Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet Ratio Question.

Options
  • 26-12-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All,

According to the experts you need 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight. In my case that would be 203lbs x 1.5 = 304.5g of protein.

I got my bodyfat test done and the out from that also gave me my BMR at 2260 kcal.

My aim is too gain muscle. So +500kcals which gives a total of 2760kcals per day.

Again according to the experts my food ratios should be;

45%(carbs) : 35%(protein) : 20%(protein).

Therefore I should be eating:
    Roughly:
    1608kcal of carbs
    1251kcal of protein
    715kcal of fats in order to hit my 304.5g of protein and stay within the 45:35:20 ratio.Therefore the total calorie take in is 3575 which is quite a lot.

What are your thoughts? Should I just stay with the protein as the main objective to achieve and ensure I get 300g a day and a total of 2760kcal per day?

Thank you.

*Please note calculations were done quickly!*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hi All,

According to the experts you need 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight. In my case that would be 203lbs x 1.5 = 304.5g of protein.

What experts? This is high even in bodybuilding terms. Generally people say to aim for 1g/lb. Personally I hit about 1.5-1.8g/lb but that's just because I love meat!
    I got my bodyfat test done and the out from that also gave me my BMR at 2260 kcal.

Where did you get this done? Most bodyfat scanners are very inaccurate unless you're talking about a DEXA scan.
    My aim is too gain muscle. So +500kcals which gives a total of 2760kcals per day.

Good plan. But do not take this as gospel. If you aren't gaining adjust accordingly. Btw BMR does not take into account your daily activity though if you're BMR is 2260 then I think you might mean this is your TDEE which is your total daily energy expenditure.
    Again according to the experts my food ratios should be;

45%(carbs) : 35%(protein) : 20%(protein).

Therefore I should be eating:
    Roughly:
    1608kcal of carbs
    1251kcal of protein
    715kcal of fats in order to hit my 304.5g of protein and stay within the 45:35:20 ratio.Therefore the total calorie take in is 3575 which is quite a lot.

What are your thoughts? Should I just stay with the protein as the main objective to achieve and ensure I get 300g a day and a total of 2760kcal per day?

What's your source on these "experts"? There's a lot of different schools of thought on optimum nutritional levels. Personally I ensure I get a minimum of 1g/lb of protein and focus on keeping carbs lowish and fat medium. Don;t focus too much on specifics.

Advertisement