Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma or LED TV for Gaming? (PS3)

• 26-12-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have bought a PS3 that is arriving in a few days and am also buying a new TV that will mostly used for the PS3.

My question is what type of TV is best for gaming? Also does having 1080p as opposed to 720p make much difference?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guccipimpin

Most PS3 games only render 720p, so if your TV will be used exclusively to play PS3 games, then 720p should be fine. However, if you ever plan on getting the PS4, 1080p would be best. However, keep in mind that if your TV is smaller than 32 inches or so, it wouldn't make any sense to get a 1080p (unless you're sitting unusually close to the TV) since you won't be able to see much of a difference between 720p and 1080p at that small of a screen anyway.

As for plasma vs. LED, it REALLY depends on the companies you will be purchasing from and your budget. There are a lot of pros and cons for each (although plasma is a dying industry, but they're still very capable), so we will need more information from you first!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A good plasma will beat a LED TV every time. LED TVs are just LCD TVs but with a more even backlight and take less power. It means they still have the same problems as all LCD TVs, washed out colours and poor black levels. If you get a good one it will reduce these but it's never going to look as good as a decent Plasma screen.

On the other hand a LED TV will be far more power efficient which is something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Do they newer plasmas still suffer from burn-in?

My panny one has hints of it from extended gaming but I only notice it cos it's hard to unsee after!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

kaimera wrote: »
    Do they newer plasmas still suffer from burn-in?

My panny one has hints of it from extended gaming but I only notice it cos it's hard to unsee after!

Newer models suffer from it a lot less and have much longer shelf lives. I'd still be careful about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Newer models suffer from it a lot less and have much longer shelf lives. I'd still be careful about it though.

Yeah it's fine with new plasmas, like I wouldn't leave your videogame paused with the TV on for 24 hours but extended play sessions (8-10 hours) are absolutely grand. From experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Didnt plasmas used to suffer from ghosting with fast moving images too? Have they solved that too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well. Really depends on the size op is going for. Small - medium, was never much point getting plasma, if they even did'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd be most likely getting a 32 inch, don't want to spend more than €400!

Agricola wrote: »
    Didn't plasmas used to suffer from ghosting with fast moving images too? Have they solved that too?

LCD's are far worse for this. Newer Plasma screens have pretty much gotten rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

What everyone else said, Plasma is better but you have to judge it in terms of price too. Maybe try getting a good deal on adverts.ie Some people simply don't notice quality differences with screens so there's no point going for higher performance and price if you never really tell the difference between HDTVs. PS3 its self renders its menus and SOME games at 1080p but the bulk of games and even apps like youtube render at 720 and just 'upscale' to "1080". My ps3 tells my TV it's rendering at 1080 even though its native is 720 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

+1 on Plasma for all the above reasons. It's a pity that everyone now takes the technology negatively and has resulted in plasma sitting in a niche market. On the plus though, they're well priced compared to backlit LEDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, Modern plasma all nice and sexy, but it is not cheap and only comes in big sizes.
    I am not sure OP is willing spending huge money on TV. And God forbid going for older plasma TVs.
    As much as people boasting about plasma panels, they got negatives too, which they always forget to mention.

Higher technology costs and complication of it.
    Higher power Consuption.
    3-4 Times lower life spam.
    Burn in is still an issue even with newer technology. Yes it is better, but not a 100% fix.
    Due to its design you can get only big sizes.

Plasma is good if you do use TV a lot and have money to splash. For someone who wants just to play some ps3 now and then - a good led panel will do.

OP said he got 400eu budget and 32inch size. So . Would just buy the best 32inch led 1080p TV. With ps3 there wount be the need for 1080p, but sooner or later ps4 will find it's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

When you narrow down your choice, you could do a search to see whether any suffer from abnormally high input lag.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fnz wrote: »
    When you narrow down your choice, you could do a search to see whether any suffer from abnormally high input lag.

This, lag can frankly be a pain In the arse.

What you should probably do is check out what's available in your price range, read some regular reviews and then check the online lag db and make sure it's not more than 3-4 frames (that's when people start to notice it).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p in 32 inch TVs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Is there a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p in 32 inch TVs?

Some say yes, some say no - depends how far you sit from the screen. At 'normal' living room viewing distance, it's probably not worth spending (much) more for 'full HD' as the difference may be inappreciable to you.

Advertisement