Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling Solo in 2014

• 26-12-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am hope I am in the right forum, if not you can move me. I graduated in 2010 and pursued a qualification in acc which I will get next year. Because of commitments to work/study etc, i never got the chance to go travelling. I do not think I want to work in a different country, I would more like to go backbacking and see the actual world etc. I suppose I was hoping some one could advise me the best place to check regarding where to look for flights etc on a budget. Additionally since I am going on my own, I would not mind meeting like minded people on my travels because i think I am scared to go on my own but time is ticking for me so I would prefer to go when i am young and when i have no commitments etc. If there is a forum to meet up with like minded people on travels too that would be of great help.

Thank you.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockthecazba

Hey- pretty similar situation myself. Finished my ACA in November this year and since most of my friends have gone travelling by now i'm thinking of heading off solo. I'm a female so bit worried about doing it solo so if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts re safety/dangers of travelling solo for a woman i'd love to hear. I'm thinking of getting a RTW ticket but mainly Asia/Oz/NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Hey. Yeah im de same. Female as well and scared to go myself but tink i need to grow a pair and get movin cos want to go now wen im young and no commitments. My contract is up in apr and like u all my close friends r long gone. Im tinkin imite get rwt too. So if anyone got advice for us here that would be a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Just go by yourself, you will meet loads of like minded people along the way doing the same thing your doing. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

Go, go, go all of you.

Trailfinders/USIT have good round the world packages e.g. South America, then NZ&OZ, South East Asia for about 1600.

Hostelworld is a great site for booking places to stay - all very social, dorms make it impossible not to meet people. Sure, there'll be some crap days and something might go wrong on your own but the highs far outweigh the lows.

Buy a few guidebooks and look at sample plans/tours, figure out what you want to see, what is worth seeing.

I'm back four years already from my big solo trip and I'm so glad I did it, the chance will never come up again and it was the best decision I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Booser

Lots of people in the same boat here it seems! Im heading off in May myself. I will have friends for the first month or so but Im on my own after they fly home. Scary but very exciting at the same time.

Id echo the sentiments for hostelbookers, you can get great rates. Hostelworld and price comparisons like trivago and hotelscombined are good too and will also give you hostels.

I think personally continental packages like those offered by trailfinders might be better value then a full RTW ticket. Usually I can find cheaper fares by pricing independantly through tripadvisor or skyscanner.

Anyway best of luck. I hope we all find what we're looking for!

• Advertisement

Yeah I think its that initial fear of booking it solo and also the parents reaction! Most likely will be doing the road well traveled in terms of Asia. Do you think its safe for a girl alone. Have only done Thailand as part of a big group but found it very safe but more worried about trains/buses taxi's solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭comfortseeker

Plus one :) I too really want to go travelling! I am 23 but just feel it's the right time I need some excitement in my life and get out there more. I feel I am like a robot with work and just need a new lease of life! Where are you all planning on going and when? :)

Plus one :) I too really want to go travelling! I am 23 but just feel it's the right time I need some excitement in my life and get out there more. I feel I am like a robot with work and just need a new lease of life! Where are you all planning on going and when? :)

Looks like were all on this new year, new start buzz! Determined to follow through on it. I'm thinking April, Oz, NZ, then Vietnam China, Japan. Was thinking I'd like to do volunteer work for a couple of weeks but would need to do alot of research first on that one. I'd know a few people in oz/ nz so not so worried about that leg of it, but asia would be a challenge. I'd imagine hostels will have cool people though and there's always group daytrips for during the day.
    Itchy feet for a long time, keep telling myself worse case scenario is not liking it and a pricey flight home but at least will have tried I guess.

