Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared dog during storm

• 26-12-2013 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

What do people do with their doggies?

My dog is terrified. I'm keeping her in but it may be a while to go out to do toilet business.

I let her out in last week's storm and she ran, she was so scared. Had to carry her home.

Should I lay down some newspaper on the floor and hope she uses it. Or will that give her a pass to go in the house even without a storm.

What do others do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Sounds like you haven't an enclosed yard for toilet duty. I'd be inclined to say... 1. Do not leave down paper (confuse the dog) and 2. Simply take her out on her lead to do her 'business'.

It's nights like tonight that it pays to have a crate trained 'indoor' dog that will 'go pee' on command! Not having a go at you or anyone OP... Just saying... Hugo is on the floor beside my OH, sat by the fire and we'll take him out for toilet breaks throughout the evening/night.

It really is awful out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

What do people do with their doggies?

My dog is terrified. I'm keeping her in but it may be a while to go out to do toilet business.

I let her out in last week's storm and she ran, she was so scared. Had to carry her home.

Should I lay down some newspaper on the floor and hope she uses it. Or will that give her a pass to go in the house even without a storm.

What do others do?

My dog would hold it if she was too scared to go out. But I agree with other poster bring dog out on lead. I wouldn't be putting down paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yeah, don't go changing the rules of your household when it comes to doing their business, it may seem like a one night thing for you, but to a dog it's essentially giving the OK to be doing it in your house.

Try and take her out as usual. The more you react yourself to the fact it's noisy/windy/horrible outside the more your dog will pick up on that and feel the need to be worried over it. Pretend it's a nice sunny day, try not to get frustrated with her (if she doesn't move or won't do her business), remain as calm as possible when outside with her.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rinaric15

I have a Cairn Terrier who is petrified of thunderstorms. I also tried medication and it totally knocked out my dog and made her sick. I would definitely not recommend using medication. I did buy something called the Thundershirt, which is a shirt that you wrap around your dog to help them calm their anxiety. I was shocked to find that it really helped calm her down tremendously, would definitely recommend this solution.

Advertisement