Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardagh Challenge Fun Run- 16km and 5km. 28/12/2013

Options
  • 26-12-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Folks

Thought I'd post this

Sat 11am start, registration on the day from 9.30

Check out their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/A.M.G.C.G
    with instructions on registration

I ran the 16km last year and it is a tough little course- nice long hill around 2 miles in and the last mile from recollection is mostly uphill. It's run on country roads- which are open but mostly with hardly any traffic. It was well marshalled with stewards at all turning points. The field was small for the 16km (57 people). First male 57 min and first female 69min.
    There were more in people in the 5km fun run. Winning times were 17.56 and 22.22.
    There was a decent bit of a spread afterwards. Not chip timed but that didn't matter with the size of the field.
    I'd recommend it both as a race and a good tough session for the time of year that's in it. Eliminates some of the guilt from the Christmas over indulgence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I will make my way there from Mullingar. The worst of the bad weather should be gone by then. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I enjoyed this- it was a changed course from last year.
    The course was very tough- long climb at 3 miles followed by a few more with some downhills and then a good steep climb up near the finish. It seemed to me that there were more uphill than downhill miles so I never made back the time I lost on the Ardagh Mountain climb.
    Good value at a tenner with a good spread afterwards.
    The one downside was that the course measured long- 10.34miles on my watch and that seemed consistent with those that I spoke to after. I didn't care so much in terms of time but that last 500m+ seemed to go for ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I enjoyed this- it was a changed course from last year.
    The course was very tough- long climb at 3 miles followed by a few more with some downhills and then a good steep climb up near the finish. It seemed to me that there were more uphill than downhill miles so I never made back the time I lost on the Ardagh Mountain climb.
    Good value at a tenner with a good spread afterwards.
    The one downside was that the course measured long- 10.34miles on my watch and that seemed consistent with those that I spoke to after. I didn't care so much in terms of time but that last 500m+ seemed to go for ever....

Yes, I enjoyed it as well and was not worried too much about the course which was definitely about 300m longer than it should have been. Nice tough workout to wake the body up after Christmas and I was not chasing a PB up those hills.

mithril wrote: »
    Yes, I enjoyed it as well and was not worried too much about the course which was definitely about 300m longer than it should have been. Nice tough workout to wake the body up after Christmas and I was not chasing a PB up those hills.

I pbed- by about 30 sec- but reckon there was another 2.00min at least given the over distance so it was a good day's work. IMHO the course was tougher also so I'm very satisfied with how things turned out.
    There were some great performances - excellent from Michelle coming home in fourth overall and not pushing it to the limit.
    Might get a few from the club in Dublin down next year, could be a good social outing

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

I ran this last year and really enjoyed it, very tough first 3-4 miles but mostly downhill after that (except last 3/4 mile)

I see they are running it again this year. I'll be having a go at it again this year.

• Advertisement

I'll likely have a go again. I wonder will they have sorted out the distance? It's a cracking little race for the price and at a good time of year

Advertisement