Very true at least you will have lived and learned! I really really want to go to dubai but I'll admit I'm kind of scared going solo I have heard so many stories but it looks Amazing! People say you meet others along the way and make friends but is it really as easy as they say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 highflyer1

Hi, I'm in the same boat! I'm 25 years old. Taking unpaid leave in Feburary for couple of months and would love to go away for few weeks. Have been thinking of Thailand but not set on anywhere for definite. Be great to organise a group to go away! If anyone's interested let me know. : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, it is as easy as they say. I've travelled solo quite a lot, either on my way to see friends abroad or because I wanted to go see something no-one else wanted to see.
    Not only will people be more inclined to talk to you, but you will also be more inclined to talk to others.
    Stay in hostels and you'll soon find other solo travellers or groups that might suggest cool stuff to do together.

Mind yourself though, I've been tricked by conmen a couple times (never robbed). There are many poor people that will want to take advantage of a single white traveller so keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I am in the same boat except i qualified as an accountant years ago. Looking to get out of the rat race for a while. What are your itineries/ plans and budgets and have you found any good sites or resources?
    I am thinking off heading to thailand in may. Maybe get a tefl or celta course done. Tour around a bit and then move on see vietnam/cambodia and try get a tefl job for a semester or maybe some voluntary work. After that see how i feel, maybe argentina or nz. Will be travelling solo. Started travelling solo in 2013 and its the best way to travel , do what you like when you like.

My rough itinerary so far is NYC for a few days and on to SanFransico. Then flying to Cairns to do the east coast, fly from Melbourne to New Zealand, up to Singapore. Want to do some volunteer work in either Chaing Mai in Thailand or Vietnam. Then looking at a group tour from Hong Kong to Beijing, over to Tokyo and home.

Planning taking around five months total, not sure if i'm trying to see too much or not enough at the moment. Roughly a week in US, month Oz, month Nz, 6 weeks in South East asia, 4 weeks china and 3 weeks Japan.

Pretty nervous of it in terms of the Asia leg but am doing it now if it kills me or not (hopefully not).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ezarah

Eeeek I'm the same too! Just posted about this in a different section! Scared to go on my own but don't want to regret not going !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

Pretty nervous of it in terms of the Asia leg but am doing it now if it kills me or not (hopefully not).

Cool itinerary, you'll have travelled solo so much by the time you get to south east asia that you'll be a pro at it, if you stay in hostels along the way I guarentee you'll pick up loads of great tips from other backpackers.

Im very jealous, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My rough itinerary so far is NYC for a few days and on to SanFransico. Then flying to Cairns to do the east coast, fly from Melbourne to New Zealand, up to Singapore. Want to do some volunteer work in either Chaing Mai in Thailand or Vietnam. Then looking at a group tour from Hong Kong to Beijing, over to Tokyo and home.

Planning taking around five months total, not sure if i'm trying to see too much or not enough at the moment. Roughly a week in US, month Oz, month Nz, 6 weeks in South East asia, 4 weeks china and 3 weeks Japan.

Did a similar route to yourself in reverse. Don't be nervous about south east Asia at all, it's probably the easiest place to travel by yourself in. It's fairly safe once you're smart enough about how you travel, its ridiculously easy to meet people, and after spending so long probably staying in dorms you'll be glad of the hotel prices when you want to spend a few days on your own. I loved Japan but found it a little hard as a solo traveller as there's not much of a backpacker scene there. Even a lot of the people I met in hostels were a bit more standoffish as there just wasn't that same vibe, however I did have a couple of good nights with people I met. It's a great country to visit though, but I spent a lot of time sight seeing by myself. Two weeks would probably have been enough for me, the third week I spent there dragged a little. Also it's not as expensive as its reputation suggests, Australia will be the country that will clean you out.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that south east asia is easy to meet people. Was starting to think Japan would be a bit more difficult from what I seen online. Might look into doing a group tour for there if that's the case. Since it's my last stop I might be happy to be completely alone though so guess its a case of see what happens.

How long did you travel for total? I don't want to try to see too much in not enough time but hard to tell from looking at a map how long it will take. Finishing up in my job so don't have a particular amount of time to get it all done by- provided money doesn't run out that is!

Booser wrote: »
    Lots of people in the same boat here it seems! Im heading off in May myself. I will have friends for the first month or so but Im on my own after they fly home. Scary but very exciting at the same time.

