Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird id

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

There's a thread going Here about the best field guide to buy. For a beginner I'd recommend one of the Irish books, like the one Vandriver mentioned - available on the Birdwatch Ireland website too.

For a more advanced and comprehensive one I'd recommend the Collins Bird Guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

This guy was in a tree on the banks of the Liffey-

BE1F9491ADAF4FA8BF9766FCBFA34CE2-0000337703-0003539324-00800L-462196AF973A4E4AA5AA31A204693FF9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Not a guy but a gal....female Chaffinch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Girl, that's a female Chaffinch.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Girl, that's a female Chaffinch.

Thanks! .....and while I have you there:):)

B5C382D7691A491DB9A94C05F950C130-0000337703-0003539333-00800L-F15E1498DE4A4EF9A0685F2ACA676011.jpg

A second female Chaffinch. The drabbest of the drab!

One last one from this morning (and yes I am buying the fieldbook)

01BF177F777D4EA094FB998A97977790-0000337703-0003539336-00800L-EBB8F6CABF6B45F5A3DDFE6F88F87AD6.jpg

Looks like a male Blackcap. Females look the same but with a brown 'cap' instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Looks like a male Blackcap. Females look the same but with a brown 'cap' instead.

And another lovely songbird too is the blackcap , listen out for the rich warble ! A true birdsong of summer !

And another lovely songbird too is the blackcap , listen out for the rich warble ! A true birdsong of summer !

He was singing away to his heart's content today:)

• Advertisement

This guy was descending at some speed- a good distance away so poor quality shot- but would I be right in thinking it's more like a sparrowhawk than a buzzard?

172D407E67504CDE885C97694D375320-0000337703-0003540732-01200L-8D50CAA44CAA40FEAC913679380F1E13.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Yep, Sparrowhawk!

another notch on my belt:)

It definitely had a prey in sight - but after I took that shot s/he disappeared behind trees

Thanks again OpenYourEyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Keps are you living in a treehouse or something:D

Quality is terrible I know, but is this my Raven back again?

Looks like you can see the feathers coming down over the top part of the bill.

7S5D4177.jpg

Looks like it Whyulittle!

Nice one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sorry for the poor image quality - dunlin? i think the legs are red, which made me think redshank possibly. taken in west connemara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Legs too long forDunlin... I would think you're correct with Redshank..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - was a good weekend for us with birdwatching, 40 or so species identified. we're rank amateurs though.

Phonescoped this distant wader this afternoon on local lakeshore among small group of curlew . Looks different, smaller, darker plumage, different head pattern - possibly a whimbrel ? Any ideas ??
    There were 2 of them at the waters edge. Sorry about quality of pics but taken from some distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Whimbrel for me. The dark crown on the head is a good id feature of a Whimbrel like this one in the pic

stevensi wrote: »
    Whimbrel for me. The dark crown on the head is a good id feature of a Whimbrel like this one in the pic

Thank for that stevensi - had migrating whimbrel at this site a few years ago so seems like it's a regular stop off point in their migration route !

While out at the lakeside woodland this morning, I flushed a bird out of the grass verge beside me. It flew across my path and perched in a tree on the other side of the track. It was still only getting bright, but seeing it briefly through the bins it looked like a small Redshank, in that it was very upright with long legs. Body size looked slightly bigger than a Blackbird. It had a very rapid wing beat, making a real thuddering noise as it flew. I only saw it for a few seconds before a second bird flushed out and they both flew off behind the trees.

Later while standing on the lake shore with the woodland right at my back, 2 birds went out over the water. I'm not sure if they came out of the trees or just over them. They flew out over the water to a tree covered island a few hundred metres out in the lake. They looked Snipe like, but weren't ziggzagging and showed a white rump in flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

While out at the lakeside woodland this morning, I flushed a bird out of the grass verge beside me. It flew across my path and perched in a tree on the other side of the track. It was still only getting bright, but seeing it briefly through the bins it looked like a small Redshank, in that it was very upright with long legs. Body size looked slightly bigger than a Blackbird. It had a very rapid wing beat, making a real thuddering noise as it flew. I only saw it for a few seconds before a second bird flushed out and they both flew off behind the trees.

Later while standing on the lake shore with the woodland right at my back, 2 birds went out over the water. I'm not sure if they came out of the trees or just over them. They flew out over the water to a tree covered island a few hundred metres out in the lake. They looked Snipe like, but weren't ziggzagging and showed a white rump in flight.

Sounds like Common Sandpipers

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sounds like Common Sandpipers

Agree ! Beautiful little birds and back on lake shores now ! Characteristic "bobbing" motion when on shore and low flight over water with kind of stiff arched shallow wingbeats. Haven't spotted them here so far this year, but as you mention Redshank, have had them displaying on my patch in recent mornings - fence post sitting & calling as well !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Redshank, have had them displaying on my patch in recent mornings - fence post sitting & calling as well !

