Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird id

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

whyulittle wrote: »
    I think I'll just go back to ignoring the waders, ducks and gulls. :)[/QUOTE
    I see there was a Ruff in summer plumage recorded at Booterstown marsh, Dublin yesterday ( on Irishbirding.com) ! So you never know ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, but a ruff in summer plumage is fairly unmistakeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I think I'll just go back to ignoring the waders, ducks and gulls. :)

yeah well, i never get excited over ducks and gulls:pac:

they're right up there with crows and magpies when it comes to getting enthusiastic about something fluttering catching the corner of my eye.

at least the crows contribute something to the cause with their "raptor right here" mobbing service:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

emo72 wrote: »
    yeah well, i never get excited over ducks and gulls:pac:

they're right up there with crows and magpies when it comes to getting enthusiastic about something fluttering catching the corner of my eye.

at least the crows contribute something to the cause with their "raptor right here" mobbing service:D
    Maggie's are also very good with their " hey you with the gun, there's a fox right here" cackling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

(Pic may not be to scale!)

Based on the drawing and the calls, I would think that the bird is a Woodcock. Besides the loud "psip" call they make during the roding flight, they also have some low-pitched calls {"wrt" etc]. Ruff is a rather gangly bird with shortish looking beak in flight. Woodcock also typically holds the beak down at an angle as you describe.

The Ruff has been present around Booterstown for the last week and is in full summer plumage - well worth a look as there are not too many opportunties to see birds with this plumage in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

V_Moth wrote: »
    Based on the drawing and the calls, I would think that the bird is a Woodcock. Besides the loud "psip" call they make during the roding flight, they also have some low-pitched calls {"wrt" etc]. Ruff is a rather gangly bird with shortish looking beak in flight. Woodcock also typically holds the beak down at an angle as you describe.

The Ruff has been present around Booterstown for the last week and is in full summer plumage - well worth a look as there are not too many opportunties to see birds with this plumage in Ireland!
    I too would have thought woodcock except OP said the beak was short to medium and I would always consider it noticeably long.

One of those "we'll never really know" birds I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I think Woodcock is probably the likely answer - it's the only one that sounds like what I heard.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Woodcock mostly nocturnal as well so the time would fit in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

should know- I know

689F3CA6FE0E49BB8BE1D4361745E478-0000337703-0003587181-00800L-6F6855B4E4344D11AA0998A0DDE1E449.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Juvemile Dunnock I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Pretty sure this is a mallard but couldn't see a blue speculum and she was a much lighter colour than the other female mallards further down stream.

She had 10 fair sized chicks with her (see background)

14491028485_76ce90cca5_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Sorry I have no pictures of a bird I am trying to identify but here goes... This fella is about the size of a chaffinch. His flight pattern is unusual. He takes of and almost hovers singing all the time. Then he swoops down almost dive bombing while his singing gets faster and faster as he dives. Great to watch him! Dont remember seeing him much before this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Goes up high? Sounds like a Skylark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The hovering while singing leads me to believe that it's a skylark alright.

Just had a look at a video of a skylark and I dont think he is one. He has a 2 "tone" song that gets faster and faster as he dives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Could be a meadow pipit. They will go up and hover and come down in what is basically a parachute type flight all the while in song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

stevensi wrote: »
    Could be a meadow pipit. They will go up and hover and come down in what is basically a parachute type flight all the while in song

I'd agree that it's most likely a Meadow Pipit.I see them do that peculiar dive-bombing while singing all the time here in the Curragh.I used to think what I was looking at was Skylarks,which are also here in abundance,but realised soon enough that they were indeed Meadow Pipits.

stevensi wrote: »
    Thats the fella alright! Amazing little bird. Great energy.

forgive me - but what are the 2 birds with the pigeon here?
    Thrush?

E5EE3BC368B643729FDB32662F31628E-0000337703-0003602407-00800L-9ED09D576A0648D490A5066FF8D5908C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Thrush

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

mistle thrush

You guys are fast!:)

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

His dealers :)

His dealers :)