Id echo the sentiments for hostelbookers, you can get great rates. Hostelworld and price comparisons like trivago and hotelscombined are good too and will also give you hostels.

I think personally continental packages like those offered by trailfinders might be better value then a full RTW ticket. Usually I can find cheaper fares by pricing independantly through tripadvisor or skyscanner.

Anyway best of luck. I hope we all find what we're looking for!

Have to echo about the flights- the original route I was looking at was 4.5k-5k for flights. Have split it out now and am buying individual tickets using skyscanner. So any of you guys looking at RTW do a quick comparative- the asia flights are crazy cheap. I have one from Bali to Bangkok for 40quid with a low fares airline.

I am in the same boat except i qualified as an accountant years ago. Looking to get out of the rat race for a while. What are your itineries/ plans and budgets and have you found any good sites or resources?
    I am thinking off heading to thailand in may. Maybe get a tefl or celta course done. Tour around a bit and then move on see vietnam/cambodia and try get a tefl job for a semester or maybe some voluntary work. After that see how i feel, maybe argentina or nz. Will be travelling solo. Started travelling solo in 2013 and its the best way to travel , do what you like when you like.

I'm looking at volunteer work in Vietnam or Chiang Mai in Thailand myself- I think us solo boardsie are going to cross paths somehow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that south east asia is easy to meet people. Was starting to think Japan would be a bit more difficult from what I seen online. Might look into doing a group tour for there if that's the case. Since it's my last stop I might be happy to be completely alone though so guess its a case of see what happens.

How long did you travel for total? I don't want to try to see too much in not enough time but hard to tell from looking at a map how long it will take. Finishing up in my job so don't have a particular amount of time to get it all done by- provided money doesn't run out that is!

I did about 4 and a half months in total. 3.5 weeks in Thailand, 3.5 Vietnam, 1 week in Cambodia, 3 weeks Japan, 3 nights Hong Kong, 3 weeks Australia, 1 month in new Zealand.

If i were to do it again with the same overall time frame I'd definitely spend one week less in japan and one more in Cambodia or some other area in south east Asia. I could easily have spent another month or two there, I never got to Indonesia, Malaysia or Laos. I loved Australia too and had to skip a fair bit but it was just too expensive to stay in for much longer than I did.

That sounds like an amazing plan fair play I hope it all goes well for you! New York is amazing I was there in november would give anything to go back!

Ezarah wrote: »
    Eeeek I'm the same too! Just posted about this in a different section! Scared to go on my own but don't want to regret not going !!

i seen your post Ezarah, what are your plans for travelling where do you plan on going first? Message me if you like I am 23 yo female in the same boat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Drum08

i seen your post Ezarah, what are your plans for travelling where do you plan on going first? Message me if you like I am 23 yo female in the same boat :D

I am so glad to see this forum topic... 23 yr old female also. Want to go travelling this year more than ever. But have absolutely no idea where to start. Would love to volunteer in Thailand for a while and then maybe go to Dubai followed by Oz. What plans have ye made?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I'm heading away solo for the first time in a long time... 10 days in Bangkok and Koh Samui and then 6 nights in Sydney, probably nowhere enough but I suppose it's all about the experience!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

Question for everybody: How much money are you taking with you to sustain yourself for 5 months abroad?
    And how much were the flights? (if you've booked them already).

Basically what is the total cost of your RTW trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Question for everybody: How much money are you taking with you to sustain yourself for 5 months abroad?
    And how much were the flights? (if you've booked them already).

Basically what is the total cost of your RTW trip?

Yeah Im de same, love to know how much cash you need? My friends are going to Thailand for six weeks which I think is too long just for Thailand, is it possible to fit camodia & perhaps vietnam in too if anyone already been there? Thanks guys:)

Honestly I'm ignoring the budget part of the trip at the moment as haven't really finalised the trip and the number of group trips. Hoping to do it for 10k (ex flights) but I think that's quite ambitious with the price of oz/nz

Advertisement