Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balance going down and up

Options
  • 26-12-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Heya all,

I was out christmas shopping Tuesday. During the morning I spent roughly €150, which would mean my balance dropped from around 370 to 220.

On the afternoon I went shopping again, but checked my balance (in an atm from my bank) first. Just as I thought, €220.
    I went and spent an additional 100 or so euro, which should have brought me down to €120.

This morning before going out for the sales, I checked my balance online. 280 euro. Thinking this must be wrong, I go to an atm, which tells me again what the online banking told me, 280 euro.

I check my statement and I notice how nothing from Tuesday morning was on it.
    My first thought was that the paypoints must have been offline and the payments will come through in a few days. But really, in 5 different shops and just during my first round of shopping?
    Also, I could clearly see on an atm that the balance dropped as it should have, which makes it even more weird seeing as the balance magically increased over christmas. No incoming money what so ever is registered on my account.

I took the money out because I don't want to risk spending it incase it would get deducted from my account (again), and I am now waiting to see the outcome of this.

Is it possible that something went very wrong on my banks part that morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

So your balance should have been €120, but it showed as €280. Did you withdraw all the €280? If yes the bank will look to get back anything that is owed to them. I do know that there was some trouble with AIB christmas eve, but they said they'd fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

johndoe99 wrote: »
    So your balance should have been €120, but it showed as €280. Did you withdraw all the €280? If yes the bank will look to get back anything that is owed to them. I do know that there was some trouble with AIB christmas eve, but they said they'd fixed it.

It should have been 120 by the end of the day.
    Mid day I checked it and it was 220, as it should have been at that time.
    This morning it was up to 280, higher than when I checked mid day on the Tuesday, with no money coming in to my account.

This is what I can't grasp, the balance jumping around like that. That's the only reason I'm getting curious, as I am used to money being pulled from the account a few days later due to offline paypoints, but not the balance changing like that.

No, only took the 160 that shouldn't be there out, waiting for my account balance to go negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i had similar trouble 3 week ago with my AIB account, to a payment online. It took 10 working days before the balance updated properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

lajtel wrote: »
    It should have been 120 by the end of the day.
    Mid day I checked it and it was 220, as it should have been at that time.
    This morning it was up to 280, higher than when I checked mid day on the Tuesday, with no money coming in to my account.

This is what I can't grasp, the balance jumping around like that. That's the only reason I'm getting curious, as I am used to money being pulled from the account a few days later due to offline paypoints, but not the balance changing like that.

No, only took the 160 that shouldn't be there out, waiting for my account balance to go negative.

I honestly don't understand your reasoning here. You should have had €120 left in your account but it shows €280. Whatever caused this, it's undoubtedly an error. So you remove the €160 that shouldn't be there instead of the correct amount of €120 ... and leave the balance to somehow sort itself out and put your account into the red :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

Teagwee wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand your reasoning here. You should have had €120 left in your account but it shows €280. Whatever caused this, it's undoubtedly an error. So you remove the €160 that shouldn't be there instead of the correct amount of €120 ... and leave the balance to somehow sort itself out and put your account into the red :confused:

Yeah, I don't like using cash and always use my card when buying stuff.
    I NEVER carry cash, and that's why I'd rather keep the 160 in my drawer at home.
    I don't want to risk the money being spent during a bit to much alcohol during a night out, or anything like that.

I won't be the one telling the bank they did wrong, but I certainly won't argue with them when/if they come back to me for it.

I know that these things gets sorted basically every time it happens, but seeing as my balance jumped around the way it did I am very curious on the outcome of this.

Still no sign of the money being deducted from my account, and a new paycheck coming Tuesday, so even if the bank were to take it, I'll have it covered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement