Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerry mountain lake brownie fishing

Options
  • 26-12-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm a fly angler living in county Kerry and i have fished most rivers and lakes in Kerry, but what i love to do is find secluded lakes where i can fish and camp for a week in the summer months,

my question is does anyone know any small secluded lakes in Kerry a nice hike from the car that are good for wild brownies that i may not of fished or camped before.

I would prefer to be PM'd with details if anyone has any ideas because im sure there are many like myself who don't want to broadcast great spots to the nation.:eek:

all replies will be gratefully recived.

thanks

dazza161989

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

This might give you an idea of whats out there. It has a great zoom feature.
    Www.osi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

The lakes on carantumhail are full of very small trout. Lough Acoose near Glencar is a bit better. The trout are to about 1LB. Gap of Dunloe and Black valley small also but plentiful! There are hidden lakes all over Ireland but sadly they rarely have bigger fish. Bit Acoose is nice. i notice a lot of private signs there though now. Years ago no one would bother you

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I must have hiked the gap 50 times and never thought about fishing it, are the little streams interconnecting the lakes on the gap any good?????

Thanks everyone for the replys so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Do a search on the forum. This has come up before. I do the same dazza, fish those quiet, unfished lakes in south kerry. Wont be telling anyone my secret spots tho ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

It's not kerry but near enough if you're in south kerry
    fill your boots
    some of these are full of surprises

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,486244,555788,4,0

• Advertisement

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Hi daz,,,

I run a small page called DinglePeninsulaFishing on Facebook here the link…

www.facebook.com/dinglepeninsulafishing

Your idea i have been doing for a long time now but i am yet to find the similar minded people to camp out and give it a right go…

The dingle peninsula is your spot for your camping session because of the landscape, nearly all the lochs are connected to the sea and hold not only brownies but salmon and sea trout…

Loch an dun i think would be a great spot because its not a massive hike to the lake and its a great spot for camping, also i know there is fine sized sea trout and salmon within the loch…

There is a number of places that it could be done and i am well up for it…

As with regards the privacy of places, i am an open book i'm afraid…. I have fished every river, lake and coastline around dingle peninsula and the reality is we need more people fishing not less… i very rarely never meet anyone fishing the places i fish and i would love to see people out to get feedback and reports of catches…

The majority of poaching goes on along the coastline and anybody with eyes and some knowledge can see it and you won't find poachers on the internet certainty not surfing boards i'm afraid…

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Hi daz,,,

www.facebook.com/dinglepeninsulafishing

Your idea i have been doing for a long time now but i am yet to find the similar minded people to camp out and give it a right go…

The dingle peninsula is your spot for your camping session because of the landscape, nearly all the lochs are connected to the sea and hold not only brownies but salmon and sea trout…

Loch an dun i think would be a great spot because its not a massive hike to the lake and its a great spot for camping, also i know there is fine sized sea trout and salmon within the loch…

As with regards the privacy of places, i am an open book i'm afraid…. I have fished every river, lake and coastline around dingle peninsula and the reality is we need more people fishing not less… i very rarely never meet anyone fishing the places i fish and i would love to see people out to get feedback and reports of catches…

The majority of poaching goes on along the coastline and anybody with eyes and some knowledge can see it and you won't find poachers on the internet certainty not surfing boards i'm afraid…

hi thanks for your reply, sounds good, i do a bit of salmon and sea trout fishing every year but i must admit its brown trout fishing i prefer.

As with regards to privacy its not poachers so much i worry about , its bunches of drunken idiots who havnt a clue finding these beautiful spots and destroying them with litter and beercans.......Unfortunately i have come across this scenario far too often for my liking.

hi thanks for your reply, sounds good, i do a bit of salmon and sea trout fishing every year but i must admit its brown trout fishing i prefer.

As with regards to privacy its not poachers so much i worry about , its bunches of drunken idiots who havnt a clue finding these beautiful spots and destroying them with litter and beercans.......Unfortunately i have come across this scenario far too often for my liking.

Ah i know, but these places idiots like that wouldn't go, there fair walks… some really beautiful lakes that where never fished before alone the dingle way.. what you think of heading out during the summer??

Ah i know, but these places idiots like that wouldn't go, there fair walks… some really beautiful lakes that where never fished before alone the dingle way.. what you think of heading out during the summer??

you wud be surprised, i found a bunch of them last summer at the devils punch bowl.........700 metres up a mountain!!!!!!

Ya i will definately head out again this summer, once the season starts i generrally do some form of angling at least five days a week ( my misdus is a saint).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Are the midges not a problem?

Auldloon wrote: »
    Are the midges not a problem?

i dont find them too irritating, although i wear midget spray.......it depends on location type, time of day, weather etc

I would highly recommend it.

