Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 battery issues

• 26-12-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I bought an iPhone 5 about 16 months ago. No issues with it until two months ago when the battery appears to be acting up. I could have a charge of 30% and the very next min it drops to ~10% or so. At shuts down at 5% and won't turn on. As soon as I plug it in to a charger it starts up and shows a battery % of say 28% and charging.

I know after 16 months I can't expect the phone to hold a charge as a long as it did when it was new, but I would still expect a steady decrease in charge rather than the sudden drop and jump when charging.

Anyone experience this before? Is it a battery (hardware) issue or possible software issue? The phone is running the latest version of iOS 7 and is not jailbroken.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Looks like a battery issue, maybe it was dropped. Is it under warranty ? look into replacing it. I asume you have done everything else such as hard reset, set up as new phone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Mine is the exact same, only it's 12 months old. The battery regularly goes from 18% or sometimes more and then switches off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP if the battery is faulty there is an option for battery replacement.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=iphone&select=BATTERY_REPLACEMENT

The link explains the cost. It may work out cheaper incase you get quoted an out of warranty fee (261 quid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've had the same issue with my 4s and my wife with her 5.
    Some forums say that it's caused by Facebook app running in background and constantly pinging info.
    Recommendation is to shut fully after each use.
    I' m going to try it over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

I had the exact same issue with my iPhone 5, sent it back to apple, they sent it back without doing anything, got onto them again after doing the online fault test on the apple website, they pushed for a replacement, the issue was reported to apple with 8 days left on the warranty so they honoured it, however, from what I have seen, provided you didn't damage the phone they have to honour a 2 year warranty within Europe at the very least. If I were you, I'd contact apple, and kindly request a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

[QUOTE=pogsick;88229003 however, from what I have seen, provided you didn't damage the phone they have to honour a 2 year warranty within Europe at the very least. .[/QUOTE]

No they don't. Not unless you have AppleCare. All products come with a one years hardware warranty from Apple.

kensutz wrote: »
    No they don't. Not unless you have AppleCare. All products come with a one years hardware warranty from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

pogsick wrote: »

Check the columns, first one is consumer law, second is Apple Hardware Limited Warranty, third is AppleCare. Consumer law is between the customer and where they purchased the iPhone. If it was purchased in an Apple Store or Apple online, then they'll look after it.

kensutz wrote: »
    Check the columns, first one is consumer law, second is Apple Hardware Limited Warranty, third is AppleCare. Consumer law is between the customer and where they purchased the iPhone. If it was purchased in an Apple Store or Apple online, then they'll look after it.

As the op said that he purchased it rather than got it on contract I assumed it was from Apple, either way the issue will either be resolved by apple or the network it was got with contract from, provided it was a network he got it drkm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Ive had 2 new phones in 1 year with the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If you are on ios7 check out the background refresh on your apps and see which ones its turned on for, this can be a major drain on your battery/data usage too.

Advertisement