow at the back boiler.

Yes it should be on the flow. There should be that gate valve there either. Is that a pressuried cylinder?

Just looked there again, the stat is on the flow pipe (bottom) and the return is on the top, and yes, that's a gate valve on the return.

Just looked there again, the stat is on the flow pipe (bottom) and the return is on the top, and yes, that's a gate valve on the return.

There should be no valves on the primary circuit of solid fuel. Where is the pump located.?? I hate those upside down coils on cylinders. If that cylinder is pressurised then you have another problem

Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?

On them cylinders Shane, the flow is marked on the bottom and return on top

On them cylinders Shane, the flow is marked on the bottom and return on top

Oh I know that. Was just trying to establish for sure it was one of those or piped wrong.

Oh I know that. Was just trying to establish for sure it was one of those or piped wrong.

Ah rite ok

Ah rite ok

It might not be one of those. Coil connections could be beside each other. Flow on left, return on right.

Why do you think that?

That's written on the tank, how do i tell if it's pressuried system?

• Advertisement

Do you have a make & model of the cylinder?
    Does the pipe beside the return on the left say Flow?

Do you have a make & model of the cylinder?
    Does the pipe beside the return on the left say Flow?

sorry, no make or model for you. nothing marked on the pipework you're asking about, as far as the sort of system i have, i have a cold water tank and a small tank in the attic.

That's written on the tank, how do i tell if it's pressuried system?

Is there a large pump before the cylinder somewhere? Possibly in hot press, attic or garage. There should also be a blue or white expansion vessel. Around the size of a large soccer ball

Is there a large pump before the cylinder somewhere? Possibly in hot press, attic or garage. There should also be a blue or white expansion vessel. Around the size of a large soccer ball

yep, pump is downstairs. The expansion vesswl is in the hotpress just above the tank. Sorry, should have shown that in the pics.

yep, pump is downstairs. The expansion vesswl is in the hotpress just above the tank. Sorry, should have shown that in the pics.

Well in my opinion that's your biggest problem. You should never have a solid fuel gravity coil linked into a pressurised cylinder

There are many issues.
    Firstly & most importantly you have an uncontrollable heat source going into a pressurised cylinder which is potentially dangerous enough to remove half your house.
    Secondly, you have a cylinder that is not suitable for solid fuel. You do not even have a gravity coil.
    Along with piping issues, I'm afraid the prognosis is not good. The patient is very sick & required surgery to remedy!
    The surgery will also be very expensive.

There are many issues.
    Firstly & most importantly you have an uncontrollable heat source going into a pressurised cylinder which is potentially dangerous enough to remove half your house.
    Secondly, you have a cylinder that is not suitable for solid fuel. You do not even have a gravity coil.
    Along with piping issues, I'm afraid the prognosis is not good. The patient is very sick & required surgery to remedy!

Balls, best get someone to have a look so. Cheers for that!

Also OP in case it's not obvious don't use your solid fuel until rectified.

There are many issues.

just going through your points there again shane, maybe im picking you up wrong, but is the tank considered pressurised even though it has a pressure release valve at the top of it and an expansion vessel. and there are F+E tanks in the attic? also, what's a gravity coil? Thanks for all, but just curious for my own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

just going through your points there again shane, maybe im picking you up wrong, but is the tank considered pressurised even though it has a pressure release valve at the top of it and an expansion vessel. and there are F+E tanks in the attic? also, what's a gravity coil? Thanks for all, but just curious for my own sake.

Probably a bit difficult to explain on a forum.
    You have a pump pumping pressure into the cylinder. Under pressure, boiling point is raised. At 1 bar BP is raised to 123C. 2 bar 144C, etc.
    If you uncontrollable heat source boils the cylinder, it will not turn to steam but is above 100C. Then you open a tap, reducing the pressure to atmosphere. 300 litres of water flashes to 300 x 1600 litres of steam & explodes the cylinder. All this because if the safety features of the cylinder fail or are not fitted correctly.
    You just cannot fit solid fuel to a pressurised cylinder.

Not even a system link!

A gravity coil is minimum 1" in diameter & the flow enters the cylinder higher than & continuously falling to the return connection of the cylinder.

You could fit a breaker cylinder & an additional pump if you had room. This would overcome all issues.

You could fit a breaker cylinder & an additional pump if you had room. This would overcome all issues.

Isn't that what this product is specifically for ? :

http://systemlink.ie/products-59/heat-genie.html

The "stove side" is unpressurised - the boiler side is pressurised

gctest50 wrote: »
    Isn't that what this product is specifically for ? :

http://systemlink.ie/products-59/heat-genie.html

The "stove side" is unpressurised - the boiler side is pressurised
    No. It's for solid fuel into a pressurised heating system, not a pressurised cylinder. The two are very different & must have very different safety parameters.

off-topic-ish but useful for anyone looking through this thread in the future

That'd be the expansion ....

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    off-topic-ish but useful for anyone looking through this thread in the future

That'd be the expansion ....

It's a great example but I would prefer if they done it with heat rather than pressure. That blew at 25 bar pressure. There would be nothing in a domestic situation that could get a cylinder to 25 bar pressure. If it blew from temperature & flash steam it would have been much more dramatic. It would also only require a pressure of only less than 1 bar pressure and all pressurised hot water systems would be at approx 2.5 - 3.5 bar pressure.

Advertisement