Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs open on St Stephens Day.

Options
  • 26-12-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

A few of us are planning a night out in town tonight and there is lively debate on whether or not the majority of pubs are actually open tonight.

Can anybody throw a bit of light on the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

It's quiet possibly one of the busiest nights of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

Probably second biggest drinking day in Ireland

Some pubs may even have a cover charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, however a manager of one of the bigger pubs in town(who are open tonight) was telling me that not all places will be open and those that will open will do so at 18:00ish.

I see from the Galway advertiser that Monroes at least will not be open tonight.

Incidentally the same debate regarding Dublin watering holes is going on in the AH's forum, which much the same confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well last year my Daughter went out and they were not all open and those that were did not have many inside, still think most people stay at home for a beer, and given the Red Alert for Galway tonight for a major storm it could be very quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not all will be open. Even some open other years. The bad weather forecast meant potential business was expected to be down. Some will be for sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tig Coilis said on Facebook that they will be open at 6pm. Haven't seen about others.

We're venturing out for a walk in a little while, will report back (unless we get kidnapped by a rogue pub!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Everywhere will be open. Considering going out, but the weather by midnight is going to be extremely stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

MadYaker wrote: »
    Everywhere will be open. Considering going out, but the weather by midnight is going to be extremely stormy.

Definitely not everywhere. But sure you only need one or two to get tipsy!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A lot stay closed. It's a Galway tradition like the early closing on Christmas Eve. local places will start opening from six or seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

(unless we get kidnapped by a rogue pub!)

*prepares mask and ropes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

taafees closed
    monroes open
    donnellys barna closed
    kellys, kings head, cellar usually closed every year

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

taafees closed
    monroes open
    donnellys barna closed
    kellys, kings head, cellar usually closed every year

Kings head is open for sure. The misinformation continues :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Buskers has been open all day so that shall be open tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A lot stay closed. It's a Galway tradition like the early closing on Christmas Eve. local places will start opening from six or seven.

Ahh, yeah, closed unless you know where to look! :D

An update, taken between 5 and 6pm:

Dail - appeared closed.
    Neachtains - closed (but it was 5pm when we went past, they could open later)
    Kings Head - open
    Woodquay - all open (except I didn't check McSwiggans, too hard to see while driving)
    Lower Dominic St - all open except the Galway Arms. Yes , that includes Monroes open.
    Townhouse - closed
    Lower Salthill (PJs, Cottage, Wards) - open
    Upper Salthill - I was too busy watching for rogue cars to observe pubs, but based on the parking the area is mad-busy so probably open.

Ye won't die of thirst tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I might get blown away though. That's the only thing stopping me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Glad I stayed in.... Sounds horrific out there :(
    More turkey and more red wine tonight I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Town was fairly quiet tonight... Guess with the weekend, nye amd the storms....

Advertisement