Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Item I bought from Argos 6 Months ago broke

Options
  • 26-12-2013 5:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So I bought a Canon Full HD Camcorder and now it's broke as in it won't charge or turn on etc...

It is excluded from the 30 day money back but can I take back to the shop and get my money back since it has 12 months warranty?

I don't want the same make anymore because it kept causing problems even before it broke down on me last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

fontdor wrote: »
    So I bought a Canon Full HD Camcorder and now it's broke as in it won't charge or turn on etc...

It is excluded from the 30 day money back but can I take back to the shop and get my money back since it has 12 months warranty?

I don't want the same make anymore because it kept causing problems even before it broke down on me last night.

i think argos will tell you to contact cannon repair centre in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Argos can insist on a repair. It could also be replaced with the same model. You don't get to demand a refund or replacement with a different model. If it was constantly giving problems your should have gone back before now. As far as Argos or Canon are concerned this is the first problem you have had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Never mind 12 month warranty, this appears to be a case covered by your consumer rights. If the item is broken in this early stage of its life, through no fault of your own, then you can invoke consumer rights.

Argos can propose a refund, replacement or repair. The solution should be mutually agreeable to both parties. In this case, Argos could reasonably seek a repair.

Start by taking it in to Argos and politely explaining what has happened. Try to bring back the original box and don't forget proof of purchase. See how you get on. Argos generally have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Speaking from experience they'll send it away for repair.They don't immediately replace as they need to ensure its a fault with the camera and not something the user did.
    You may get lucky in that if it's not repairable and not the users fault you get to choose a different one but depends on the fault.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Argos can insist on a repair. It could also be replaced with the same model. You don't get to demand a refund or replacement with a different model. If it was constantly giving problems your should have gone back before now. As far as Argos or Canon are concerned this is the first problem you have had with it.

I think, since the 2003 amendment, you do have a strong position to demand a replacement if that's what you want.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0011.html
    (3) In the first place, the consumer may require the seller to repair the goods or to replace them (in either case free of charge) unless this is impossible or disproportionate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I think, since the 2003 amendment, you do have a strong position to demand a replacement if that's what you want.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0011.html

That's not an amendment but the SI brought in to give effect to the the EU directive many mis-cite in relation to two year warranties. The repair or replacement is contingent upon it being proportionate. That can lead, inter alia, to two scenarios:

1) The item is unique in some way for example it's number 100 of a limited run and I like the number 100 so I require a repair. The repair will cost €1000 and the item is worth €200, this is disproportionate if the item can be replaced with one of similar specification, but perhaps number 322.

2) The item won't turn on and a small part has failed such as a loose connection, the item can be repaired without significant inconvenience to the customer as the 2003 regs require - in this instance a repair is proportionate.

Advertisement