Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Dualshock controller left thumbstick wear

• 27-12-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have noticed the rubber on the left thumb stick is wearing away. It seems to be a problem in a common fault in the US. I just wondering has anyone else had any issues with their PS4 controllers. Anybody have any dealings with smyths over this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭IXIKALIMAIXI

Same is also happening. Left thumbstick is more worn down than the right, almost smooth in the center and around the edges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's a known issue. I asked amazon if I could send my control back and get a replacement. After some um-ing and ah-ing (they wanted me to send my entire bundle back, then offered me £38 to get one myself), they eventually gave in and removed the full price of a replacement and said don't worry about sending the one that is damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Yep, just noticed yesterday. After a week of BF4 theres a tiny little tear on the left sticks rubber. I remember reading something about amazon selling cover/protector things for the DS4 thumb sticks. Might be worth getting some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Known issue, big thread....hopefully Sony re-engineer the rubber coating formula: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jenjenten wrote: »
    Known issue, big thread....hopefully Sony re-engineer the rubber coating formula: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160

Not much use to any of us already with them - will be picking up a set of thumb grips myself and that will solve the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

would you not just get some FPS freaks they feel better and wont wear away and act like a cover for them http://www.kontrolfreek.com/fps/fps-freek-havoc.html

They look clunky imo added on to the sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If it happens to mine I'll be down to my local shop for a replacement or repair. Not a big deal as people are making out, just know your rights and you will be fine.

I'm sure they will be re-engineered and through enough replacements will have a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

i dunno if they would maybe if its one two controllers they might but not if its very common or maybe the other way round i dunno is it even a common problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I meant to post this here ages ago but I took this photo at a ps4 demo station downstairs in HMV on Henry street a while back, certainly rang some alarm bells in my head:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You would think Sony would have picked up on something so obvious. Is it only left, no problems on the right?

I've been using mine a lot and it still looks and feels like new, no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I have four pads with no signs of wear ....yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Both mine are worn...are they covered by warranty ? or by the shop you got them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's easy to take apart the controller and replace the thumbsticks. You can get a pair for €2-€3 on ebay.

If you bought on amazon, contact them and they'll refund you.

Got them in the megabundle the killzone one bought in gamestop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have had my PS4 for a month now crazy how time flys :eek:

Like i had done quite a lot of gaming with it say about 100+ hours and i haveint had a problem with the controller yet.

Like i have had my DS3 for 4 years now (The one that game with my PS3) and the controller is still like new and it works just as good as the day i got it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

somebody posted here a while back about covers for sale for the sticks. Anyone any ideas where they can be bought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

contact the store u got the console show your receipt and tell em u want a replacement, they have to replace faulty goods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

no problems here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mine's not to the plastic or worn down badly but the finish is smooth now, if It get's worse I just get onto Gamestop online and might buy a second one to use if they delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 locky_

Have my PS4 since Christmas, just noticed the other night the left thumbstick starting to wear after only a few hours of gameplay. Sent a tweet with picture to Sony Playstation IE yesterday, they responded with " we'd recommend you bring this back to the store where you bought it and they should be able to help you out". Going to call in to GameStop this week and see what the story is.

Yes thumbstick covers are an option but after paying €400 for the PS4 you don't expect the the controller to wear like this. I have the ps3 controller for years and with issues!

At the end of the day the product is of substandard quality.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vscd1tzz3csepr3/2014-01-02%2021.04.36.jpg

Let us know how you get on mate

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ronster29

Yes thumbstick covers are an option but after paying €400 for the PS4 you don't expect the the controller to wear like this. I have the ps3 controller for years and with issues!

Thumbstick covers aren't option, product is faulty. Needs replacing, I got my console in smyths and guy the at counter said that I was the first person to bring a DS4 back. He said he would have no problem replacing the DS4, if they had any in stock. Told me to ring next week about getting a new DS4.

Also it seems like it is only the DS4 that came with the PS4 that is the problem. The other DS4 seems to be fine. Anyone else the same as me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Got onto Amazon about mine I got the gamer pack which came with two controllers. looked for replacement 2 controllers, they wouldn't but they did agree to refund me £49.00, they wouldn't give me the cost of the two which was £98 if I was to buy 2 new one's from them. Still it's better then nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

my L1 trigger is sticking........

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cen92

Bringing them back to Smyths worked out then? I might try later on because both my sticks grip has worn off. I wonder is it a sweaty hands thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Got onto Amazon about mine I got the gamer pack which came with two controllers. looked for replacement 2 controllers, they wouldn't but they did agree to refund me £49.00, they wouldn't give me the cost of the two which was £98 if I was to buy 2 new one's from them. Still it's better then nothing!

What? So essentially they won't replace your controllers, just one in essence? That's surely not right.

Advertisement