Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exceeded my credit card limit on night out

Options
  • 26-12-2013 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

Can someone advise me: I was on my xmas party recently and stupidly went to one of those "clubs" afterwards.

Anyway I was already close to my credit card limit but managed to run up a bill of ~ €1000 even though doing so meant that my card exceeded the limit by €800.

Is there any responsibility on the part of the credit card company to enforce the limit?

I rang the bank and they said the policy is to allow 5% to 10% excess.
    In my case the excess was 13%

Do I have any grounds?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

asdf9999 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone advise me: I was on my xmas party recently and stupidly went to one of those "clubs" afterwards.

Anyway I was already close to my credit card limit but managed to run up a bill of ~ €1000 even though doing so meant that my card exceeded the limit by €800.

Is there any responsibility on the part of the credit card company to enforce the limit?

Do I have any grounds?

Thanks.

Do you have grounds for what?

You spent the money you will have to pay it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Limericks wrote: »
    Do you have grounds for what?

You spent the money you will have to pay it back.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 asdf9999

This.

hmm thanks Nervous: "this" that means "what he said" ?

is that some kind of Breaking Bad type of expression.. some kind of recent US slang

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

is that some kind of Breaking Bad type of expression.. some kind of recent US slang
    It means stop being a sad case spending money you don't have on strippers/hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I think it's more him saying he agrees with the post.

At the end of the day if you spent the money you owe the money.
    You could try to argue it, but in similar cases with ATMs giving out more money than people had in their accounts, it had to be repaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

None. It's up to you to keep within the limit.

Card transactions are not always real time, and some transactions don't even get checked with the card issuer (often they have floor limits, which means transactions under X EUR can be processed without authorisation).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Hi,

Do I have any grounds?

Thanks.

Was it a good night???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Can someone advise me: ... managed to run up a bill of ~ €1000 even though doing so meant that my card exceeded the limit by €800. ...
    Pay the money back, it's your debt.

Avoid any exhortations to lie and defraud the credit card company

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd like to remind some folks about the forum charter:
    No Dishonest Dealings.
    Don't ask how to get around repaying debts/defaulting/giving false information for loans etc - basically if it's not above board, and legal, it's not allowed. This includes advising posters to do it/how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is there anything else here we don't know about it.

I.e. did you sign for all this transaction?
    Equally if you put in your pin.

If you overspent yourself (as above signing/pin) it is your responsibility. If you somehow think you were scammed different story I guess but at the moment it does not seem that you are saying this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The limit is a theoretical ceiling above which the CC company reserve the right to decline an authorisation. It does not (as your original question seems to imply) grant you a licence to spend as much as you please just because either the vendor or the CC company allows you to exceed the limit.

If they rigidly enforced the limit, it would cause a lot of hardship for people who might get caught out trying to buy petrol on Christmas Eve or purchase essentials supplies for their family and who through oversight let the balance run to the limit. It's in everyone's interest that there is some leeway to cover unexpected situations, especially when on holiday abroad.

The rule to observe in a nightclub is to pay for each transaction separately, preferably in cash. I suspect you left your card behind the counter and you and your new found 'friends' swigged fizzy plonk and availed of various services in blissful ignorance of the bill you were running up.

Advertisement