Good stuff - very scarce breeders now, What part of the country you in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Can someone id this little guy? Quite a playful fellow, and very much liked to look at himself in car mirrors. Picture isn't the best. Lovely bright yellow colours and he stands out a mile. I spent ages looking at him.

imagejpg1.jpg

It's a Grey Wagtail - is there a river or stream nearby?

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Good stuff - very scarce breeders now, What part of the country you in??

North midlands here, Longford /Cavan border - there may be a few pair of redshanks still breeding around the lakeshore - they have been hanging on here despite the decrease in breeding population - had fledglings on the patch a few years ago during Atlas survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

It's a Grey Wagtail - is there a river or stream nearby?

It was at the river where I saw him. Thanks openyoureyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

http://instagram.com/p/nTN--hFpGW/

Buzzard? Someone told me jackdaw, but I hope not?

gzoladz wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4UuV_0jzxqxUDJkU0s1YTFRYWs/preview

For some reason I'm not allowed access to the google doc link - is it password protected or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gzoladz wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4UuV_0jzxqxUDJkU0s1YTFRYWs/preview

Maybe it's my system but I can't access the picture.:(

For some reason I'm not allowed access to the google doc link - is it password protected or something ?

Let me check, for some reason I alway suffer to uploads photos on boards.

Try now, I have changed the link.

You're correct, it's a Buzzard and not a Jackdaw.

Seeing as it's you, we'll call it a buzzard! :)

I know they are quite widespread, but this is the first raptor I see in the wild. I was happy as a child earlier today when I saw it and took the pictures :-D

I am sooo happy now. I was sure it was, was hoping it was not a jackdaw just because I have seen them before.

I heard and saw a bird at Boora tonight between 10 & 10:30.

It was a wader, looked heavier than a Redshank, with a short to medium length straight bill and slow wing beat.

However, the call it gave was incredibly low pitch, and pretty low in volume too. It was more like a croak.

I was walking along the edge of some woodland, but there was a small wetland not too far away as well.

Any ideas? RSPB site gives Ruff as the only similar bird to Redshank, but it has no audio file. Xeno-Canto ones are pretty poor quality too.

• Advertisement

Could be Ruff - this is the BirdGuides App description of Ruff calls - the soundbite isn't great - a few short grunt like noises !

"Typically silent, even during lekking displays, though may utter a few generally rather muted sounds in particular situations. Most calls probably variants of one basic sound, a repeated short, soft, groaning sound ‘gue-gue-gue’ or ‘kuk-uk-uk’, with less than 1 s between units."

Any sign of the partridges there these days? Planning a daytrip to Boora shortly ! Will keep an eye on areas you previously mentioned for them there !

All I'd say regarding the possibility of it being a Ruff is that Summer sightings of Ruff in Ireland are extremely rare!

All I'd say regarding the possibility of it being a Ruff is that Summer sightings of Ruff in Ireland are extremely rare!

Any thoughts of what it might be Jonathan Wailing Pedestal?

I'm very much open to suggestions!

I did look at Irish Birding and the BWI site after posting my original post and saw the dates it's likely to be seen alright.
    Any sign of the partridges there these days? Planning a daytrip to Boora shortly ! Will keep an eye on areas you previously mentioned for them there !

Yep, I saw one as I was heading back to the car, and then driving about after seeing the mystery bird, I heard 3 calling in the fields at about 10:45. I have some video of it but it's very low.

hmmmm, a Ruff reported at Booterstown today on Irish Birding, and 9 Partridge at Boora!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I'm very much open to suggestions!

I did look at Irish Birding and the BWI site after posting my original post and saw the dates it's likely to be seen alright.

Yep, I saw one as I was heading back to the car, and then driving about after seeing the mystery bird, I heard 3 calling in the fields at about 10:45. I have some video of it but it's very low.

Could it have been the redspotted redshank or the greenshank?

Their calls are in this video

A sandpiper of some sort perhaps?

Could it have been the redspotted redshank or the greenshank?

Their calls are in this video

Going on that video, no; they're all too high-pitched.
    A sandpiper of some sort perhaps?

Wouldn't be familiar with them all, but going by Common Sandpiper I would have thought they'd be too small.

No big deal, I just thought the weird call might have given it away.

The only other thing I forgot to mention was the angle of the bird during it's slow moving flight.

BirdShape.gif

(Pic may not be to scale!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Common sandpiper do have a slow wing beat in flight. Ruff have a fast wing beat.

• Advertisement

I think I'll just go back to ignoring the waders, ducks and gulls. :)

Advertisement