Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some hardy bedding for 'outdoor' dog

• 26-12-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

This is for the in-laws dog as per my previous posts about him.

My husband has made him a great bed within his shed out of pallets, carpeting and plywood and he's up off the concrete floor which they just used to put straw on (sometimes!) on a pallet, I'm currently using 2 single duvets that I have on top of the pallet, then some plastic/waterproof type covering then loads of straw, the only thing is the duvets aren't great because I've had to cut them in half to fit them in the washing machine and sewn them up very roughly (not great at that sort of thing) and in the mornings sometimes the covering would be off, the duvets on the floor etc etc, he's obviously a busy sleeper!! So I need something to put between the pallet and the straw that's really soft with a waterproof covering, would anyone be able to recommend something?

Thanks
    TP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

a sleeping bag - one of the super duper waterproof down to minus 40degrees type - you can get them cheaply nowadays (the kids use them for sleepovers) - or you might get one on adverts/donedeal/jumbletown/gumtree for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Hi, what about putting an edge on the pallets, like one slat of timber high. That should keep the bedding in the bed?
    Or if that can't be done maybe one of those picnic blankets that have the silver backing on one side and fabric on the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Jazbee wrote: »
    Hi, what about putting an edge on the pallets, like one slat of timber high. That should keep the bedding in the bed?
    Or if that can't be done maybe one of those picnic blankets that have the silver backing on one side and fabric on the other?

Good idea re the pallet I will get himself to do that first thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think making a low rim around the bed with planks is a great idea to keep his bedding in - he'll feel more protected and relaxed as well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sleeping bags cut in half are great as they are handy for washing and dry easily - maybe someone with a sewing machine would run the edges up to stop fraying. Old fleece baby blankets are good too - I picked up a couple in local charity shop. My dog's bed would be smelly as he is old and lives indoors so I have to change it often. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

cow mat
    easy cleaned
    warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

go into heatons if theres one close they have dog beds 1mx0.5m for 10e,handy for the washing machine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

A relation of mine has a gun dog kept in similar conditions,except he has a big run attached to his shed. I made him a bed from timber raised up off the ground,then put concrete blocks 4 high all around it to keep out the draught & keep his bedding in.
    I put a cow mat on the bottom then filled it up with straw.dog was so happy,he buried himself in the straw & wasnt seen for the rest of the day.

Advertisement