They can be really bad on those high lakes. Drove me off adoon once but met man who owns some of the land and he showed me a plant that works well...no idea what it was and didn't take pic. If you fish it, there's a good chance you'll meet him or see him on the mountain. The lakes facing Tralee Bay fish best in a breeze anyway which always helps with the biters. I would bow to dan's knowledge of the area on best conditions and best lakes....i've only touched them. Great sea trout fishing on the right day but iw ould still favour the lakes above glengariff for surprisngly good brownie fishing....mebbe best in cork/kerry region tho Derriana produced some 5lb+ brownies last year. Also lovely place if ya have a tent with ya.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    They can be really bad on those high lakes. Drove me off adoon once but met man who owns some of the land and he showed me a plant that works well...no idea what it was and didn't take pic. If you fish it, there's a good chance you'll meet him or see him on the mountain. The lakes facing Tralee Bay fish best in a breeze anyway which always helps with the biters. I would bow to dan's knowledge of the area on best conditions and best lakes....i've only touched them. Great sea trout fishing on the right day but iw ould still favour the lakes above glengariff for surprisngly good brownie fishing....mebbe best in cork/kerry region tho Derriana produced some 5lb+ brownies last year. Also lovely place if ya have a tent with ya.

are those 5lb brownies wild?? If so that is huge...... Where is derriana???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

are those 5lb brownies wild?? If so that is huge...... Where is derriana???

Its the top lake on the currane system.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Its the top lake on the currane system.

Ah yes i know the lake, i wasnt aware that was the name.

Have you heard of 5lb brownies being caught there???

Lads nobody bow to my knowledge please… 5 lb brownies you might get in the currane system but i don't think on the dingle peninsula… The midges would drive you insane but some repellent and a midge head net does the job, i do honestly think the dingle peninsula is a mecca for fishing.. brown trout, sea trout, salmon, bass all at your doorstep…

Lads nobody bow to my knowledge please… 5 lb brownies you might get in the currane system but i don't think on the dingle peninsula… The midges would drive you insane but some repellent and a midge head net does the job, i do honestly think the dingle peninsula is a mecca for fishing.. brown trout, sea trout, salmon, bass all at your doorstep…

Dingle peninsula is quite good in fairness. Personally so far i have found the Killarney area lakes/ laune best for brown trout..........feale best for sea trout.........dingle peninsula for salmon.........pretty much our whole coastline for sea bass.

What do you think?

Dingle peninsula is quite good in fairness. Personally so far i have found the Killarney area lakes/ laune best for brown trout..........feale best for sea trout.........dingle peninsula for salmon.........pretty much our whole coastline for sea bass.

What do you think?

where do you catch salmon on the dingle peninsula?

Ya your right the whole coast full of bass…

where do you catch salmon on the dingle peninsula?

Ya your right the whole coast full of bass…

Ya we are very lucky to have such a wide variety of angling options available to us. I dont do much shore angling or bass fishing anymore, my uncle and my dad are more into that side of angling, but there are so many great spots for bassing especially with lures.

• Advertisement

Lads are doin very well on the back lakes on the currane system early in the year.....you'll have to ask locally how they're doin it.....wouldn't be fair to broadcast. All fly fishin tho. I'm told the lakes on the southern shore of the kenmare river are woirth tryin but never got around to it. The more ya think about it, there's an awful lot of lakes in kerry!!!

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Lads are doin very well on the back lakes on the currane system early in the year.....you'll have to ask locally how they're doin it.....wouldn't be fair to broadcast. All fly fishin tho. I'm told the lakes on the southern shore of the kenmare river are woirth tryin but never got around to it. The more ya think about it, there's an awful lot of lakes in kerry!!!

That's for sure and there's lakes that NOBODY fish... There is lakes on the dingle peninsula that have never seen a rod... Crazy stuff!

That's for sure and there's lakes that NOBODY fish... There is lakes on the dingle peninsula that have never seen a rod... Crazy stuff!

I would believe it!! You would not realise just how many lakes are dotted around kerry until you study the osi maps

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

Lads, sorry to hijack the thread.....But

Must be some pike in these loughs with all the trout?!?! Surely?

Specifically Acoose? Any knowledge of bait fish at all? Perch? Roach? Rudd? BReam? Or is the water too salty?

Any help much appreciated, might be over that way in February.

Thanks,

Cont.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Specifically Acoose? Any knowledge of bait fish at all? Perch? Roach? Rudd? BReam? Or is the water too salty?

Thanks,

Cont.

No, like much of the western seaboard the geology (granite and sandstone mainly) means the water chemistry is quite acidic and not suitable for pike and coarse fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

Ok Many thanks Zippy,

I read about Arctic Char in Acoose? I also read they are pretty much on the protected species, so if I land one it will be a super quick pic and release.

Also read there's a good head of wild brownies in Acoose? I'd be more than happy to do 4-5 hours fishing and land 10-15 wild brownies - 4OZ and up, again babies like that only catch and release.....Only question though - in the local area - where would i find the parents and grandparents? =)

thanks in advance,

cont.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FlyBoy1234

Hi daz,,,

This attracts poachers doesnt it? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Thanks,

Cont.

in addition to zipplex post there are some course fish in the killarney lakes going by the surveys done and tench/perch pike / rudd / bream roach eels.
    i read a few fishery stock reports with detailed PDFs being freely available for a lot of lakes in the region.

Advertisement